Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

2018 4th Quarter MegaBonus promo, 26 Sept - 31 Jan 2019

Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: username
Sign in to Marriott.com in order to be able to see the promo and register:
https://www.marriott.com/rewards/promotion.mi?promotion=FB18
  • Stay at any of our participating hotels and resorts worldwide between September 26, 2018 and January 31, 2019.
  • Earn 2,000 bonus points on all stays* of two or more nights and 1,000 bonus points per brand, starting with your second brand.
  • Play our game 29 Ways to Stay from October 11 through November 8 to learn more about our 29 brands and for the chance to win prizes, including points and free nights.**
  • Register by January 7, 2019
Nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for bonus points.

Finer print:
*A 'stay' is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity.

Registration is required. Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards (Loyalty Program) members who register for this promotion by January 7, 2019 will earn 2,000 bonus points per stay on stays of 2 or more nights at participating brands. Plus, members can earn an additional 1,000 bonus points per brand starting with the second brand at which the member stays during the promotion earning period. The promotion earning period is for stays between September 26, 2018 and January 31, 2019, at participating Marriott Rewards, SPG and Ritz-Carlton properties. A 'stay' is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity. Rooms booked through most third party online retailers and select travel agency bookings are ineligible to earn for this promotion. The member receiving this offer has been targeted and the offer is not transferable. Bonus points will be awarded to the members account up to six weeks after the promotion ends. Marriott Vacation Club owner-occupied weeks are not eligible for bonus points and nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for bonus points. Only one room per hotel is counted toward a members nights or stay. Members electing to earn miles are not eligible for this promotion. For a list of current participating brands, visit https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/earn/hotels.mi. All Loyalty Program terms and conditions apply. See https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi for more information. Visit www.Marriott.com/MorePlaces or call 888-MARRIOTT (888-627-7468) for complete details.

Clarification from Starwood Lurker in post 125:
  1. In regards to the part of the offer where you can earn 1,000 points for trying a new brandThere is no minimum length of stay, but you only earn it starting with the second brand. So if you only stay at one brand during the promo period, you will not earn this bonus. But if you stay at 2 or more brands, you will earn 1,000 points for each of those brands after the first one even if the stay is only one night.
  2. You earn on every stay of 2+ nights, so it isnt about accumulating nights. If you have two stays of 1 night each, you will not earn a bonus. If you have two accounts, you may register for MegaBonus with either or both accounts. You will only be able to earn with one account at a time because you will earn the bonus points in whichever account the stay was booked with. Example: If you have two accounts that are not combined: If you register for MegaBonus with your SPG number and stay with your SPG number, you will earn the bonus points in your SPG account. If you register for MegaBonus with your SPG number but book your stay with your MR number, you will not earn bonus points.
Print Wikipost

2018 4th Quarter MegaBonus promo, 26 Sept - 31 Jan 2019

Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by crimson12
I can't seem to find it either, and no "Promotion Central" -- I see "Deals and Packages" but nothing there about this...?

If I click the link directly I see:
If I log in and then click on my name in the top right corner, I get a drop down menu which includes a "promotions" choice. When I click on that, it takes me to a page called Promotion Central.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:26 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Pretty useless for those who have a lot of one night stays.
C17PSGR and KRSW like this.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by margarita girl
For those of us holding off on combining our accounts, I presume that only the second stay in each account would be eligible for the promotion?
MG: How about doing what I'm doing. I'm also holding off merging accounts *but* I'm using my new SPG/Marriott account for *all* future reservations irrespective of the legacy brand affiliation (though in truth all my seven future reservations are in legacy SPG properties right now). Then your question is moot.

Probably around November I will merge my legacy Marriott into my new SPG/Marriott to accrue the 25 lifetime and 12 YTD nights and take me to 75 YTD for 2018.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by JoeWoodstock
All the professional services/consultants I know usually stay 3-4 nights per trip. Sales, on the other hand, is more a night here, a night there.

--woodstock
I think you're right in connection with professional services/consultants who are working on implementation. They often stay the week which makes this program poor for them because they have a lot of nights but not many stays.

Other professional services working at a strategic or program level and sales tend to have a night here, a night there with few two night stays unless they are lucky enough to string a couple of things together. That makes this program poor for them since they have a lot of one night stays, but not two night stays.

