Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Cat 2/3 in Shanghai - any experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SAS Diamond (*G), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold

There's great value to be had in Shanghai in lower categories for award stays. I'm visiting for several days and narrowed it down to these hotels:

Renaissance Shanghai Yu Garden Hotel (Cat 3)
Courtyard Shanghai Central (Cat 3)
Renaissance Shanghai Putuo Hotel (Cat 2)

Does anyone have any experience with these hotels? How do they treat Gold members?

Thanks!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:07 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
I visited Shanghai last year and stayed 5 nights at the (Legacy Category 3, 15,000 points) Marriott City Centre. At the time the Renaissance Yu Gardens was a legacy category 4 at 20,000 points. Now they’ve swapped places and the Marriott is a Cat 4 at 25,000 points and the Ren is a Cat 3 at 17,500. I asked for opinions and info and was advised that both were well positioned for a 5-night tourist visit to Shanghai. The prevailing opinions were that the Marriott was slightly more upscale with a better lounge, but both were good choices. As for Gold treatment, that’s more difficult to know, Gold is a new status, it’s principal benefit being non-suite room upgrades. Here it depends how you luck out on checkin, if the property is sold out your upgrade chances will be poor, even as a (legacy) PlatPremier I wasn’t upgraded at the Shanghai Marriott as the property was sold out the whole week of my stay. I know, I checked! If it’s not sold out, well China is very well known for respecting status, so you should get a nice room.

Last edited by BrightlyBob; Sep 15, 2018 at 3:41 am
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
I visited Shanghai last year and stayed 5 nights at the (Legacy Category 3) Marriott City Centre. At the time the Renaissance Yu Gardens was a legacy category 4. Now they’ve swapped places and the Marriott is a Cat 4 at 25,000 points and the Ren is a Cat 3 at 17,500. I asked for opinions and info and was advised that both were well positioned for a 5-night tourist visit to Shanghai. The prevailing opinions were that the Marriott was slightly more upscale with a better lounge, but both were good choices. As for Gold treatment, that’s more difficult to know, Gold is a new status, it’s principal benefit being non-suite room upgrades. Here it depends how you luck out on checkin, if the property is sold out your upgrade chances will be poor, even as a (legacy) PlatPremier I wasn’t upgraded at the Shanghai Marriott as the property was sold out the whole week of my stay. I know, I checked! If it’s not sold out, well China is very well known for respecting status, so you should get a nice room.
Thanks for sharing your experience and some context on category changes!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vd0t
There's great value to be had in Shanghai in lower categories for award stays. I'm visiting for several days and narrowed it down to these hotels:

Renaissance Shanghai Yu Garden Hotel (Cat 3)
Courtyard Shanghai Central (Cat 3)
Renaissance Shanghai Putuo Hotel (Cat 2)

Does anyone have any experience with these hotels? How do they treat Gold members?

Thanks!
I've stayed at all three properties. My favorite of the 3 is the Renaissance Putuo because it has a nice lounge; it's a quiet neighborhood for Shanghai; and it sits right on top of an MRT station. I tried the the Yu Garden hotel and left after 1 night. They upgraded me to a nice room, but I just did not like the feel of the hotel. The lounge was not as nice and the gym on the top floor was baking hot making it almost impossible to workout. It is in a good location for tourists so that is a consideration and the AC system should still be on for a few weeks so that will help with internal temperatures (this is a big issue with hotels in China, AC gets turned off I the winter and only rooms that face the sun can't get below 27C). I actually had that happen at the Putuo hotel so they brought two big portable AC units into my room. Courtyard Central is on the Pudong side. It's been awhile since I stayed there, but it was okay if you want to be in Pudong.

I'm Platinum Elite so I can't really comment on how Golds are treated. I would say staff at the Putuo tend to be more welcoming.

I'm slowly working my way through every legacy Marriott property in Shanghai. I tried the new Kangqiao property recently it's nice but too far away from everything, including MRT station.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Renaissance Putuo is good value but farther out. I guess the fact that it's on top of the subway station helps.

This will be my first time in SH, staying for 5 days in late October. I hope AC will still be functional! Didn't know that about China...
Old Sep 13, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I’ve stayed at both Yu Garden and City Center recently. I think the City Center is definitely more upscale with nicer rooms. Yu garden has a nicer tub if you care for those sort of things. The executive lounge is much nicer and bigger with better view at City Center if you can get access.

The locations are both convenient. I like how close The Renaissance is to the Yu Garden and it’s convenient to subway.

City Center is close to Nanjing Road which is another must visit.

There’s prob slightly more food options close to City Center so if you don’t get hotel breakfast as Gold then City Center May be slightly better.

