Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

To avoid Marriott group, To stay only at legacy SPG Hotels, My Personal Vow!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To avoid Marriott group, To stay only at legacy SPG Hotels, My Personal Vow!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2018, 1:19 pm

Clearly your felt strongly enough about this topic to create a thread with a personal vow. I don't think I've ever had strong enough feelings about a for-profit company to publicly promise allegiance. So, maybe I'm not the best person to comment. Still, this is where you lost me:

Originally Posted by 2lovelife
Indeed, I had to put an asterisk in my original, unedited, post. It should have read ‘unless I decide otherwise’.
Seems like that vow isn't all that strong if it needs qualifiers.

For some reason, this reminded me of a friend way back in college who decided that "meat is murder" so he was turning vegetarian. Well, except for bacon....because he loved bacon. That exception made his position a lot less compelling to the rest of us.
mcgahat likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Of course you can do whatever you want but I encourage you to give them a chance. There are some really nice Marriott properties around the globe that treat guests and Elites well. Some have extraordinary lounges and amenities and have prefect locations. Read about them in the forum and elsewhere and give them a chance to earn your business.
If you want to stay in/with the past, that's certainly your choice.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:00 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Was the purpose of this thread to create another anti Marriott rant from SPG loyalists?

Why bother? If the OP stays in SPG hotels, then at least a portion of the room rate will go to Marriott corporate. It doesn't matter what brand the OP stays at. So the OP will still be financially supporting Marriott.

edited to add: There are franchise fees that hotels pay to Marriott corporate. So I was referring to the franchise fee when I said that part of the room rate would support Marriott corporate.

Last edited by jeanie; Sep 8, 2018 at 3:15 am
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I feel I should point out to you that Marriott doesn't actually own any hotels.
Well the Marriott family owns the Camelback Inn. Which is actually one of my favorite properties, and one I would continue to frequent even if I ditched the Marriott program.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by jeanie
Was the purpose of this thread to create another anti Marriott rant from SPG loyalists?

Why bother? If the OP stays in SPG hotels, then at least a portion of the room rate will go to Marriott corporate. It doesn't matter what brand the OP stays at. So the OP will still be financially supporting Marriott.

edited to add: There are franchise fees that hotels pay to Marriott corporate. So I was referring to the franchise fee when I said that part of the room rate would support Marriott corporate.
Not so much. Revenue goes to the operator (Marriott) who pays the hotel owner either rent or a management fee.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:31 am

The management of Marriott would probably be happier. They spent a lot of money buying SPG. It has to perform well or shareholders will be angry and they'll be on the chopping block.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
This is a bizarre thread. Yes, I will miss Starwood but that ship has sailed. I will probably continue to put a greater percentage of my stays with legacy Starwood properties just because they have some beautiful hotels, but they also have some crappy Sheratons that I will be glad never to step foot in again (looking at you Sheraton Alexandria). I have always avoided Four Points whenever possible.

Since the merger has happened, I might as well make the most of it and stay at legacy Marriott properties when it’s to my advantage. I’m also impressed with how many of the SPG benefits that Marriott has adopted! ^
mcgahat, JBord and bresnab like this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:20 am

Screw hotels and their BS loyalty scam, Im rocking' Airbnb.
now I can have whatever I want for breakfast, Vegemite on toast
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
I, 2lovelife, vow to stay at SPG hotels, and avoid any and all Marriott hotels when deciding between the two brands. I vow to spend my hotel dollars on the hotel brands that have recognized my business over the years.

comment or discuss as you wish...

First, there are not "two brands." Marriott acquired Starwood around two years ago, in 2016. The combined loyalty program is just a step in the process.

Next, there is not a "Marriott group" that you can "avoid." Even before the 2016 merger, most hotels were owned by hotel companies that typically owned hotels affiliated with a dozen or more brands, often including brands from Marriott, Starwood, Choice Hotels, Wyndham, Hilton, and others — and that's still how it is, except that Starwood no longer exists.

Well, you could stay at a hotel owned by the corporation that owns Sheraton: Marriott International Purchases 1,000-Room Sheraton Grand Phoenix For $255 Million, Advancing Company?s Transformation Strategy For Its Sheraton Brand | Marriott News Center

Last edited by Horace; Sep 8, 2018 at 8:37 am
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:50 am

There aren’t that many Marriott brands that would interest me to begin with — RC, Edition, Autograph, Ren and the occasional Marriott — and the few MR properties I’ve tried I did notice some cultural and brand standards differences in small little details that I felt odd. So, I’ll probably be sticking mostly with legacy SPG brands in the near future.

In fact, I’ve been booking several stays for next year and so far ended up booking legacy SPG only.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Short and Sweet,

This is not a rant or a threat of dissatisfaction!

The merger has been good for some, mediocre for others. It has not been good to me or for me. So, after years of excitement, theirs not mine, I’ve decided on a position that is not earth shattering, doesn’t affect the hotels I’ve grown to love, and doesn’t affect Marriott group at all.

It does make me feel better. And it keeps as many of my hard earned dollars away from the owners of Marriott hotels (*with possible exceptions).

If others love SPG as I have, I encourage you to pledge the same, or even make your own.
Momentum could have the benefit of proving a point. I’m satisfied with it being a one person stand, too!

I, 2lovelife, vow to stay at SPG hotels, and avoid any and all Marriott hotels when deciding between the two brands. I vow to spend my hotel dollars on the hotel brands that have recognized my business over the years.

comment or discuss as you wish...
All the more power to you

On that note, I'm not going to take a knee
Old Sep 8, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
All of the 30 brands are "Marriott" brands now.

Our brands

"SPG legacy hotels" plays a role if I would like to qualify on stays and not nights in 2018. If we want to book let´s say a Sheraton the booking engine guides us to the SPG page. I hope this will be temporarily only, to help to end this senseless discussion about "I stay at SPG legacy hotels only and not Marriotts".

Instead of being happy about the choices and coverage we have got now some here seem to have a problem with it. I stayed at many Marriott and Starwood properties in the past before and after the merger. Sometimes Elite, sometimes not, from Moxy to RC, from Four Points to Luxury Collection. There were small differences in brand standards in both groups, but I got the best service and stay experience under both Marriott´s and Starwood´s management before the merger and felt no decrease in service or quality in SPG hotels after the merger.

My accounts I merged at the earliest moment possible.

If some want to shift their stays to competitors, unhappy with the merger - I will do the opposite, that merger and one program is the best I could imagine for my travel preferences from midscale to luxury, business and holidays.
JBord likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by jeanie

Was this meant as plural? There are some of us (that would fit the stated view of "SPG loyalist") that are very likely being a bit more pragmatic and will now be choosing the property that works best for the location that we are staying and using the loyalty program to our own best advantage. . No need to use a paint roller or sprayer, when a fine tip brush would work. And if someone is choosing to stay at only certain properties, and feels strongly enough to start a thread and make some pledge, they can have at it. It might come a a shock to some, that there are people out that are less than thrilled with the execution of the merger.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 5:53 pm

I think you qualified on stays, so yeah, I understand your disenchantment.

So you won't stay at the Marriott Queens Park if it's comparable in price (or even cheaper) to the ROS?

-David
Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:20 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
We all know it's meaningless to anyone but the OP, but if it somehow makes the OP feel better, go for it!

I just don't know what will happen when (not if) Marriott unveils new Sheraton, Westin, and St. Regis properties. It's going to be hard to keep track of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.