Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

2018 4th Quarter MegaBonus promo, 26 Sept - 31 Jan 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
Sign in to Marriott.com in order to be able to see the promo and register:
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/promotion.mi?promotion=FB18
  • Stay at any of our participating hotels and resorts worldwide between September 26, 2018 and January 31, 2019.
  • Earn 2,000 bonus points on all stays* of two or more nights and 1,000 bonus points per brand, starting with your second brand.
  • Play our game 29 Ways to Stay from October 11 through November 8 to learn more about our 29 brands and for the chance to win prizes, including points and free nights.**
  • Register by January 7, 2019
Nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for bonus points.

Finer print:
*A 'stay' is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity.

Registration is required. Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards (“Loyalty Program”) members who register for this promotion by January 7, 2019 will earn 2,000 bonus points per stay on stays of 2 or more nights at participating brands. Plus, members can earn an additional 1,000 bonus points per brand starting with the second brand at which the member stays during the promotion earning period. The promotion earning period is for stays between September 26, 2018 and January 31, 2019, at participating Marriott Rewards, SPG and Ritz-Carlton properties. A 'stay' is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity. Rooms booked through most third party online retailers and select travel agency bookings are ineligible to earn for this promotion. The member receiving this offer has been targeted and the offer is not transferable. Bonus points will be awarded to the member’s account up to six weeks after the promotion ends. Marriott Vacation Club® owner-occupied weeks are not eligible for bonus points and nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for bonus points. Only one room per hotel is counted toward a member’s nights or stay. Members electing to earn miles are not eligible for this promotion. For a list of current participating brands, visit https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/earn/hotels.mi. All Loyalty Program terms and conditions apply. See https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi for more information. Visit www.Marriott.com/MorePlaces or call 888-MARRIOTT (888-627-7468) for complete details.

Clarification from Starwood Lurker in post 125:
  1. In regards to the part of the offer where you can earn 1,000 points for trying a new brand…There is no minimum length of stay, but you only earn it starting with the second brand. So if you only stay at one brand during the promo period, you will not earn this bonus. But if you stay at 2 or more brands, you will earn 1,000 points for each of those brands after the first one even if the stay is only one night.
  2. You earn on every stay of 2+ nights, so it isn’t about accumulating nights. If you have two stays of 1 night each, you will not earn a bonus. If you have two accounts, you may register for MegaBonus with either or both accounts. You will only be able to earn with one account at a time because you will earn the bonus points in whichever account the stay was booked with. Example: If you have two accounts that are not combined: If you register for MegaBonus with your SPG number and stay with your SPG number, you will earn the bonus points in your SPG account. If you register for MegaBonus with your SPG number but book your stay with your MR number, you will not earn bonus points.
Print Wikipost

2018 4th Quarter MegaBonus promo, 26 Sept - 31 Jan 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I am curious to know the highest number of brands achieved by anyone here. For me, I'm struggling to hit 10 brands, but will complete when I go to BKK in January.

I did get my 11K SPG points (33K Marriott pts) in 2016 when SPG ran a similar but much more lucrative promo. Honestly, I think the likelihood of anyone hitting all 29 brands is so slight that Marriott could have offered 290K pts and still not have to worry about paying out.

So will anyone get over 15 brands? 20 brands?
I'll eke out 10, but not inclined to throw in any more just for the thousand points.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I'll eke out 10, but not inclined to throw in any more just for the thousand points.
I'll be 10 as well. I'm guessing these points won't be issued until after the megabonus ends?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
I can only get to 7.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I'm at 11 paid brands (1 award that doesn't count). So I'll get 20K bonus points. I may squeeze out one more brand before 09Jan but it doesn't look great.

I'll also earn 20K or more in the two-night bonus.

-RM
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
I'll be 10 as well. I'm guessing these points won't be issued until after the megabonus ends?
Correct.
secretalcoholic likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
For the 10 brand 10k bonus points, it did not need to be from the 2nd brand onwards right?
i am considering to stay at the W Bangkok instead of my usual favorite Marriott Marquis as I will be on 9 brands prior to this stay.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by shevboyz
For the 10 brand 10k bonus points, it did not need to be from the 2nd brand onwards right?
i am considering to stay at the W Bangkok instead of my usual favorite Marriott Marquis as I will be on 9 brands prior to this stay.
Correct. You don’t get 1000 pts for the first brand, but it does count as #1 .

So is anyone on FT going to even hit 15 brands? If no one here makes it to the halfway mark, it goes to prove how absurd the 29 brands challenge was.

Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Two stays, two brands.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 1:06 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN

So is anyone on FT going to even hit 15 brands? If no one here makes it to the halfway mark, it goes to prove how absurd the 29 brands challenge was.

