Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Elite Night calculation for early departure

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:01 pm
xar
Original Poster

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier

hi all,
company is sending me for a 3 week biz trip for a on-going project which I think can be done in 1 week. (Honestly the place is hostile so the shorter I stay the better )

Now assume i I book a 3 week stay and leave after 1 week (but I don’t check out) will I get credit for the whole 3 week or just 1 week?

Thanks.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You get stay credit for stays.

Without knowing the specific property and its location, it is impossible to say how the property handles security checks, but I have never heard of a property which does not verify your presence on a regular basis.

Good chance that in the end, you get nothing. And have to explain to your employer when the property calls around trying to make sure you are OK.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by xar
hi all,
company is sending me for a 3 week biz trip for a on-going project which I think can be done in 1 week. (Honestly the place is hostile so the shorter I stay the better )

Now assume i I book a 3 week stay and leave after 1 week (but I don’t check out) will I get credit for the whole 3 week or just 1 week?

Thanks.
Probably not. I would expect housekeeping to be checking the room (even if you put out the DND sign) and report the room vacant after their second attempt to clean the room. Normally the front desk will check you out and close the folio at that time. Would your company be ok paying for two weeks you're not there? If you really think you can get out of there earlier, I'd suggest booking multiple reservations covering the three weeks and then you can cancel the ones you don't need.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
If for some reason you got 3 weeks credit for a 1 weeks stay, it would be from paying for a 3 week stay.

I certainly wouldn't add 2 unneeded, unused weeks of hotel stays to my expense report if I like my job.

Unless you're paying for the 2 extra weeks yourself. But then it would be easier to just drive down the street to your local property and walk in/mess up the sheets each day.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 7:07 pm
xar
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Probably not. I would expect housekeeping to be checking the room (even if you put out the DND sign) and report the room vacant after their second attempt to clean the room. Normally the front desk will check you out and close the folio at that time. Would your company be ok paying for two weeks you're not there? If you really think you can get out of there earlier, I'd suggest booking multiple reservations covering the three weeks and then you can cancel the ones you don't need.
yeah my company is ok as long as the job is done. I Guess the stays are the least of their concern. Besides it’s not as if they are putting me up in StR or the Ritz. (Plus this gives me opportunity to get my nights for 2019)

Noted on the comments! Perhaps I can try my luck informing the front that I may disappear for a few days in between but let’s see. Hopefully Asian properties aren’t as strict as others.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by xar

yeah my company is ok as long as the job is done. I Guess the stays are the least of their concern. Besides it’s not as if they are putting me up in StR or the Ritz. (Plus this gives me opportunity to get my nights for 2019)

Noted on the comments! Perhaps I can try my luck informing the front that I may disappear for a few days in between but let’s see. Hopefully Asian properties aren’t as strict as others.
ignoring for a moment it's ridiculously wasteful to pay for a 3 weeks stay and only use 1 week of it - tell the front desk at checkin that you have a three week stay, you know you will be in town for at least 1 week, but you have to travel in and out of the city and you want a base of operations, so you want to make sure they do NOT check you out early. I would run this by with the management not just the front desk staff. The hotel would be happy to leave your room empty and bill you for it if you demand they do so... maybe leave some disposable toiletries and a cheap shirt of two as window-dressing.

be sure to call the front desk on the last official day of the stay to 'check out'...
xar, bhrubin and KRSW like this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your company is going to pay for 3 weeks at a hotel, plus I assume paying you 3 weeks of per diem, and so on, when you are really only there 1 week? And they don't consider that fraud?
KRSW likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by stant
ignoring for a moment it's ridiculously wasteful to pay for a 3 weeks stay and only use 1 week of it - tell the front desk at checkin that you have a three week stay, you know you will be in town for at least 1 week, but you have to travel in and out of the city and you want a base of operations, so you want to make sure they do NOT check you out early. I would run this by with the management not just the front desk staff. The hotel would be happy to leave your room empty and bill you for it if you demand they do so... maybe leave some disposable toiletries and a cheap shirt of two as window-dressing.
I've done that before for short trips back and forth and kept the room for a couple of days while I was some where else but two weeks would be pushing it.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I've done that before for short trips back and forth and kept the room for a couple of days while I was some where else but two weeks would be pushing it.
why would it be pushing it? its not like the hotel cares if you are putting wear and tear on the room or not. just talk to the manager on duty and specifically tell them that you want to be certain the room will be yours till the checkout date. If you leave the room and just hope for the best, sure they may very well check you out. If you tell them that you want the room, and that you are going to be traveling i cant possibly imagine there would be a problem - unless a group of 100 VVVIP guests try to check in and the property is oversold...
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by stant
why would it be pushing it? its not like the hotel cares if you are putting wear and tear on the room or not. just talk to the manager on duty and specifically tell them that you want to be certain the room will be yours till the checkout date. If you leave the room and just hope for the best, sure they may very well check you out. If you tell them that you want the room, and that you are going to be traveling i cant possibly imagine there would be a problem - unless a group of 100 VVVIP guests try to check in and the property is oversold...

I agree with Stant talk to the manager about this. To me the manager will gladly take the 2 extra weeks of paying for the room! At the end of the day if I am paying for 3 weeks of a hotel room it really is not the hotels business how I go about using the room as long as don't damage the room or do any illegal activity in it!

I am sure there are people out there that book a hotel for months because they are waiting for a house to be built ect and may leave the hotel for 2 weeks because of Christmas ect.
xar likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:56 am
xar
Original Poster

Thanks. Will post back again on the results in due course.

Also just wondering why would hotels not accept 'no show' or 'auto checkout if they discover you left early' for rates that were pre-paid ?
I can understand for airlines since it is a security requirement but hotels?
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by xar

Also just wondering why would hotels not accept 'no show' or 'auto checkout if they discover you left early' for rates that were pre-paid ?
Maybe they believe they could have sold the room for a higher rate? Or, what I have seen, is sell the room again and collect double? Money is usually the motivator in many schemes.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by xar

They want you in the hotel buying food and drinks. If the hotel makes money for parking too!
Old Sep 12, 2018, 2:57 am
xar
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Marriott15
They want you in the hotel buying food and drinks. If the hotel makes money for parking too!
Given that this property is in asia, there are plenty of other cheaper (and maybe better) food & drink options within reach. Also, Parking is free for hotel guests.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by xar
Given that this property is in asia, there are plenty of other cheaper (and maybe better) food & drink options within reach. Also, Parking is free for hotel guests.
My point was that is one of the reason's they rather have peoples butts in the hotels so they can sell the high priced food and drink in their own restaurant!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.