FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Favorite Marriott in Rochester, NY area (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1929314-favorite-marriott-rochester-ny-area.html)

3galsontour Sep 6, 2018 1:54 pm

Favorite Marriott in Rochester, NY area

I am looking fro stay for one night in a hotel in Rochester that is near some good restaurants. College trip with daughter so a nice restaurant option nearby is great. Driving from Albany so even stopping enroute if a hotel is worth it is a thought. I am platinum as well so it may help with a room. I did wonder about the Del Monte Renaissance Rochester Hotel and Spa and if it is worthwhile.

Catskilltraveller Sep 6, 2018 7:02 pm

The Del Monte is the real deal

KRSW Sep 6, 2018 10:37 pm

Well, we are talking Rochester, NY...so if you want a "nice" restaurant, your only option is to stay in Pittsford, which is where The Del Monte is.

If you're looking slightly less posh, I usually stay at the Residence Inn in Greece, NY. It's centrally located next to 390. Walking distance to The Distillery, Applebee's (meh), and Olive Garden (meh). It's also close (driving distance) to Wegman's & the Greece Mall. It's only a 10 minute drive from the epitome of haut cuisine in Rochester, Nick Tahou's, home of the Garbage Plate.

rstidolph Sep 7, 2018 5:12 am

Del Monte in Pittsford

hhoope01 Sep 7, 2018 11:54 am

Originally Posted by KRSW (Post 30176959)
It's only a 10 minute drive from the epitome of haut cuisine in Rochester, Nick Tahou's, home of the Garbage Plate.

If you are looking for a unique place to eat, you know this isn't a normal order when they have to bring you a huge chunk of bread to absorb the grease that would otherwise overflow from your plate. :eek: But if you're in the area and have never been there, it is worth going at least once.

getagb Sep 7, 2018 2:17 pm

The Rochester Airport Marriott has nice decor for an airport hotel. The food and rooms were satisfactory, nothing special. I had no problems with the stay and would stay there again.

I thought about staying at the Del Monte but it was about $100/night more and a bit out of my way so I never got to check it out. Maybe next time.

Catskilltraveller Sep 7, 2018 6:11 pm

I have stayed at the airport Marriott. The Del Monte is so superior. No comparison

KRSW Sep 12, 2018 9:51 pm

The Del Monte is by-far the best Marriott property in the area. Ironically, the Airport Marriott and Residence Inn (Greece) are also owned by the Del Monte Group.

I'm not fond of the "Airport" Marriott...It's not a bad hotel by any means, but it has a few issues in my book. It's not near the airport and right across the street is the RI, where I can get a suite for less than a room at the Airport Marriott. I'm mixed on the latest renovation of the Marriott. I agree it needed an overhaul, but the new battleship/prison-gray of all the common areas isn't great. The rooms remind me much more of a Courtyard, but with bathrooms that are poorly laid out. Want to shave at the sink? That'd be nice, but someone put the sink dead-center in the room...with the toilet in the way.

PaulInTheSky Sep 13, 2018 4:27 pm

Del Monte - Pittsford is the best. Erie Grill is their restaurant. It can be packed depending on when you get there. They offer some solid dinner options.

I have stayed a few properties there before. The good restaurants are the likes of 'The Next Door by Wegmans' right at Pittsford, 'Shiki' closer to downtown, 'Sodam-Korean' in Henrietta. 'The Gate House' at downtown.

Courtyard Brighton - Not terrible.
Residence Inn Greece - Pretty solid
Rochester Marriott Airport - It's modernized, better that most.

If you are looking for Marriott in downtown, unfortunately there are none - You really need to have a car to navigate.

Chewie Sep 13, 2018 4:38 pm

Del Monte! Get the “refuse” plate at the bar. You’re welcome.

EleanorMcDaniel Sep 14, 2018 5:14 am

We like the Courtyard Brighton, our son is at RIT. There is the steak place Delmonico's right across the street which is super.

Puckman Sep 17, 2018 7:06 am

Just completed a weekend stay at the Del Monte. Great hotel and wonderful staff. You won't regret the choice.

SkiAdcock Sep 17, 2018 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by Puckman (Post 30212609)
Just completed a weekend stay at the Del Monte. Great hotel and wonderful staff. You won't regret the choice.

What's the breakfast situation? Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky. Thx.

Cheers.

Catskilltraveller Sep 17, 2018 6:11 pm

My wife and I always get a complete breakfast compensated in the Erie Grill. I have always had Platinum status when staying there.

Puckman Nov 20, 2018 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 30213687)
What's the breakfast situation? Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky. Thx.

Cheers.

Breakfast was room service. One meal choice per person (whatever you wanted) along with drinks and choice of bread. Really great food too.