Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Sydney, Australia

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Having stayed at both properties and a number of others the Sheraton is a superior property for so many reasons and in my top 5 hands down.Even pre spg circa 1995
Though getting a suite upgrade for more than one or two nights can be tricky.The hotel has a just ok record over the past 10 years
It has gotten better in the past 18 months but now with Bontoy anything could change
The Sheraton renovation was surprisingly successful and looks great though bathrooms are mostly original vintage yet still nice
The fitness center is excellent
The property feels more luxurious and peaceful
Great views from upper floors
There is fair cooperation on late checkout for elites

The Hilton is satisfactory though doesn't do enough for elites and the hard product inferior IMHO though I'm sure someone will disagree
The Sheraton Club lounge is nice but I usually take the buffet ala carte selections in the restaurant and pay the slight up-charge as I like the selection better
Many are happy with the club as is
I avoid the Hilton at all costs and I'm Diamond for over 20 years

Other advice both properties play unusually massive games with revenue rooms/yield management
keeping prices artificially sky high high in advance of the stay and getting guests to fall for outrageously higher prepaid non refundable rates
Whatever you do wait till the last week or at least 10 days or less before pulling the trigger on non refundable bookings or any other rate plan.
As that's when the fair pricing comes into play just days or week of arrival.
I almost never do non refundable
Hilton games the system on award bookings especially in season as well as revenue hoping a hungry Diamond will fall into the trap! Many do
Unless a major event or convention is in town don't fall victim
My 25 years booking in Sydney gives me the historical wisdom to know exactly what I need to pay and whats reasonable based on time frame and whats in town
With the Sheraton would you recommend I book the nights with refundable rates individually? I need three nights so would booking them individually do anything to help my upgrade chance? What would be a reasonable room rate for the Sheraton in USD? Right now the sheraton refundable is a bit stiff at $260 and I see this weekend by comparison is $215. Looking for an april Thurs-Sunday stay.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:35 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Red259
With the Sheraton would you recommend I book the nights with refundable rates individually? I need three nights so would booking them individually do anything to help my upgrade chance? What would be a reasonable room rate for the Sheraton in USD? Right now the sheraton refundable is a bit stiff at $260 and I see this weekend by comparison is $215. Looking for an april Thurs-Sunday stay.
I typically would not book refundable rates ever at this property but to each their own
Learned the hard way as the rate dropped 100 to 200 a night prior to arrival on more than one occasional week before or days before check in but the rate was at 400 to 500 AU at the time
215 us is a good enough deal so that may be an exception and you cant go wrong either
at best it might go down another 50 us if really slow
No need to book separately as it might make things worse for you by confusing the hotel
Unless lower in cost and than email them to link the nights
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:28 pm

I typically would not book refundable rates ever at this property but to each their own
Learned the hard way as the rate dropped 100 to 200 a night prior to arrival on more than one occasional week before or days before check in but the rate was at 400 to 500 AU at the time
215 us is a good enough deal so that may be an exception and you cant go wrong either
at best it might go down another 50 us if really slow
No need to book separately as it might make things worse for you by confusing the hotel
Unless lower in cost and than email them to link the nights
I ended up booking the sheraton for two of my three nights in sydney with a non-refundable fee. Still trying to decide if I want to spend 30k points on the park hyatt. The reason I went with the nonrefundable rate (although I can cancel it for the next 24 hours) is that I was able to get 10% cash back, so that took the nightly rate down to $211 for a room facing the park. Seemed like a good deal to jump on or at least I hope it was!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:15 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

You can't go wrong.
Well worth the price of admission at 200 ish for really good 4 plus to 5 star property
And no better way to finish off with a final night and stay at The Park Hyatt Sydney for the final send off.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:26 am

You can't go wrong.
Well worth the price of admission at 200 ish for really good 4 plus to 5 star property
And no better way to finish off with a final night and stay at The Park Hyatt Sydney for the final send off.
Actually because the final night the park hyatt did not have any standard rooms with a view I ended up booking my first night at the park hyatt, The other reason for this is that I may depart early morning on my final day (not sure of which flight I will take yet) and on my arrival day I actually arrive at 6am. I may not be able to get into the room first thing in the morning but this will still give me the maximum amount of time with the park hyatt and should make for a very nice nights sleep for my jet lag even if I don't get a room with the view. I really appreciate all your feedback.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 11:57 pm

I am looking at a possible trip to Sydney later this year (October) and trying to decide which hotel to book. This will be pleasure for wife and I. It will be 3 nights (Thusday to Sunday) and I will have two credit card certificates to burn (one Amex other Chase, each 35k points) and I also have the 5 Suite Night upgrades that I will try and use. So, which hotel?
The Pier One offers a "Heritage" room for 35k points. It is the only redemption option offered. Photos of the rooms make it look rather small. Is that right? How likely is a Suite Night award upgrade to clear at this hotel?
The Marriott and Sheraton both offer basic rooms for 35k points, but then offer various redemption upgrade options (up to 50k points a night). I assume it a waste of points to spend more than the 35k now as I will be trying to apply my Suite Night award upgrade? How likely is it to clear at either of those hotels?
Any thoughts or recommendations?
Thanks
DAK.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Westin or Marriot Circular Quay?

