Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

To avoid Marriott group, To stay only at legacy SPG Hotels, My Personal Vow!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To avoid Marriott group, To stay only at legacy SPG Hotels, My Personal Vow!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by 2lovelife

You missed my point then. We’re about 800 days into the merger, closing in on a thousand, and my stay pattern means that I can’t book a Marriott without threatening my status. Unless I double my spending, I risk falling from top status, to middle and all the benefits that come along with it.

I understand that there’s no love from Marriott for my consumer segment. There certainly isn’t much from FTers either. But, I don’t do it for you or for them. So, we’re even. I guarantee, that I’m not competing for your upgrades... that’s for sure.

Anyway, I will double my nights, and drop my other hotel statuses, and I will stay the extra hundred nights to get lifetime middle tier Platinum. But, there’s a sour taste in my mouth. The deal is about the worst imaginable. Another fact I can accept.

2.5 years in and still gloomy from the Marriott side. Question I hav3 is why would I want to stay at one now?
I can relate to what you seem to be saying. I have been traveling for business for over 20 years. Sometimes, I travel more than others. But I used to try to split loyalties between multiple airlines and multiple hotel chains. Unfortunately, unless you are on the road over 50% of the time, or want to get the premium credit cards, then it can be harder to split loyalties and earn top tier in multiple hotel or airline rewards programs through organic travel anymore.

If that is what you are referring to now, then that is a decision I made several years ago. In order to get the lifetime statuses I wanted, I had to commit to one airline and one hotel brand. We all make choices in this game. It's not the end of the world.

I think a lot of us are disappointed to see a lot of the perks go away. Chase is changing the rules as well, so we have to wait 48 months to get credit card bonuses on their Sapphire cards. The game is changing. Although Marriott is the brand you are upset with right now, Marriott is definitely not the only company changing rules of loyalty programs.

If Marriott had been more organized and integrated the loyalty programs at an earlier date, then you wouldn't be SPG Plt right now if you only had 25 stays/nights. It sounds like you are benefiting 800 days after the merger from the slow pace it is taking.

Last edited by jeanie; Sep 10, 2018 at 3:37 pm
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
I read this that OP likes being Plat Elite, but quals on SPG 25x stays. So to requal as Stariott Plat for 2019, OP has to stay at "spg hotels" only during remainder of 2018, so as to renew on SPG legacy 25stays qual rules

Come 2019 to requal for 2020 though that reasoning and option gets thrown out, as need 50nights, no more25stay platnum route, and this advantage of SPG v MR brands evaporates
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
The deal is about the worst imaginable.
I do believe that your imagination is woefully inadequate; I can easily imagine way worse deals and outcomes from the merger than what we actually have.

--woodstock
jeanie likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by submonte

I would offer a promotion in Q4 if I were Marriott. Alternatively to chose EITHER „One night counts double towards Elite“ (at „Marriott“ hotels, or generally, and cancel the stay qualification rule for SPG legacy hotels in the T&Cs) to avoid that (SPG) loyalists stay only at SPG legacy hotels to achieve Platinum status OR „Double Points/Triple Points“ (Mon-Thu/Fri-Mon) to encourage members to qualify on nights and to boost business.
I nominate 2x stays/nights credits. That way I might stand a chance of getting back all the stays I lost during the integration!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by scubaccr
I read this that OP likes being Plat Elite, but quals on SPG 25x stays. So to requal as Stariott Plat for 2019, OP has to stay at "spg hotels" only during remainder of 2018, so as to renew on SPG legacy 25stays qual rules

Come 2019 to requal for 2020 though that reasoning and option gets thrown out, as need 50nights, no more25stay platnum route, and this advantage of SPG v MR brands evaporates
If that's what the OP had said without all the drama, I think everyone would agree with him. It came across as an emotional decision rather than a rational one. It's the very definition of "cutting off your nose to spite your face".
Old Sep 11, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifer, Hertz Prez
Marriott was always my backup chain to SPG and while I do go for the convenience factor on location, I've mostly gotten better treatment at SPG hotels. After the status match two years ago where I was Platinum on both systems, Marriotts (especially in the US), always seemed apathetic at the front desk whereas most SPG hotels would acknowledge the status and were always more amicable to granting or checking for upgrades. Besides having some favorite SPG properties, I will likely lean towards former SPG properties vs Marriott.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.