Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pre Existing Reservation changed to higher points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre Existing Reservation changed to higher points

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
So others haven't had this experience?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Everyone has had different experiences w/agents on a variety of issues - they are mis- or ill-informed, and weak corporate leadership isn't helping things

HUACA (sadly) til you get a knowledgeable one
Old Oct 30, 2018, 5:36 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
So was this a reservation where the points were not deducted at the time of booking?
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Isochronous
From reading earlier posts on this forum, the solution that people appeared to be offered was to contact Marriott and they would just credit the extra points to your account so that pre-Aug 1 bookings were honoured at the previous rate.

I called tonight and was told that they wouldn't do this until a week before check-in because they needed to guard against people cancelling and keeping the 'extra' points. Rather annoying given that the T&Cs for most reward bookings allow cancellation until 24 hours beforehand so their 'protection' doesn't really address the problem they say they are concerned about. Not very impressed after spending half an hour on the line only to be told I will have to call again!
Not clear what your situation is. Which thread are you referring to?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...nd-2018-a.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...er-points.html

Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
From reading earlier posts on this forum, the solution that people appeared to be offered was to contact Marriott and they would just credit the extra points to your account so that pre-Aug 1 bookings were honoured at the previous rate.

I called tonight and was told that they wouldn't do this until a week before check-in because they needed to guard against people cancelling and keeping the 'extra' points. Rather annoying given that the T&Cs for most reward bookings allow cancellation until 24 hours beforehand so their 'protection' doesn't really address the problem they say they are concerned about. Not very impressed after spending half an hour on the line only to be told I will have to call again!
I find that an understandable concern and if you read some posts here on this forum ... it was at least contemplated ... I am sure it was also executed.
Sucks to call back, but is that such a big deal? They are honoring the old rates and you'll have to call back anyway; why not wait till a week prior to the stay?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by margarita girl

Not clear what your situation is. Which thread are you referring to?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...nd-2018-a.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...er-points.html

The 2nd issue - redemption rate went up post August 1.

I actually hadn't thought of people abusing this by cancelling after getting the top up until the call centre operator mentioned that as a reason - and it was also different from the practice I had seen discussed on FT, hence me asking. At least there's a file note with a reference number now.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
The 2nd issue - redemption rate went up post August 1.

I actually hadn't thought of people abusing this by cancelling after getting the top up until the call centre operator mentioned that as a reason - and it was also different from the practice I had seen discussed on FT, hence me asking. At least there's a file note with a reference number now.
Either you found a rogue agent, or they’ve changed the policy. I had the same situation at the Gritti Palace and had no issues getting the points posted to my account. Mind you, that was 2 weeks before my stay. Suggest you HUCA.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by pokee
I booked a 5 night award stay at the Renaissance New York Midtown hotel back in February, when the award redemption rate was 40K. It went up to 45K after the March increase, and then it went up to 50K after the merger in August.

The stay is in early December, so I am going to have to order the e-cert soon. I know I am going to have to call to order it, but am I going to have difficulty getting the 40K rate I booked in February? I recall seeing posts where people had issues getting the rate they booked at, but I am not sure if that was because of merger systems issues?
Just an update! I ordered my e-cert today and had a complete panic because the agent told me the Cat 9 - 45K rate has been in affect all year. I said, "Ummm, no - this hotel's category went up March 6th". She called the hotel, and the hotel confirmed that they haven't had a category change in over a year before the merge.

I did a simple google search of the March 6 category changes, and had to GIVE THE AGENT THE URL, so she could confirm this. Neither she, nor the hotel itself, had access or the ability to look up this information (despite both having PCs and access to the internet).

Luckily, I was able to get the e-cert attached at the pre-March 6 Cat 8 rate, after standing my ground, and providing documentation. They should have all this. I really wonder if they're trained to NOT give it to you unless you give them everything to prove it. (I cannot believe they are that incompetent!).