I'm looking at burning a 7 night Cat 5 TP in Sydney in a couple of weeks. Sadly, the Sheraton Grand seems to be fully booked for standard rooms, (as is Pier One) so my options come down to the Westin or the Marriott.

It'll be a family city break (couple + well behaved toddler).

Which of the two would be likely to give the best elite treatment (I'm LTT)? Lounge offerings, room size and location are the most important factors for this trip.

Under normal circumstances iI would go for the Westin, but I​​​​ have read reports that children aren't allowed in the lounge at the Westin during happy hour, which would be a deal breaker as I'm not willing to leave my 3 year old alone in the room...

Is the Marriott on a par with the Westin. Are both of these much inferior to the Sheraton?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Bumping the above because since then availability opened up at the Sheraton Grand. I know for a fact that the Sheraton bans children from the lounge during HH, and possibly the Westin does too. The Marriott on the other hand does not have a specific ban on children, although they seem to occasionally enforce the max 2 pax/room limit and any guest is an extra AUD 90! How much Johnnie Walker Black would my 3 y.o. have to drink in order to justify this fee??

My question: should I pick the superior Sheraton Grand and have the certain inconvenience of having to take turns with my wife in visiting the lounge, or gamble for the inferior Marriott in the hopes that they are lenient with access to children?

TIA
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:52 am

Programs: A Few
I'd stay Sheraton or Westin, but only because I really don't like the Marriott (although patrons from the US, and cruise ship passengers, do seem to like the property).

Perhaps email both and see if they can offer alternatives for children? i.e. being able to have the evening drinks at the bar instead.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by ftaus
I'd stay Sheraton or Westin, but only because I really don't like the Marriott (although patrons from the US, and cruise ship passengers, do seem to like the property).
Yes - I tend to agree with you as I generally avoid Marriotts (I only ever stayed at the one in Potsdamer Platz, erlin 10 years ago and was quite unimpressed).

Originally Posted by ftaus
Perhaps email both and see if they can offer alternatives for children? i.e. being able to have the evening drinks at the bar instead.
Great idea! I'll do that straight away and report back.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by RafKa
Bumping the above because since then availability opened up at the Sheraton Grand. I know for a fact that the Sheraton bans children from the lounge during HH, and possibly the Westin does too. The Marriott on the other hand does not have a specific ban on children, although they seem to occasionally enforce the max 2 pax/room limit and any guest is an extra AUD 90! How much Johnnie Walker Black would my 3 y.o. have to drink in order to justify this fee??

My question: should I pick the superior Sheraton Grand and have the certain inconvenience of having to take turns with my wife in visiting the lounge, or gamble for the inferior Marriott in the hopes that they are lenient with access to children?

TIA
Don't stay at the Sheraton, the lounge is too crowded.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by MasterGeek

Don't stay at the Sheraton, the lounge is too crowded.
I'm hoping by the time I'm there in two weeks, cruise ship season will be over... Do you have any suggestions for a quieter lounge in Sydney?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by RafKa
I'm hoping by the time I'm there in two weeks, cruise ship season will be over... Do you have any suggestions for a quieter lounge in Sydney?
couldnt disagree more. The Sheraton is my go to for Sydney. Hotel was fantastic and I did not find the lounge traffic off putting.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:56 pm

Following the suggestion from @ftaus I rang the Sheraton and they confirmed that guests with children may take the happy hour at the Conservatory bar. That's great news as it was my original choice, but no lounge was a deal breaker for me.

On a separate subject, there are so many duplicate threads on the same subject (Sheraton vs Marriott vs Pier One; Westin vs Sheraton, or even PH vs Sheraton vs Westin) all with great info. I wish the mods could merge them all?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:07 am

We stayed at the Marriott Harbor or CQ and I now regret choosing it over the Pier One. Yes the Marriott is in a more central location but I think my wife and I would have been happier in the cozy Pier One and likely would've gotten a nice upgrade.

I was "upgraded" as Titanium to a small suite but the "sleeping chamber" did not have a window which gave my wife the creeps. The other room had a couple of chairs and a table and a decent city view but of course no Harbor or Opera House view.

The lounge was good and the service excellent (thanks to Joaquin!!) but otherwise I think we would have been better off in the Pier One even with a moderately longer walk to most city attractions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.