Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pre Existing Reservation changed to higher points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre Existing Reservation changed to higher points

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2018, 9:17 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Sorry, maybe I'm being dense here, but why is there all this talk about "ordering e-certs"? Once you book a reward stay the e-cert is automatically sent to the hotel. It's been this way on Marriott and Starwood for years, or at least as long as I've been booking reward stays.

Does this only apply to reservations made before Aug 18 for stays after Aug 18? I don't think so as I had two of those as well (booked before, stayed after) and I did nothing after I booked the room weeks in advance. I never manually ordered a cert.

Just curious what I may be missing here in case I run into an issue down the road.

Thanks,
RM
It does it automatically when you pay with points at booking. You can book Marriott properties in anticipation of buying/earning the points if you don’t have enough in your account. Doing so requires you to go in at least 14 days prior and deduct the points (technically you purchase an e-cert for the point/night value and it’s attached to your reservation).

Went through this myself with a pre August reservation. Called the plat line for another issue and almost completely forgot about the e-cert point changes until the rep asked if there was anything else she could help me with. No problem, she’s says she’s a manager and can fix that as well. A few minutes later, she had the additional points added, e-cert ordered and attached to the reservation. So nice to experience that after reading about others’ problems here.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards
Marriott Rewards gouging members

In April 2018, I made a reservation using 41,000 points for Towne Place Suites, Lincoln, Nebraska, for two nights in the middle of December. On November 27, 2018, I go online to order my e-Certificate for the subject reservation and find out Marriott is gouging me an additional 16,000 points per night...What the _ ? That’s 32,000 extra points over and above the 41,000 original total back in April 2018 when I made the reservation. Great way to treat you Platinum members. Can you please explain to all your Rewards members why we should continue to support Marriott when you treat us like this???
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
What did Marriott say when you inquired about the change in points?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by BLJOHNSON4301
In April 2018, I made a reservation using 41,000 points for Towne Place Suites, Lincoln, Nebraska, for two nights in the middle of December. On November 27, 2018, I go online to order my e-Certificate for the subject reservation and find out Marriott is gouging me an additional 16,000 points per night...What the _ ? That’s 32,000 extra points over and above the 41,000 original total back in April 2018 when I made the reservation. Great way to treat you Platinum members. Can you please explain to all your Rewards members why we should continue to support Marriott when you treat us like this???
Has the hotel category changed? If yes, it's a non-issue. They will honor the old rate.

Welcome to FT!

Last edited by hhoope01; Nov 27, 2018 at 10:33 am Reason: Removed recursive link from Thread Merge.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards
The agent spoke to her supervisor and came back saying Marriott's recent policy change required them to charge 16,000 upgrade points per night for a total of 32,000, plus the original 41,000 points. There was no change in the reservation.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
The agent spoke to her supervisor and came back saying Marriott's recent policy change required them to charge 16,000 upgrade points per night for a total of 32,000, plus the original 41,000 points. There was no change in the reservation.
Hang up and call again, they have always honored the booked rate when points rates adjusted before.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Hang up and call again, they have always honored the booked rate when points rates adjusted before.
Just to add on here, from my experience and others, the usual fix for this is for the rep to add difference in points to your account and then purchase the e-cert at the new rate.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did you originally reserve an upgraded room or not? Did they change the reservation to move you to an upgraded room for some reason, or no reason at all? I would guess that a TPS would normally have regular studio-type rooms (most of the rooms in the property would be this category) with 2Q or 1K bed, plus a very limited number of genuine one-bedroom and two-bedroom suites.

If you're booked into a regular room, it would seem that someone is making up stuff about the upgrade costing more points.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/Gold
Redemptions and category changes

I have a question about how category ratings affect redemption rates at hotels.

In early June 2018 I made a redemption reservation by phone at a Marriott using MR points transferred in from my linked SPG account. (5 nights at a 4-for-5 redemption, each night 30k points, for 120k total.) I just logged into marriott.com and notice that the rate is listed at 140k points -- I believe the category of the hotel went from 30k to 35k/night during the August devaluation.

I'm assuming this isn't related to the August merger reservations system pain ...and I'm surprised that I should be affected by a category change. As a longtime SPG guest, I'm used to the policy of "redeem at rate on date of reservation, regardless of category on date of stay". Is that not the policy with Marriott?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
The page you are looking at always reflects the current rate. Categories change over time, so what you see will change over time (typically annually).

None of that affects your reservation. You reserved when it was X points, you paid X points, and you have a reservation.

If you need to make changes to the reservation, then cancel/rebooking will be at the new rate.

Don't know why you're surprised by seeing this - SPG has always worked the exact same way. That's why the Lurkers gave us an advance notice of changes every year - so we could reserve at the pre-increase rates.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/Gold
Thanks. I had assumed the points were removed at the time I made the reservation since I was forced by agent to transfer from SPG to Marriott to make the reservation. However I see a note in the reservation that says:
---
Please order e-certificate(s) now to ensure your stay is covered.
If you have not ordered e-certificate(s) 7 days prior to your stay, e-certificate(s) will be auto-ordered for you
---
Does that mean the phone agent I spoke to transferred points from SPG to Marriott, made the reservation, but didn't actually use the points?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HerbFlyer
Thanks. I had assumed the points were removed at the time I made the reservation since I was forced by agent to transfer from SPG to Marriott to make the reservation. However I see a note in the reservation that says:
---
If you have not ordered e-certificate(s) 7 days prior to your stay, e-certificate(s) will be auto-ordered for you
---
Does that mean the phone agent I spoke to transferred points from SPG to Marriott, made the reservation, but didn't actually use the points?
The fact that Marriot sometimes automatically deducts the points when you make the reservation and sometimes does not has been confusing to me also, coming over from Starwood where the points are always automatically deducted almost instantly. The Marriot way makes it confusing to keep track of how many points you have left. You can look at your Marriot account under Activity and see whether the points for your stay were already deducted.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Tizzette

The fact that Marriot sometimes automatically deducts the points when you make the reservation and sometimes does not has been confusing to me also, coming over from Starwood where the points are always automatically deducted almost instantly. The Marriot way makes it confusing to keep track of how many points you have left. You can look at your Marriot account under Activity and see whether the points for your stay were already deducted.

This is a feature, not an bug. You can either deduct at the time of booking or make a point advance reservation, which is an incredibly useful feature SPG did not have. It's outlined very clearly when booking.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Except when you make an advance point reservation and then Marriott ignores that "feature" and charges you cash to "buy" the points - which has happened to me and many others.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HerbFlyer
---
---
Well, dont you know how much is your CORRECT account balance after the booking is made?

You should be able to tell whether the agent has used the points you transferred in to "pay" for the reservation at booking. I dont believe you have no idea whether this has happened or not, as you would know what happen to the points you transferred in, or failed to transfer in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.