I made it to the half-way mark. Not going to plan a random trip to South Africa to stay at Protea. Marriot can ... it.
C17PSGR and margarita girl like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET

If they put a brand tracker up, they'd get more brand experimentation. Then again, that would require someone thinking through the goals of the promotion and deciding what they need to do drive the behavior consistent with the goals.

For example, if I want people to try as many of the 29 brands as possible -- and recognizing all 29 brands is virtually impossible since Protea is only in Africa, I could program in the 1000 point bonus to post quickly so people see some return. For exanple, if people started seeing "Townplace Suites Megabonus Brand Promo" 1000 points post quickly, they might decide to try Moxy or Fairfield, etc. and there's really no cost to Marriott of doing it that way.

Imagine the drop in participation in McDonalds monopoly promotion if the free fries couldn't be picked up until February. The point of the promotion is to drive business and make customers feel valued.

Last edited by C17PSGR; Dec 24, 2018 at 2:42 pm
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:28 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I am curious to know the highest number of brands achieved by anyone here. For me, I'm struggling to hit 10 brands, but will complete when I go to BKK in January.

I did get my 11K SPG points (33K Marriott pts) in 2016 when SPG ran a similar but much more lucrative promo. Honestly, I think the likelihood of anyone hitting all 29 brands is so slight that Marriott could have offered 290K pts and still not have to worry about paying out.

So will anyone get over 15 brands? 20 brands?

I haven’t counted mine (I haven’t been able to see my itemized activity for over 3 months) but since reward stays don’t count I’m guessing 4 or 5 max. (Those are brands I would have stayed at anyway) This challenge seemed really silly to me (although I feel like a hypocrite saying that since I played the game for even fewer points)

For fun, my husband and I fulfilled the 11K SPG challenge. We ended up visiting 4 brands we had never tried before- Element, Aloft, Design & Tribute. It was worth it just for that since each brand impressed us in its own way.

We haven’t returned to Element or Aloft since the challenge but we would consider one on a road trip or airport stay. At the time I thought it was a clever idea to get guests to try new brands.

290K might have generated some excitement. I thought Marriott dropped the ball on that one.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by damon88
290K might have generated some excitement. I thought Marriott dropped the ball on that one.
I think Marriott/Ritz/Starwood saw themselves as "the pretty girl" and that all would come running even at (originally) 0 then 50 points a throw on the sweepstakes and 1K points/new brand or 29K points for all brands on the promo.

They were bad wrong.

David

p.s. In some ways, this points promotion was similar to MR's "brand badges" at 25 points/new brand after _2_ separate stays....yeesh.
margarita girl and KRSW like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:55 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DELee
I think Marriott/Ritz/Starwood saw themselves as "the pretty girl" and that all would come running even at (originally) 0 then 50 points a throw on the sweepstakes and 1K points/new brand or 29K points for all brands on the promo.

They were bad wrong.

David

p.s. In some ways, this points promotion was similar to MR's "brand badges" at 25 points/new brand after _2_ separate stays....yeesh.
I thought it was strange especially after Marriott was so generous with the 2017 NFL Twitter promo-Extra Point Sundays which was 1000 points every Sunday.

I think that promo had the spirit this game should have had— a few easy points for playing a game.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: AC e75K, *G, SPG/MR PPE
Originally Posted by damon88

I haven’t counted mine (I haven’t been able to see my itemized activity for over 3 months) but since reward stays don’t count I’m guessing 4 or 5 max. (Those are brands I would have stayed at anyway) This challenge seemed really silly to me (although I feel like a hypocrite saying that since I played the game for even fewer points)

For fun, my husband and I fulfilled the 11K SPG challenge. We ended up visiting 4 brands we had never tried before- Element, Aloft, Design & Tribute. It was worth it just for that since each brand impressed us in its own way.

We haven’t returned to Element or Aloft since the challenge but we would consider one on a road trip or airport stay. At the time I thought it was a clever idea to get guests to try new brands.

I could have easily done it, but the reward wasn't enough for me to change my habits. A lot of my travel is to the same city - Ottawa - which has 9 brands (Sheraton, Marriott, Westin, Courtyard, Fairfield Inn & Suites, Four Points, Delta, Marriott Residence Inn, Towneplace Suites). I usually stay at the Sheraton, and, frankly, I like that hotel. I'm a regular and the other brands aren't going to replicate what I have there. If they had sweetened the pot a bit more, I'd consider it. But I earn 9000 ish points there for each two night stay. So why bother?

I would have earned the 10th brand for the odd city I visit outside of Ottawa on business travel... but still. Not worth it.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by DELee

They were bad wrong.

David

sad part about this is that most of us are left with two choices: Marriott vs Hilton

hilton has been running so many lucrative promos, I’m afraid another devaluation is coming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.