Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Platinum Challenge General Discussion Thread

Marriott Platinum Challenge General Discussion Thread

Old Apr 14, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I think that these types of programs are going to migrate significantly on the other side of this. I would not be surprised to see the whole nights model to go away and be replaced by some other metric like perhaps points earned annually.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 2:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium; AS 100k; BA Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by Middlemiddle
All the major US airlines have extended their eilte challege periods where they have offered them, HIlton has offered more flexible challeges and extended promo periods as well.

This is a great way to piss off people that are actively trying to move between loyalty programs. Back to hilton gold life (and likely better that bonvoy'd platinum, just a longer commute to the office when the world returns to normal!)
I gave another call to Marriott before my challenge expires on April 30th. I asked to submit a ticket and see if the challenge deadline could be extended. Their response is below.

I value your business as a Gold Elite member and I appreciate your attempt to fulfill the Platinum Elite Challenge. I am sorry to learn you cannot finish the Challenge because of the pandemic. While we are unable to extend the Challenge, we will remove it from your profile. It may take up to two weeks to update. When you are ready to travel again, please let us know so we can help you re-enroll.
qlaval likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by hyedmd
I gave another call to Marriott before my challenge expires on April 30th. I asked to submit a ticket and see if the challenge deadline could be extended. Their response is below.
Yeah, I e-mailed Bonvoy to remove the challenge from my account. I doubt I'll challenge again (or bother with Marriott loyalty for that matter) though.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by gengar
Yeah, I e-mailed Bonvoy to remove the challenge from my account. I doubt I'll challenge again (or bother with Marriott loyalty for that matter) though.
My experience was that Marriott cuts you no slack whatever. They have no concept that loyalty works both ways.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by gengar
To be honest, if you have a chance to get both personal and business Marriott cards, I think it's worth just spending 20 nights and getting Platinum status and have nights going towards your lifetime status. Sure, sometimes 16 vs. 20 nights makes a difference at some given period of time, but the difference is negligible once they let you combine the nights from both cards. So, it isn't 16 vs. 35 nights, as it used to be.

As much as it's frustrating that Marriott doesn't extend the deadline, it's not such a big deal. I'll be applying for a business card shortly.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:48 am

Hi all, asking in this thread because it relates to a status challenge. Looking for some reference points or advice. My lifetime status did not update on March 14 as it sounds like everyone elses did. When I emailed Marriott the agent told me that it updated in the fall of 2019 when I hit the Titanium level (which it did not), and that my status challenge year earned with SPG In 2015 does not count towards lifetime status. By my reckoning it has counted up until now (now being when lifetime status was updated in Feb 2019), since my lifetime status hasnt changed since then. I dont know how to get more clarity on this as the agent I am dealing with (by email) does not offer any new information, but just continues to regurgitate old info. Any constructive thoughts, comments or direction would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old May 2, 2020, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by NZLMAN
Hi all, asking in this thread because it relates to a status challenge. Looking for some reference points or advice. My lifetime status did not update on March 14 as it sounds like everyone elses did. When I emailed Marriott the agent told me that it updated in the fall of 2019 when I hit the Titanium level (which it did not), and that my status challenge year earned with SPG In 2015 does not count towards lifetime status. By my reckoning it has counted up until now (now being when lifetime status was updated in Feb 2019), since my lifetime status hasnt changed since then. I dont know how to get more clarity on this as the agent I am dealing with (by email) does not offer any new information, but just continues to regurgitate old info. Any constructive thoughts, comments or direction would be appreciated.
Thanks.

i would give a call to Marriott customer device and ask to submit a ticket to corporate. Doesnt guarantee much but I had better luck by talking to a live agent than sending them emails.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:35 pm

Hi all, looking for some advices here on enrolling in the platinum challenge:

Will be booking a week stay in a Design hotel in late August (prepaid room, booking directly with the Sales office from hotel).

1) would this stay be still eligible towards night count for the challenge?

2) can I enroll in the challenge days before check in or it has to be done before i book (as it is prepaid)?

Thanks a lot!
Old Aug 2, 2020, 3:00 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by kurisu
Hi all, looking for some advices here on enrolling in the platinum challenge:

Will be booking a week stay in a Design hotel in late August (prepaid room, booking directly with the Sales office from hotel).

1) would this stay be still eligible towards night count for the challenge?

2) can I enroll in the challenge days before check in or it has to be done before i book (as it is prepaid)?

Thanks a lot!
1) Confirm with the Design Hotel that they participate in Marriott Bonvoy and that your pre-paid rate is eligible. Assuming the answer to both is "yes" then supply them with your Bonvoy number now, confirm it when you check in, and confirm with them when you check out that they will post the stay. AFAIK, Design Hotels manually enter your stay on a portal after you've checked out. That is to say, the posting is not automatic by Marriott's reservation system because they don't use it. I've never had a problem with points and nights posting from Design Hotels that participate in Bonvoy but not all of them do and you're best to confirm this up front to, as they say, avoid disappointment.

2) The critical moment will come when the stay posts but you have at least three months to complete the challenge so I would ensure that you are unambiguously registered before you approach the check in day for your stay. It doesn't matter when you make the reservation. Indeed, being a Design Hotel that you've booked directly, Bonvoy will not know anything about your reservation until they post the stay manually after you've checked out. I regularly stay at a Design Hotel that I book directly by email and the reservation never appears in the Bonvoy app but the stay posts the day after I check out.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ftrichard
1) Confirm with the Design Hotel that they participate in Marriott Bonvoy and that your pre-paid rate is eligible. Assuming the answer to both is "yes" then supply them with your Bonvoy number now, confirm it when you check in, and confirm with them when you check out that they will post the stay. AFAIK, Design Hotels manually enter your stay on a portal after you've checked out. That is to say, the posting is not automatic by Marriott's reservation system because they don't use it. I've never had a problem with points and nights posting from Design Hotels that participate in Bonvoy but not all of them do and you're best to confirm this up front to, as they say, avoid disappointment.

2) The critical moment will come when the stay posts but you have at least three months to complete the challenge so I would ensure that you are unambiguously registered before you approach the check in day for your stay. It doesn't matter when you make the reservation. Indeed, being a Design Hotel that you've booked directly, Bonvoy will not know anything about your reservation until they post the stay manually after you've checked out. I regularly stay at a Design Hotel that I book directly by email and the reservation never appears in the Bonvoy app but the stay posts the day after I check out.
Which one?
Old Aug 2, 2020, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Which one?
Ovolo Southside.
Old Aug 2, 2020, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Ovolo Southside.
Oh...I'm only going back there if the price is right. I rather go with Marriott Ocean Park if the prices are similar.
ftrichard likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 6:32 am

Ovolo Southside.
Thanks for your advice! Im actually staying at Ovolo Southside. I booked with Ovolos sales team directly, hopefully the stay will count towards the challenge.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by kurisu
Thanks for your advice! Im actually staying at Ovolo Southside. I booked with Ovolos sales team directly, hopefully the stay will count towards the challenge.
Say "hi" to Quinton from Richard. The stay should post the day after you check out this hotel. Just make sure they've got your Bonvoy details. When it posts, no reason why it won't count to the challenge. Enjoy your happy hour drinks. They gave me a bottle of wine each evening in my room when I was isolated there in quarantine.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:28 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by cfabar1
I think that these types of programs are going to migrate significantly on the other side of this. I would not be surprised to see the whole nights model to go away and be replaced by some other metric like perhaps points earned annually.
Agree. The airlines used 9/11 to cut services and amenities and the public largely shrugged. Hotel owners may start to wonder why they are spending money for fluff when people are still occupying rooms.

A reckoning awaits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.