Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Platinum Challenge General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Platinum Challenge General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Ausriver
Just completed my 16th night on Mon, and about 30 hours after check out, before the stay actually credited, upgraded to Platinum.

However, how do I found out how long my status valid to? I've heard that anyone upgraded since March will have almost 2 years of status... Is that true.
Just completed my 16th night on Sunday, and today the stay and the status change were reflected in my account online and in the app.

I couldn't find the status validity date either, so I called and they said it's showing in my account as January 2021.
Dav77 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
Just completed my 16th night on Sunday, and today the stay and the status change were reflected in my account online and in the app.

I couldn't find the status validity date either, so I called and they said it's showing in my account as January 2021.
Just completed my 16th night on Monday and been upgraded to Platinum on tuesday morning. Hooray! It is great to know it will last till January 2021. Thank you.
Dav77 likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: Hilton-Diamond, SPG-Platinum, United Airlines-Global Services
Can I do simultaneous nights at different properties?

I just started my platinum challenge and have a work trip coming up to Atlanta. I found an inexpensive property outside of Atlanta that I'm considering booking to use as a mattress run to meet my 16 nights ( only $85 per night). But to do that I would have a reservation at my work related hotel and a simultaneous reservation at this cheap hotel. Does anyone know if I book two stays at two different hotels that overlap in dates whether those nights from both stays would all count towards my 16 nights? Thanks.
Old May 9, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by wayman28
I just started my platinum challenge and have a work trip coming up to Atlanta. I found an inexpensive property outside of Atlanta that I'm considering booking to use as a mattress run to meet my 16 nights ( only $85 per night). But to do that I would have a reservation at my work related hotel and a simultaneous reservation at this cheap hotel. Does anyone know if I book two stays at two different hotels that overlap in dates whether those nights from both stays would all count towards my 16 nights? Thanks.
Since to get credit for a stay or night you physically have to be present at the hotel, I think you're going to have major issues with this approach.
Old May 9, 2019, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson
Since to get credit for a stay or night you physically have to be present at the hotel, I think you're going to have major issues with this approach.
I would be able to physically check in to each property since they are only about 15 minutes apart. After checking in in-person the hotels don't track your comings and goings. And I never checkout at the front desk, just do automatic checkout. Are you suggesting something different? Thanks for your reply.
Old May 9, 2019, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MVPG, DL Silver, United Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Ambassador
I would be able to physically check in to each property since they are only about 15 minutes apart. After checking in in-person the hotels don't track your comings and goings. And I never checkout at the front desk, just do automatic checkout. Are you suggesting something different? Thanks for your reply.
I think Marriott's systems verify overlapping nights (with the same date). Since you physically can't be sleeping in two locations, they wouldn't credit you additional nights or stays. BTW as I remember Starwood did allow up to three rooms on the same date for multiple night credit - but this was discontinued with Marriott.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Did anyone get confirmation if reward nights count toward the challenge? What about nights booked through 3rd parties (Air Miles, ExpediaforTD, etc.)?

Thanks.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Physically checking in isn't all that matters. The system won't post overlapping stays because you can't sleep at two properties on the same night.

It will only give you credit for one stay, or the other. Not both. There is no way getting around this, and even if you did, the integrity system would catch it and demote you.

Originally Posted by jimmygottfredson
I think Marriott's systems verify overlapping nights (with the same date). Since you physically can't be sleeping in two locations, they wouldn't credit you additional nights or stays. BTW as I remember Starwood did allow up to three rooms on the same date for multiple night credit - but this was discontinued with Marriott.
Exactly this. Except, with Starwood, you could get credit for up to 3 rooms at the same property. It never allowed credit at two different properties on the same night.
jimmygottfredson likes this.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by yscleo
Did anyone get confirmation if reward nights count toward the challenge? What about nights booked through 3rd parties (Air Miles, ExpediaforTD, etc.)?

Thanks.
Nights booked through 3rd parties have never counted. It must be an eligible rate, which is defined in the T&Cs but basically has to be booked through an eligible Marriott channel. The closest to 3rd parties is a corporate TA, but using Expedia or anything else for personal travel has never counted and still doesn't.
Old May 9, 2019, 5:44 pm

Can I do simultaneous nights at different properties?

Thanks everyone for your replies. Looks like I will have to think of something else. Much appreciated.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Nights booked through 3rd parties have never counted. It must be an eligible rate, which is defined in the T&Cs but basically has to be booked through an eligible Marriott channel. The closest to 3rd parties is a corporate TA, but using Expedia or anything else for personal travel has never counted and still doesn't.
Thanks. What about reward nights? Now the reward nights count toward the nights required for elite status, so it'd be nice if they also count to ward the challenge nights.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:09 am

Reward nights do not count toward the challenge. I asked that specific question when setting up my challenge with Marriott a couple days ago.
jimmygottfredson and Dav77 like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
FWIW, reward nights do count when doing the Hilton Diamond challenge.
Old May 12, 2019, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
FWIW, reward nights do count when doing the Hilton Diamond challenge.
Yeah, but Hilton will give you Diamond for signing up a credit card. Point being, they want to monetize and incentivize anything and everything.

This is the Marriott forum...
Old May 12, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Yeah, but Hilton will give you Diamond for signing up a credit card. Point being, they want to monetize and incentivize anything and everything.
CC is not an option if you are one of those indescribably rare and exotic specimens of humanity that live outside the USA (rumors are that some even post on this forum).

This is the Marriott forum...
Hence, the use of “FWIW”.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.