I personally dont think Putou location is as convenient for tourists.

Im actually going to shanghai in two days. Looked at all the options and decided to stay at the courtyard Xujiahui. It’s a cat 2 and was only 10k a night so 40k for 5 nights. It’s a pretty convenient location with lots of shopping and food nearby. And metro not far from hotel. However, I’m mostly picking it because I’ll be there for 15 nights so the cost is somewhat substantial. If you are only there for 5 nights and mostly as a tourist. Then I would prob go with either city center or Yu garden.

My first night in Yu garden as a pre merger Gold was in a pretty standard room but when I returned I got upgraded to a bigger room with nice view.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SP03
I’ve stayed at both Yu Garden and City Center recently. I think the City Center is definitely more upscale with nicer rooms. Yu garden has a nicer tub if you care for those sort of things. The executive lounge is much nicer and bigger with better view at City Center if you can get access.

The locations are both convenient. I like how close The Renaissance is to the Yu Garden and it’s convenient to subway.

City Center is close to Nanjing Road which is another must visit.

There’s prob slightly more food options close to City Center so if you don’t get hotel breakfast as Gold then City Center May be slightly better.

I personally dont think Putou location is as convenient for tourists.

Im actually going to shanghai in two days. Looked at all the options and decided to stay at the courtyard Xujiahui. It’s a cat 2 and was only 10k a night so 40k for 5 nights. It’s a pretty convenient location with lots of shopping and food nearby. And metro not far from hotel. However, I’m mostly picking it because I’ll be there for 15 nights so the cost is somewhat substantial. If you are only there for 5 nights and mostly as a tourist. Then I would prob go with either city center or Yu garden.

My first night in Yu garden as a pre merger Gold was in a pretty standard room but when I returned I got upgraded to a bigger room with nice view.
I'm a Marriott gold (post-merger) so I won't get access to the lounge unless I get upgraded to an club room.
I find the brands inconsistent. Isn't the Renaissance supposed to be a more upscale brand than the Courtyard?!

I don't have that many points so trying to be as cost effective as possible. The Courtyard Xujiahui also looks interesting. Hope you can report back on your stay!
Old Sep 14, 2018, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by vd0t
I'm a Marriott gold (post-merger) so I won't get access to the lounge unless I get upgraded to an club room.
I find the brands inconsistent. Isn't the Renaissance supposed to be a more upscale brand than the Courtyard?!

I don't have that many points so trying to be as cost effective as possible. The Courtyard Xujiahui also looks interesting. Hope you can report back on your stay!

china is an exception. Depending on the property owner, some courtyard by Marriott might be more luxurious and upscale than some renaissance and Marriott properties. Courtyard shanghai city central has an outstanding club lounge with high quality happy hour and breakfast with a wide selection of Western and Chinese cuisine and even Korean barbecue and Japan sushi. And you can choose breakfast in the restaurant if you have lounge access without lieu of welcome points. Very impressive with that.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 2:54 am

As a Shanghainese, I highly recommend you to stay at the Putuo one. The hotel was built over a mall with all kinds of shops, restaurants. It also has in hotel connection to the metro line 7, simply guide you everywhere in town with cheap and time efficient transportation service. Among your choices, it's also the newest one. Btw you can't miss the executive lounge.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Typhoonpilot
Courtyard Central is on the Pudong side. It's been awhile since I stayed there, but it was okay if you want to be in Pudong.
I think Courtyard Shanghai Central is the one at 338 Heng Feng Road, not the one in Pudong.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
I think Courtyard Shanghai Central is the one at 338 Heng Feng Road, not the one in Pudong.
This is 100% correct. The courtyard Shanghai central is now a great choice due to the three subway lines that serve it and its generous elite benefits.

The pudong courtyard is also ok, but it’s like staying in New Jersey ;-)
Old Sep 16, 2018, 1:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travelinmanS

This is 100% correct. The courtyard Shanghai central is now a great choice due to the three subway lines that serve it and its generous elite benefits.

The pudong courtyard is also ok, but it’s like staying in New Jersey ;-)
Hengfang Lu is increasingly awesome. Drinks are on me if you want to visit WPP.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:32 pm

As a gold member, is there any way to get lounge access with extra points? thanks,
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Just finished a stay at Renaissance Zhongshan Park. It's a great location. Right above a huge shopping mall with lots of good eateries. It may be one of the tallest buildings in old Shanghai with the lounge at 58th floor. The view was truly breathtaking. It's conveniently located right above subway line 2, and next to lines 3/4.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:53 am

Thanks for sharing. Are you a Gold or Platinum to access the lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.