Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Elite night/3k spend on OLD Marriott VISA card

Elite night/3k spend on OLD Marriott VISA card

Old Sep 8, 18, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JBord View Post
I think people should assume the benefit remains the same until we hear differently. You can't expect Marriott or Chase to make announcements for everything that isn't changing, regardless of how many people stir up fear on a travel forum. Even if this rumor is more prevalent than most, I wouldn't want to set the precedent of confirming "nothing changes" if I were running the company.
Last I checked they no longer publish this benefit. So that's a concern. Maybe the language has been updated now.
Old Sep 8, 18, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott GE
Still listed as a benefit here:

https://creditcards.chase.com/marrio...s/elite_status
damon88 and cfischer like this.
Old Sep 8, 18, 3:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sngorman View Post
Nice find. That is pretty definitive.
Old Sep 8, 18, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
How confident are we that this benefit will continue into next year?
From everything that's changed with the credit cards and the elimination of doubling up on the 15 night credit for multiple cards I would be astounded if Marriott doesn't have a 15 night cap on all credit card nights per elite qualifying year. I could certainly be wrong but within 12 months I won't be surprised if they just upgrade every consumer card to their new one and it doesn't have that benefit...otherwise it would be the card to keep just in case you need some extra nights late in the year...
Old Sep 8, 18, 3:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat, WN A
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
There is so much talk about this benefit going away, they should really address it. Agreed, they would have to send us a letter with changes in conditions so I must assume this is still operational. Haven't spent much on the Marriott Visa card recently and I am thinking about dropping it in lieu of the new Amex card ... now that I am LTP I am no longer really in need for extra Elite night credit
Unless you have high spend and want to reach 100 nights to get Ambassador.
Old Sep 8, 18, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by davidsc111 View Post
I could certainly be wrong but within 12 months I won't be surprised if they just upgrade every consumer card to their new one and it doesn't have that benefit...
Actually there is plenty of precedent for legacy cards maintaining existing terms long after those benefits have been phased out on cards that are available for new applications. There are still legacy Chase UA cards out there with benefits (e.g., flexible PQM) that haven't been offered to new applicants for well more than five years.

Changing benefits is a different issue, obviously the issuers have the right to do that, though they are required to give notice.

I think Chase realizes that if it dumps the legacy MR card, it will lose cardholders, as there will be no reason for people to hold both the Chase and AMEX cards. They will definitely lose me.
Old Sep 8, 18, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat, WN A
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I think Chase realizes that if it dumps the legacy MR card, it will lose cardholders, as there will be no reason for people to hold both the Chase and AMEX cards. They will definitely lose me.
#MeToo Though I might move the spend to my CSR.
Old Sep 9, 18, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
excellent!
Old Sep 9, 18, 8:35 am

Hello:
Do the elite credit card nights impact renewal status in any way? My billing date is the 14th and I receive the Elite Night credits around the 9th of the following month.

I was at 49 nights with the new Premier Elite status. and just hit 50 nights yesterday.

Paid: 22 nights
Redeemed: 2 nights
Rewards Credit Card: 26 nights

I am currently Lifetime Gold Elite (new) with 414 nights, 7 years gold or higher, 6 years Platinum or Higher.

When I got my 50th night from credit card spend, I would have expected to get my 50th night to change to 7 years Platinum or higher.

Does anyone know if the year credit when you reach the level or at the start of next year?

Thank you
Old Sep 9, 18, 9:11 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeHyatt 25+ BadgeMarriott 100+ Badge

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Accor Diamond; GHA Black; SLH Indulged; IHG Plat Amb
So the Chase card has the $3k spend night credit, and the Amex card does not? If that is correct, I see no reason to use the Amex card for any kind of spending for people who have both cards?
Old Sep 9, 18, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by escape4 View Post
So the Chase card has the $3k spend night credit, and the Amex card does not? If that is correct, I see no reason to use the Amex card for any kind of spending for people who have both cards?
Old Chase card only gets 1x points on "other spend", Amex gets 2x.
Old Sep 9, 18, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by t1c View Post
Ha nice mine closes on the 8th also... thanks for the update.
FYI... it looks like the elite night credits for Aug and Sept posted today! Still no points for Sept though.
Old Sep 9, 18, 11:59 am

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Accor Diamond; GHA Black; SLH Indulged; IHG Plat Amb
Good point. That said, most people probably put "other spend" on cards other than Chase Marriott and Amex SPG. So to be precise and rewording my previous statement, we should put SPG+Marriott spending on the Chase Marriott card rather than Amex SPG card.
Old Sep 9, 18, 12:35 pm

Additionally, the SPG card earns 6x on Marriott/SPG spend whereas legacy Chase earns only 5x. Further, SPG card gets a 35k annual cert, while legacy Chase gets only a 25k cert.

The SPG Amex is the keeper of the two, unless you are willing to essentially waste spend at 1 point per dollar to earn extra elite nights.
we should put SPG+Marriott spending on the Chase Marriott card rather than Amex SPG card.
That's backwards.
Old Sep 9, 18, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Additionally, the SPG card earns 6x on Marriott/SPG spend whereas legacy Chase earns only 5x. Further, SPG card gets a 35k annual cert, while legacy Chase gets only a 25k cert.

The SPG Amex is the keeper of the two, unless you are willing to essentially waste spend at 1 point per dollar to earn extra elite nights.

That's backwards.
Ah, thanks I thought both were at 6x. So the Chase Marriott retains the 3k spend night credit, and has not been upgraded from 5x to 6x?

The annual cert is a different issue. I could renew a card and pay the annual fee only to get the cert, and then 25k or 35k does not matter because the cert is worth more than the annual fee. What I am considering mostly is on which card I should put my SPG+Marriott spend on.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: