Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pre Existing Reservation changed to higher points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre Existing Reservation changed to higher points

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by myperks
Known issue if it was points advance.
Not booked as a points advance since I had plenty of points in my account at the time of booking!
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by christianj
Not booked as a points advance since I had plenty of points in my account at the time of booking!
So why were the points not deducted at the time of booking, as would be the case for any non-advance point booking?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 1:42 pm

All my bookings where deducted at the time of booking.I don't remember too clearly but I think a while back they allowed point advance even when you had enough points for the reservation but only recently changed it so you can't do.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just had MR deduct 340,000 points for a 5 night award reservation from my account that was a huge mistake since the reservation was made under the old points requirement for the hotel. Luckily I had my confirmation email that showed the points cost for the 5 night reservation was 180,000 under the old category instead of the 340,000 it is under the new hotel category. Hotel in question was the Domes of Elounda and when I called the Elite Line they tried to at first tell me that this was correct but then after putting me on hold she tried to charge me 60,000 per night (or 240,000) for the reservation until I told her that my paperwork confirmed the cost of 45,000 per night. Buyer beware and check the number of points they deduct for reservations made at the old points level.

CS offered no apology or anything! I don't understand how stuff like this can still be going on almost a year after the merger. CS could give a crap about it and she made it sound like I should be responsible for checking everything and that it is ok for them to just deduct whatever they feel like deducting.
Many, many reports of the same issue. Mine recent encounter here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-thread-6.html
Old Jun 7, 2019, 2:59 pm

but did they already take the original points out already? From your op, it wasn’t very apparent because if they did, your title would have been they charged you again for a reservation previously deducted already.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it is not point advance booking, then WHY the points were not deducted at the time of booking?

Your post gives 100% the scenario as the hotel deducted the points at X days before check in as the points have NOT been deducted at the time of booking.

Having a lot of pts in your account does NOT mean you have paid the points at the time of booking as in the past Marriott system ALLOWED you to make a booking WITHOUT paying the pts even though you have enough in your account. And THAT is a POINT ADVANCE Booking since you have not paid the pts at the timne of booking regardless your point balance.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

but did they already take the original points out already? From your op, it wasn’t very apparent because if they did, your title would have been they charged you again for a reservation previously deducted already.
This!

The poster has no idea what Point Advance Booking is about.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 9:38 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Happy
If it is not point advance booking, then WHY the points were not deducted at the time of booking?

Your post gives 100% the scenario as the hotel deducted the points at X days before check in as the points have NOT been deducted at the time of booking.

Having a lot of pts in your account does NOT mean you have paid the points at the time of booking as in the past Marriott system ALLOWED you to make a booking WITHOUT paying the pts even though you have enough in your account. And THAT is a POINT ADVANCE Booking since you have not paid the pts at the timne of booking regardless your point balance.
@Happy, I'm surprised that with your this much involvement with Marriott, you still have trouble with this.

I believe this what happened. This property was an old Cat 9 (45k points). The poster paid 180k total for 5 nights (5th free) at 45k x 4. Then it changed to new cat 8 (85k points) after 8/2018 for a total of 340,000. But prior to Cat 8 into effect, all were capped at 60k per night. So in some system, it shows as 240k points.

The original booking has undergone 3 changes (old to new cat 8/2018, yearly change 3/2019 and the cat 8 in effect). No wonder the rep was confused.

All travelers should have double checked all the certificates before they travel. The rep should manually adjust the award certificates to avoid such confusions....
Old Jun 8, 2019, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by RedSun
@Happy, I'm surprised that with your this much involvement with Marriott, you still have trouble with this.

I believe this what happened. This property was an old Cat 9 (45k points). The poster paid 180k total for 5 nights (5th free) at 45k x 4. Then it changed to new cat 8 (85k points) after 8/2018 for a total of 340,000. But prior to Cat 8 into effect, all were capped at 60k per night. So in some system, it shows as 240k points.

The original booking has undergone 3 changes (old to new cat 8/2018, yearly change 3/2019 and the cat 8 in effect). No wonder the rep was confused.

All travelers should have double checked all the certificates before they travel. The rep should manually adjust the award certificates to avoid such confusions....
you are making this too complicated.

either the OP was originally charged at time of reservation and was charged again or it was a points advance and was charged at the current rate (in which customer service should be able to add the difference).
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 1:51 pm
Suspended

you are making this too complicated.

either the OP was originally charged at time of reservation and was charged again or it was a points advance and was charged at the current rate (in which customer service should be able to add the difference).
You still do not understand this booking.

It was not a point advance since 45k/night was paid. Some of us even have the old Cat 9 partial travel package. Then it would have shown as a total 165,000 for 7 nights (less for 5 nights). Some may have been converted to the new travel package, but some are still old.

This was later changed to 60k after the 8/2018 Bonv*y change.

This was again shown as 85k after the new Cat 8 takes effect.

Just for comparison purpose, for a 7-night booking, it can be any of these below:

165,000, old Cat 9 7-night partial travel package
270,000 (45k x 6), old Cat 9 7-night standard redemption
360,000 (60k x 6), new Cat 7/8 7-night standard redemption (before Cat 8 rate is effective)
510,000 (85k x 6), new Cat 8 7-night standard redemption

Similar for 5-night booking. You figure out.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:05 pm

You still do not understand this booking.

It was not a point advance since 45k/night was paid. Some of us even have the old Cat 9 partial travel package. Then it would have shown as a total 165,000 for 7 nights (less for 5 nights). Some may have been converted to the new travel package, but some are still old.

This was later changed to 60k after the 8/2018 Bonv*y change.

This was again shown as 85k after the new Cat 8 takes effect.

Just for comparison purpose, for a 7-night booking, it can be any of these below:

165,000, old Cat 9 7-night partial travel package
270,000 (45k x 6), old Cat 9 7-night standard redemption
360,000 (60k x 6), new Cat 7/8 7-night standard redemption (before Cat 8 rate is effective)
510,000 (85k x 6), new Cat 8 7-night standard redemption

Similar for 5-night booking. You figure out.
it really doesn’t matter with all your calculations and using references to travel packages because it’s all the same.

The OP never stated that he was initially charged with the 45k/night. If the OP did, then I would never have brought up the topic of points advance.

if the OP already paid the 45k a night = 180k for 5 nights, then the original post would have said double charged. since it didn’t, then one would think it’s a point advance.

you can figure it out.

If the OP comes back with more information, we will know more.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:25 pm
Suspended

it really doesn’t matter with all your calculations and using references to travel packages because it’s all the same.

The OP never stated that he was initially charged with the 45k/night. If the OP did, then I would never have brought up the topic of points advance.

if the OP already paid the 45k a night = 180k for 5 nights, then the original post would have said double charged. since it didn’t, then one would think it’s a point advance.

you can figure it out.

If the OP comes back with more information, we will know more.

If you do not understand all this, why you keep responding?? Puzzling...

The poster already said it was not point advance. Read the other thread. You just have no idea what is going on. I have the same booking....

Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection - Crete, Greece [Master Thread]
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:35 pm

If you do not understand all this, why you keep responding?? Puzzling...

The poster already said it was not point advance. Read the other thread. You just have no idea what is going on. I have the same booking....

Domes of Elounda, Autograph Collection - Crete, Greece [Master Thread]
read
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31182524-post199.html

the poster already said why Marriott did not take points for this reservation which means (whether voluntary or involuntary) it was made as a points advance reservation.

so maybe read and understand first before calling out someone for not understanding
Old Jun 8, 2019, 2:45 pm
Suspended

read
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31182524-post199.html

the poster already said why Marriott did not take points for this reservation which means (whether voluntary or involuntary) it was made as a points advance reservation.

so maybe read and understand first before calling out someone for not understanding
Unbelievable.... Such waste of bandwidth...
Old Jun 8, 2019, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Sometimes Marriot does not deduct points at time of booking even though you have enough, but most of the time they do. Assuming points were deducted when they were not has caused me some confusion. When a category change bumps the points price up after you booked at the old points price, Marriot charges the new price but makes up the difference in points. You have to call back until you get a rep who will fix this for you.
RedSun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.