Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Destination Fees for NYC hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Random question/thought - US airlines keep the base fees low but then keep jacking up ancillary revenues, as they aren't subject to the same excise tax (IIRC). So net-net similar revenues but lower taxable base.

Does the same apply here? Are they incented to shift revenue allocation from base rates to resort fees for taxable purposes?
Actually, I believe taxation would depend on the state. For example, Hawaii doesn't have a sales tax but has a general excise tax that is levied on everything, including resort fees, parking charges, water and even food at the grocery. So in the case of the Marriott Waikiki or any other hotel, the nightly tax is taxed, the daily resort charge is taxed, and the daily parking charge is taxed. That's on top of the other taxes.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Sep 12, 2018 at 8:08 am
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
When will this BS stop? Add the fees into the rates and be done with it. I wish some government consumer protection department would put a stop to this...
There is not much popular in-the-streets support for AGs going after resort fees at luxury hotels, that most voters don't or can't patronize. Not enough people feel injured.

When an arbitrary resort / dest fee shows up on my folio and I cannot get it removed, I let the property manager know I will not return because of this practice. Marriott, etc. should do some loss analysis here. How much lifetime spend are they alienating when they shake down an extra quick, dirty, semi-fraudulent $25 or $50 a night?
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hyatt Globs are exempt from all resort fees.
kalo93406, cmd320 and jameswes like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Hyatt Globs are exempt from all resort fees.
Any DP’s from Ambassadors getting the fee waived?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by BearX220
There is not much popular in-the-streets support for AGs going after resort fees at luxury hotels
It's no longer limited to luxury hotels. Eventually, room rates will be zero with 100% of the charges going to "facility fees". Fees like this should be part of the room rate, and not an under-the-table cash grab.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's no longer limited to luxury hotels. Eventually, room rates will be zero with 100% of the charges going to "facility fees". Fees like this should be part of the room rate, and not an under-the-table cash grab.
I'm really surprised the local governments haven't gone after these fees because I believe they are exempt from the outrageous lodging taxes most jurisdictions charge.
Twickenham likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Eventually, room rates will be zero with 100% of the charges going to "facility fees".
At which time you will earn 0 bon-points on the $600.00 you just forked over. And Ambassadors will get twice as many points.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Aeroplan, Marriott Titanium (LT Platinum), HH Diamond
No destination fees at Renaissance Hotel 57 or Four Points Times Square (as of last week anyway.)
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
I've gotten the fee waived from the Marriott Marquis Times Square and the Renaissance Las Vegas and was told it will be waived in future stays at the Marriott Marquis in San Diego. I'm a Lifetime Titanium and Ambassador member so maybe that helps.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:03 am

Not awarding points for the payment of destination fees is ridiculous, as far as I'm concerned. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that US carriers that award points based upon ticket revenue include the value of fuel/carrier surcharges in these calculations.

Marriott taking this decision just encourages poor behaviour by their properties, and will likely cause a bigger issue down the road: how long until a greater proportion of the total cost is made up of a destination fee, rather than the room rate?

Another crap decision by Bonfire.
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Random question/thought - US airlines keep the base fees low but then keep jacking up ancillary revenues, as they aren't subject to the same excise tax (IIRC). So net-net similar revenues but lower taxable base.

Does the same apply here? Are they incented to shift revenue allocation from base rates to resort fees for taxable purposes?
It's not a tax issue, it's a fraud/false advertising issue. Remember when airlines advertised stuff like "$99*"[*] each way based on a round-trip fare, taxes additional. So the big number was "$99" and the minimum a customer could pay was $234. That got outlawed. These fees should be, too.

Optional extra charges (breakfast, high-speed internet, spa usage; or checked bags, food on board, etc.) that are actually optional and you don't have to pay for them if you don't want them are different.

I've seen hotels (Las Vegas) with $31 room rates and $28 additional "resort fee".
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Fees are getting ridiculous! It used to only be larger major hotels in NYC that were charging it but it's now showing up everywhere across the US. I cannot for the life of me justify why a hotel like the Lexington NYC would be ok to charge a $25 fee when others in the Marriott portfolio do not. I really think these fees are used to subsidize profits and that all it really boils down to.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Don't forget to ask for a replacement benefit. See this thread:

Replacement Benefit when Wi-Fi is included in resort fee
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Don't forget to ask for a replacement benefit. See this thread:

Replacement Benefit when Wi-Fi is included in resort fee
Link does not work. I blame it on the unions....
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gnargel
Link does not work. I blame it on the unions....
Works for me, but regardless.

From the Bonvoy terms and conditions:

Section 1.3.c.v. Participating Properties that have mandatory resort charges, which include Internet access, will provide a replacement benefit, to be determined at each Participating Property’s discretion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.