Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Platinum Challenge General Discussion Thread

Marriott Platinum Challenge General Discussion Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:14 pm

@Starwood Lurker

(hopefully I did the @ right)

From the terms and conditions I was emailed by Marriott (and posted in full on post #25 earlier in this thread).

"- Nights spent while redeeming an award are eligible for credit toward this promotion. "

It does reference "Paid stays" in a couple places earlier in the terms but it has the above clause further down. Most CSRs I've spoken to initially said "paid only" which makes sense if you only look at the first 3 or 4 bullets but all have said "oh wait" after they got to this clause.

Also I have a datapoint to report. I recently had a 3 night stay, 2 nights on points one with cash. I called to ask how many nights credit showed up for this challenge from that stay and was told 3.

I have the above terms in my email along with the CSR who sent them to me and plan to hit Platinum with a mix of paid and award stays. I will be an exceptionally unhappy person if the terms I was given aren't honored.
ezak likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Before bringing more platinum at a cheap price Marriott should first solve the issues with their ambassadors and platinum benefits recognition.
My 2 cents
EuropeanPete and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by tygran37
Here's the full Platinum terms. Gold terms are basically the same except 8 nights vs 16.

Platinum Elite Status Challenge Terms & Conditions:

- This promotion is for existing members of the Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards and SPG members
- Registration is required
- Existing Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards and SPG members with base membership, Silver Elite or Gold Elite status are eligible for this promotion; members at Platinum Elite tier are ineligible for this offer.
- Upon making 16 qualifying paid nights within 90 days of date of registration, participant will receive Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards or SPG Platinum Elite status for up to one year, based on their loyalty program affiliation. After the first year, Platinum Elite status will be retained by staying the required number of qualifying nights under the terms of the Marriott Rewards, The RitzCarlton Rewards and the SPG programs.
- If member does not make 16 qualifying paid nights within 90 days of their date of registration, member will be changed to the membership level which corresponds to number of nights stayed: Member tier for 0-9 nights stayed, Silver Elite tier for 10- 24 nights stayed and Gold Elite tier for 25 – 49 nights stayed.
- Nights stayed prior to enrollment are not eligible for this offer.
- A 'stay' is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity.
Credit toward this promotion is given for night stays with participating Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards and SPG hotels which occur within the earning period.
- For a list of current Rewards participating brands, visit http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/earn/hotels.mi
- For a list of current SPG participating brands, visit https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...categoryId=bra nd.ourBrands
- Stays at our exclusive luxury hotel partner, The Ritz-Carlton® , will count toward achievement. - Only one room per hotel is counted toward a member's nights.
- Nights spent while redeeming an award are eligible for credit toward this promotion.
- Marriott Vacation Club owner-occupied weeks are not eligible for credit. CEC Status Challenge Offers Terms & Conditions 3
- Elite benefits vary by brands and based on availability.
- Offer is non-transferable. Offer is valid for one-time use. This promotion is subject to modification, cancellation, or limitation at Marriott’s discretion, with or without notice.
A member can only register for this promotion once between September 1, 2018 and December 31, 2021.
I would assume that Platinum achieved through this challenge does not qailify for the Platinum Elite Annual Choice benefit?

If it does or doesn't, there's no mention either way.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:08 pm

Seconded. The CSRs I spoke with earlier (when I signed up) also confirmed that award stays count by READING from the exact clause. My previous understanding is that some CSRs say award stays don't count because they didn't read the T&C through, and that Marriott's intention IS to make them count, hence this clause.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by ezak
Seconded. The CSRs I spoke with earlier (when I signed up) also confirmed that award stays count by READING from the exact clause. My previous understanding is that some CSRs say award stays don't count because they didn't read the T&C through, and that Marriott's intention IS to make them count, hence this clause.
Thirded. My CSR also read from terms and conditions that explicitly stated award nights do count.

Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
I would assume that Platinum achieved through this challenge does not qailify for the Platinum Elite Annual Choice benefit?

If it does or doesn't, there's no mention either way.
My guess is no because you need 50 nights per the regular terms and conditions online:
"Annual Choice Benefit. A Platinum Elite Member who has achieved fifty (50) eligible Elite Night Credits annually is eligible to receive one (1) additional benefit..."
Old Oct 4, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: HH-D / IHG-Sp / Marriott-P / LH-SEN / BA-S
Here's the full Platinum terms. Gold terms are basically the same except 8 nights vs 16.