So ... I'm having a hard time figuring out "who" this is supposed to motivate. It's just bad all the way around -- particularly since I'm confident Marriott reservations must be down for this quarter since the reservation system has been so problematic and the average guest won't deal with it.

As for the bonuses for trying new brands, I get that. It encourages Marriott people to check out an Aloft or an Element and SPG people to check out a CY or a FI. But ... that being said, they all are to be avoided unless I'm in middle America (which I often am) and those are the only choices. Still that has logic from a marketing approach.

One month into the new program, and I'm not seeing any value or different recognition (maybe less so far) as someone who already as 100 actual nights this year with Marriott. It's as if Mr. Flueck doesn't realize that I have also enough Hyatt and Hilton nights to have low level tiers there.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by ftrichard
MG: How about doing what I'm doing. I'm also holding off merging accounts *but* I'm using my new SPG/Marriott account for *all* future reservations irrespective of the legacy brand affiliation (though in truth all my seven future reservations are in legacy SPG properties right now). Then your question is moot.

Probably around November I will merge my legacy Marriott into my new SPG/Marriott to accrue the 25 lifetime and 12 YTD nights and take me to 75 YTD for 2018.
Actually, I'm trying to book everything from my SPG account as it reflects my Ambassador status whereas the Marriott account only has me as PP. Unfortunately, sometimes I forget which account I'm in! Some of my January stays are in the Marriott account, so I should be combined by then too.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA 2.7MM LTP, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Nat'l Emerald Exec)
Simply can not register for this promo. Says I am ineligible, and Promotion Central is empty
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by tomwhom
If I stay at the same hotel for two consecutive days with two separate reservations, can I get the bonus 2,000 points? Per Marriotts definition of stay, should be yes right?
yes, I think this would be correct. But, is there a reason not to simply book as a 2 night stay?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by LPCJr

yes, I think this would be correct. But, is there a reason not to simply book as a 2 night stay?
Sometimes the rates don't "marry." For example, on night one, I can get a corporate rate at X which is not available at night two so one needs two reservations. Historically, I don't think the MR system caught that this was one "stay" which was largely irrelevant since MR didn't have a way to qualify based on stays.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by LPCJr

I booked the second day a few weeks ago with lower rate and has not yet decided the first day since my flight will arrive around 10:40PM and I plan to choose an airport hotel and hasn't decided which one. With this 'lame' Marriott promotion requiring at least two nights stay, I changed my mind to have booked the first day with a higher rate. During checkin, can I ask to combine the reservations to avoid any future haggle for the promotion points? I saw other post which seems possible to combine two consecutive reservations.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by estedman
By the looks of all these threads I see of people bailing 2020 will be a joy in the lounges because it appears they will be empty. Keep bailing guys more snacks for me.
That's a big assumption IF Starriott doesn't start closing lounges and converting them into additional rooms for the Hotel.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
I think I'm lame too. If I book the airport non-Marriott hotel rather than downtown one I can save quite a bit even taking into this 3,000 bonus points. I also plan to hit PP next year with my Chase credit card elite nights as well 5 nights gift hitting 50N so this booking helps a bit.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by ehallison
If I log in and then click on my name in the top right corner, I get a drop down menu which includes a "promotions" choice. When I click on that, it takes me to a page called Promotion Central.
Strange. When I log in, I see my name in the top right. When I click on my name, I see:

Platinum Elite
[crimson12]
xxx points

Overview
Activity
My Trips
Favorites
Platinum Elite Benefits

Sign Out >

Nothing about promotions at all.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Quick back of the envelope calculation for me shows this to be comparable to previous SPG promotions as a Platinum Premier with > 75 nights.

Take a typical two-night weekend leisure stay in Asia at a base price of $120 a night (in, say, Bangkok or KL).

Current Promo: (120x2x10x1.75) + 1000 + 2000 = 7200 Points
SPG Double Points: (120x2x6) + 500 = 1940 x 3 = 5820 Points
SPG 1000 Bonus Points (120x2x4) + 500 + 1000 = 2460 x 3 = 7380 Points

SPG frequently also had two-night minimum stays to qualify for promos so I'm ok with this condition.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by ftrichard

SPG frequently also had two-night minimum stays to qualify for promos so I'm ok with this condition.
Can you point to specific promos because I don't recollect that.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 9:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts
Pretty useless for those who have a lot of one night stays.
I'd say Marriott is making it clear what kind of customer they prefer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.