The agent had to add 40K to my account (which was the difference in points) in order to get the e-cert There didn't seem to be any concern about cancelling (at the higher rate) - my reservation still has 3 weeks to cancel for free. Perhaps they've developed a solution for that?
Old Nov 15, 2018, 12:26 am

Any Problems With SPG Point Reservations Being Honored ?

Before the merger on April 26,2018 I booked The Four Points Sheraton Orlando from 4/6/19 - 4/10/12019 using 15K SPG points for all 4 nights.

When I looked at my reservation tonight it shows I paid 45K points for all 4 nights and if I try to order the hotel cert it says I owe 55K Marriott points. I'm guessing the 45 K number comes from the 1/3 SPG - Marriott point exchange ratio but Marriott raised the rate at this hotel after the merger to 25K per night so the total cost if you booked today for 4 nights would be 100K Marriott points.

Will this reservation be honored for the 15K SPG points I used to book it before the merger or am going to have to pay 55K more Marriott points ? Thanks

Last edited by flyer4512; Nov 15, 2018 at 12:57 am
Old Nov 15, 2018, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
It will be honored - save your original email though
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Tizzette

If you mean you booked before August 18, yes the old rate applies. But if the points charged went up, you will have to call in to get the old rate honored and Marriot will make this happen by adding the difference in points to your account. It was an enormous time waste on hold to get this accomplished IME.
I had one of these where I made the SPG points reservation before August and on August 18th the higher number of points (SPG X 3 > new Starriott rate) were deducted. After trying to contact my Ambassador to have this fixed but failing, I just cancelled it and rebooked at the lower rate. I had been reluctant to take this step as the old reservation had SNAs applied (with the preAugust time stamp IIRC), but somehow Starriott randomly sent me an email in the middle of the night saying that the SNA request had been removed from the reservation "at my request' (while I was sleeping).
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by flyer4512

Before the merger on April 26,2018 I booked The Four Points Sheraton Orlando from 4/6/19 - 4/10/12019 using 15K SPG points for all 4 nights.

When I looked at my reservation tonight it shows I paid 45K points for all 4 nights and if I try to order the hotel cert it says I owe 55K Marriott points. I'm guessing the 45 K number comes from the 1/3 SPG - Marriott point exchange ratio but Marriott raised the rate at this hotel after the merger to 25K per night so the total cost if you booked today for 4 nights would be 100K Marriott points.

Will this reservation be honored for the 15K SPG points I used to book it before the merger or am going to have to pay 55K more Marriott points ? Thanks
Yes, they should honor the original rate of 45,000 MPG points. However, what I see with your screen shot you were attempting a change to your reservation which does trigger a repricing and is within the rules. I hope you canceled out of that process and it sounds like a (dreaded) call is in order.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Yes, they should honor the original rate of 45,000 MPG points. However, what I see with your screen shot you were attempting a change to your reservation which does trigger a repricing and is within the rules. I hope you canceled out of that process and it sounds like a (dreaded) call is in order.

Thanks, yes I cancelled out. What I did was click on order reward certs for this reservation and that's when it said I would owe 55K Marriott points. Thanks for your help
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by flyer4512
Thanks, yes I cancelled out. What I did was click on order reward certs for this reservation and that's when it said I would owe 55K Marriott points. Thanks for your help
Good. I don't recall having to specifically order reward certs for an award stay, I just book the stay and stay the stay and everything flowed as expected. But yes, I would expect the system to honor the booked rate but seems like even the action of getting a cert is considered a rez change and invokes repricing. Hopefully MR IT has this on their list if not already has someone working on it. Let us know how your discussion with MR goes.
flyer4512 likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Sorry, maybe I'm being dense here, but why is there all this talk about "ordering e-certs"? Once you book a reward stay the e-cert is automatically sent to the hotel. It's been this way on Marriott and Starwood for years, or at least as long as I've been booking reward stays.

Does this only apply to reservations made before Aug 18 for stays after Aug 18? I don't think so as I had two of those as well (booked before, stayed after) and I did nothing after I booked the room weeks in advance. I never manually ordered a cert.

Just curious what I may be missing here in case I run into an issue down the road.

Thanks,
RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.