Platinum Elite Status Challenge Terms & Conditions:

- This promotion is for existing members of the Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards and SPG members
- Registration is required
- Existing Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards and SPG members with base membership, Silver Elite or Gold Elite status are eligible for this promotion; members at Platinum Elite tier are ineligible for this offer.
- Upon making 16 qualifying paid nights within 90 days of date of registration, participant will receive Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards or SPG Platinum Elite status for up to one year, based on their loyalty program affiliation. After the first year, Platinum Elite status will be retained by staying the required number of qualifying nights under the terms of the Marriott Rewards, The RitzCarlton Rewards and the SPG programs.
- If member does not make 16 qualifying paid nights within 90 days of their date of registration, member will be changed to the membership level which corresponds to number of nights stayed: Member tier for 0-9 nights stayed, Silver Elite tier for 10- 24 nights stayed and Gold Elite tier for 25 – 49 nights stayed.
- Nights stayed prior to enrollment are not eligible for this offer.
- A 'stay' is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity.
Credit toward this promotion is given for night stays with participating Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards and SPG hotels which occur within the earning period.
- For a list of current Rewards participating brands, visit http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rewards/earn/hotels.mi
- For a list of current SPG participating brands, visit https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...categoryId=bra nd.ourBrands
- Stays at our exclusive luxury hotel partner, The Ritz-Carlton® , will count toward achievement. - Only one room per hotel is counted toward a member's nights.
- Nights spent while redeeming an award are eligible for credit toward this promotion.
- Marriott Vacation Club owner-occupied weeks are not eligible for credit. CEC Status Challenge Offers Terms & Conditions 3
- Elite benefits vary by brands and based on availability.
- Offer is non-transferable. Offer is valid for one-time use. This promotion is subject to modification, cancellation, or limitation at Marriott’s discretion, with or without notice.
A member can only register for this promotion once between September 1, 2018 and December 31, 2021.
How did you get that T&C?
I got this one from SPG Platinum Liaison:

SPG Platinum Challenge TC

Last edited by sch7458; Oct 5, 2018 at 2:47 am
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by sch7458

I got mine from the CSR that signed me up who had to both confirm these terms with her manager (specifically verifying the award nights clause) and get permission to email them to me directly.

I'm inclined to believe that either there are two+ versions of this challenge floating around or the ones you have might be from an older challenge? It's really pathetic of Marriott to make this so incredibly secretive. I'm going to have to spend real money to make reservations just to meet this that I wouldn't make otherwise and if I'm wasting my time I'm going to be livid.

Hopefully the fact that I have this in an email from Marriott basically saying "this is what you signed up for" is sufficient if they try to deny me after completing the requirements.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: HH-D / IHG-Sp / Marriott-P / LH-SEN / BA-S
I got mine from the CSR that signed me up who had to both confirm these terms with her manager (specifically verifying the award nights clause) and get permission to email them to me directly.

I'm inclined to believe that either there are two+ versions of this challenge floating around or the ones you have might be from an older challenge? It's really pathetic of Marriott to make this so incredibly secretive. I'm going to have to spend real money to make reservations just to meet this that I wouldn't make otherwise and if I'm wasting my time I'm going to be livid.

Hopefully the fact that I have this in an email from Marriott basically saying "this is what you signed up for" is sufficient if they try to deny me after completing the requirements.
Well maybe because I got it from SPG Platinum Liason and you got it from Marriott CSR - I still believe Marriott and SPG are yet two different worlds.
Do you eventually have the email address of the CSR? Can send me PM if you want. Thanks.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by sch7458

This implied the qualifying nights can go as far as end of March 2019. Am I reading this right?

Last edited by countingmiles; Oct 4, 2018 at 10:13 pm Reason: Wrong date
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by countingmiles
This implied the qualifying nights can go as far as end of March 2019. Am I reading this right?
I would have to agree.
countingmiles likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:28 am

Had a friend register today and he was given until January 31st 2019.

Perhaps the 90 days means "whatever is left of the current month, plus 3 months after" or something along those lines.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:47 am

I’m sure this has likely been addressed further up, however I was looking for confirmation as to if award nights will qualify as eligible for the purpose of the Plat challenge?

Edit. I see it has, and there is confusion as to if they qualify or not
Old Oct 5, 2018, 4:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by calculus1918
We are planning out our trips for the upcoming year. Currently, we have platinum premier status from the challenge we earned in April of this year (2018). Does any one know how long the status will last? From what I have read, most are saying Feb of 2020, I hope that's the case since we do the majority of our traveling in Asia during the summer. Thanks!!!
You need to read the T&C for the challenge you did. No one can guess what terms you might have been offered in the past, especially as I doubt that MR ever offered a untargeted challenge for their PP invitation only unpublished level.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:29 am

Only paid nights at a qualifying rate count.
Anyone experience booking at OTA (like hotels.com)? do these count?
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by countingmiles
Anyone experience booking at OTA (like hotels.com)? do these count?
These do not count and some rude hotels won't even allow you to attach your Marriott # to OTA reservations.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.