Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hilton Honors Elite Benefits Grid Update (Sticking It To Marriott Rewards)

Old Sep 9, 18, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/09/09/...riott-rewards/

Notably the complementary breakfast to ALL hotels for Gold and Diamond.

No resort fee to all members.
Old Sep 9, 18, 11:26 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
No resort fee to all members.
Marriott really seems to love these resort fees. They're creeping up everywhere. I find them really abhorrent, it's an underhand way of raising the prices for some ridiculous non-existent benefits: no I don't want unlimited long distance calls or 20% off overpriced SPA treatments.
bbbb, LPCJr and flyguy6 like this.
Old Sep 9, 18, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Hilton also gives top tier Diamond away for free, in essence, with a credit card. No guaranteed late check-out. Weak upgrade language. Uninspiring portfolio of brands and properties. No thanks.
BOStonTravels and adunker like this.
Old Sep 9, 18, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Hilton also gives top tier Diamond away for free, in essence, with a credit card.
How is that bad? Do you think Hilton is going to run out of free breakfasts? Run out of resort fee waivers? Run out of premium wifi? Run out of rollover nights?
Old Sep 9, 18, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 3Cforme View Post
How is that bad? Do you think Hilton is going to run out of free breakfasts? Run out of resort fee waivers? Run out of premium wifi? Run out of rollover nights?
Devalues what it took many of us well over 750, 1,000, 1,500+, etc. nights to earn, erases any sense of brand loyalty, a disincentive to actually improve top tier benefits...so yes, glad Marriott hasn't followed their lead and hope they never do.
BOStonTravels likes this.
Old Sep 9, 18, 1:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: A3*G, UA*S, MR PPE, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Devalues what it took many of us well over 750, 1,000, 1,500+, etc. nights to earn, erases any sense of brand loyalty, a disincentive to actually improve top tier benefits...so yes, glad Marriott hasn't followed their lead and hope they never do.
And yet despite that disincentive, here they are improving benefits. I for one hope Marriott removes resort fees on award stays
Old Sep 9, 18, 1:27 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Hilton also gives top tier Diamond away for free, in essence, with a credit card. No guaranteed late check-out. Weak upgrade language. Uninspiring portfolio of brands and properties. No thanks.
Not many people are savvy enough to realize it., much less see past the $450 AF cost. I wouldn't underestimate the number of people who are giving Hilton a second look after the Marriott merger.
Old Sep 9, 18, 1:44 pm

With the SPG Amex Lux card, you can get platinum status if you spend $75k on the card.
Old Sep 9, 18, 1:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
For a moment ... I was hoping someone was moving away from resort fees for their best customers, not just during rewards stay. But, clarity that suites are up to 1 Bedroom as opposed to the legacy SPG language of "standard" suites is helpful.

Originally Posted by FreeLunch View Post
With the SPG Amex Lux card, you can get platinum status if you spend $75k on the card.
The person spending 75k on that card is likely to be staying 35 nights a year anyway.
Old Sep 9, 18, 1:57 pm

Hilton is looking better and better. After 3 weeks my status with Marriott is still not correct.
BearX220, mcgahat and BCH like this.
Old Sep 9, 18, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR View Post
The person spending 75k on that card is likely to be staying 35 nights a year anyway.
Not always as there are people that spend $$ on cards, but only travel for vacations and a limited number of business trips.
Old Sep 9, 18, 2:10 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Originally Posted by RafKa View Post
Marriott really seems to love these resort fees. They're creeping up everywhere. I find them really abhorrent, it's an underhand way of raising the prices for some ridiculous non-existent benefits: no I don't want unlimited long distance calls or 20% off overpriced SPA treatments.
The resort fees, despite how awful they are and what little you get for them, I've somehow made my peace with. The new-ish "Urban Destination Fee" is what really rankles me. It's such garbage.
Old Sep 9, 18, 2:24 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Could you imagine earning top status 'the hard way' and shelling out lots of points for a resort stay and STILL getting socked with a resort fee? What kind of 'brand loyalty' is that?
Happy, ukinny2000 and flyguy6 like this.
Old Sep 9, 18, 3:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Beltway2A View Post
The resort fees, despite how awful they are and what little you get for them, I've somehow made my peace with. The new-ish "Urban Destination Fee" is what really rankles me. It's such garbage.
My favorite is the destination fee in Spokane ....
Old Sep 9, 18, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

HHonor program makes a lot of sense for those of us who pay every dime from our pocket, i.e. the leisure travelers who dont have business travel and corporations to foot our bills.

The $450 AF card benefits pay itself and then some. Plus you dont need to earn the status "the hard way" the Marriott program would require. The spend is also so much lower, or no spend needed. comparing to the SPG Lux card.

Not everyone needs a suite upgrade or a high end off the top property. We could not care less the SPG off the chart properties whether in the French Polynesia (been there done that some 20 years ago when it was a far better place), nor the Maldives (boring to the bone in tiny atoll that 3 hours would be more than enough to round the island by foot), nor the Al Maha desert resort, not to mention the ugly Mystique on very touristy Santorini... Mid to High end of the range suit us just fine for our travels which often take us to places that not many chain properties to choose from, or 4P would be already a huge deal (think Ljubjiana, Slovenia, and it is a very nice 4P to be honest).
On top of that Hilton chain has enough convenient airport hotels especially in Europe, is a big plus. They are very smart now building out Hampton Inn and Hilton Garden Inn at more airport locations when you would need one for forced overnight. SPG has some but not enough and other than MXP, other locations are very old properties. Moxy and may be AC, are Marriott's answer but they dont provide breakfast benefit whether it is for everyone or for elite.

Not having to pay resort fee or the urban destination fee is meaningful to those of us who foot the bills out from our own pockets. The easiness and low cost to become eligible for breakfast across ALL brands is definitely a big plus. The beauty of that is, you only need to have the card WHEN your travel plan may call for the need to be an elite. You no longer are a slave to chase the status. That is a big money saver to many.
bigbuy, rightpin, Schweden and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: