Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pre Existing Reservation changed to higher points

Pre Existing Reservation changed to higher points

Reply

Old Sep 6, 18, 2:20 pm
  #16  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,981
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Then you should be good, it's just the web presentation logic issue that has existed for a long time, noted above.

Redeeming a certificate is automatic with making the reservation and deducting the points unless you go out of your way to avoid doing it.
Watch out, the system is glitchy and you get different answers from different reps when you call. For some reason a cert was not issued when the reservation was made many months ago but the points were deducted. Last night a rep was all set to issue the cert based on the 35,000 points previously redeemed and what they were going to do is put in more points to make up the difference to 50,000. Unfortunately the system would not work last night. I was advised to call back today and I got a rep with a different opinion that I should pay the 50,000. I have been on hold 90 minutes waiting for a supervisor. Fortunately I have a screen shot from yesterday showing 35,000 redeemed. Weirdly the same reservation now suddenly shows I also owe $525. And my reservation for Sheraton CDG dates shows up with a picture of Residence Inn Flagstaff.
Tizzette is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 18, 2:29 pm
  #17  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,981
Originally Posted by twoner32 View Post
I had booked (prior to 18AUG) a stay at JW Marriott in Phoenix for 260,000 points. I looked at my account now (stay is for October) and it's asking for 392,000 points. Anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks
That is what happened to me. They are displaying at the new points rate. What is supposed to happen is Marriot will internally add the additional points to make up the difference. I have spent hours now trying to get mine fixed. Do not make any changes at all to the reservation at all for fear it will be considered justification to charge you the higher rate.
Tizzette is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 18, 11:50 am
  #18  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Posts: 256
Booked award reservation before Cat changes but..

I have a couple of reservations that I booked before the Cat changes (went up for both my hotel bookings). However, I did not have enough points in my Marriott account (I did have enough in my SPG bud did not transfer them over). However, now my reservations are showing up with the new higher rates. Do I have any recourse to request reservations at old rate or am I SOL?

As mentioned I had points available in SPG account not Marriott account and still have them in my new combined account. Haven't requested certs yet.
manually is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 18, 12:39 pm
  #19  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,981
Originally Posted by manually View Post
I have a couple of reservations that I booked before the Cat changes (went up for both my hotel bookings). However, I did not have enough points in my Marriott account (I did have enough in my SPG bud did not transfer them over). However, now my reservations are showing up with the new higher rates. Do I have any recourse to request reservations at old rate or am I SOL?

As mentioned I had points available in SPG account not Marriott account and still have them in my new combined account. Haven't requested certs yet.
If you booked prior to Aug. 18th, you still get the lower rate. What Marriott is doing is internally putting enough points in your account to make up the difference. For example, if the new rate is 50,000 and you booked at 35,000, Marriot is adding 15,000 to your account. I would go ahead and get the certs now so you can deal with any problems resulting from the changes. They were unable to attach e certs to mine and are having to mail paper certs, which takes up to 10 days. I spent 2 hours on hold on 2 different days to get certs issued for reservations that had been paid for in points in 2017 but no cert issued at that time. What a mess.
Tizzette is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 18, 6:59 pm
  #20  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 65
Add’l Points deducted from account w reservation made in June

I have a somewhat similar problem. A few days ago I contacted reservations because a December reservation for Munich that I made in June was not allowing me to request sweet night awards. The reservation agent said that she put the request in the system and I received an email with my sweet night reward request. And my suite night balance reflected that change. Yesterday I noticed my account was down by 25,000 points. When I checked I saw that my Munich reservation which is been unchanged ( except to add the suite night award) showed -150,000 points and +175,000 points on the day I spoke to the reservation agent about the suite night awards. When I called Marriott and spent nearly an hour and 20 minutes I was told that the hotel had gone up in a grade and it cost more. I was aware of the change, but that shouldn’t affect my reservation which was made in June. A Marriott supervisor told me they are “trying” to get that done and get my points back. So far nothing.
PSPandBA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 18, 9:14 pm
  #21  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: MDW
Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Posts: 702
Called tonight to get two upcoming (next week) Points Advance reservations addressed. Booked at 40k per night pre-merge and now showing as 50k per night. Took the agent quite a while to figure this out and then was told the rewards system was down. She could not order the e-certs. However, she credited my account with the 10k per night additional points needed at the new redemption level for both reservations. The e-cert for the first should auto order on Friday and will report back if it orders at the new or old redemption rate or not at all.

Interesting thing was she was told by one supervisor that the system would automatically take care of everything and pull the e-cert at the prior (correct) rate. Another supervisor told her the opposite and to credit my account the difference. What was clear is that Marriott is honoring the original (old) redemption rates for Points Advance reservations. They are just a little unsure how that process is exactly going to happen at this point.
chuckworth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 18, 1:37 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: SPG Platinum
Posts: 1,082
I booked some redemptions for Christmas although points never deducted from my account (Marriott Park Lane, London). Suppose I should check with Marriott to ensure the pre-Aug rates apply?
Isochronous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 18, 7:44 pm
  #23  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,981
Originally Posted by Isochronous View Post
I booked some redemptions for Christmas although points never deducted from my account (Marriott Park Lane, London). Suppose I should check with Marriott to ensure the pre-Aug rates apply?
If you mean you booked before August 18, yes the old rate applies. But if the points charged went up, you will have to call in to get the old rate honored and Marriot will make this happen by adding the difference in points to your account. It was an enormous time waste on hold to get this accomplished IME.
Tizzette is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 18, 1:49 am
  #24  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: SPG Platinum
Posts: 1,082
Originally Posted by Tizzette View Post


If you mean you booked before August 18, yes the old rate applies. But if the points charged went up, you will have to call in to get the old rate honored and Marriot will make this happen by adding the difference in points to your account. It was an enormous time waste on hold to get this accomplished IME.
Thanks for the clarification.
Isochronous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 18, 2:44 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NJ
Programs: United Silver, Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Global Entry
Posts: 733
"You do not have enough points for this reservation" - on a reservation already made

So I made a reservation with 45,000 points a few months back for a November stay at the NY Marriott Marquis (1 Night,Category 9 Hotel).

When I went to check my reservation today it said at the top: You do not have enough points for this reservation. If you will not earn the points needed in time, you may purchase the additional points you need and order e-certificates.
If you have not ordered e-certificate(s) ten days prior to your reservation, customer support will contact you to discuss payment options.


It appears now the MM costs 50,000 pts. Can I assume even this message above is just a default message that the system puts because it doesnt realize the reservation is valid and made before points changed?...... or should I expect a problem prior to my confirmed reservation?

Hoping the former....
elg26 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 18, 2:49 pm
  #26  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 27,180
Originally Posted by elg26 View Post
So I made a reservation with 45,000 points a few months back for a November stay at the NY Marriott Marquis (1 Night,Category 9 Hotel).

When I went to check my reservation today it said at the top: You do not have enough points for this reservation. If you will not earn the points needed in time, you may purchase the additional points you need and order e-certificates.
If you have not ordered e-certificate(s) ten days prior to your reservation, customer support will contact you to discuss payment options.


It appears now the MM costs 50,000 pts. Can I assume even this message above is just a default message that the system puts because it doesnt realize the reservation is valid and made before points changed?...... or should I expect a problem prior to my confirmed reservation?

Hoping the former....
In the past when hotels went up in categories, Marriott CSRs would deposit the point discrepancy into your account so the hotel would not run into accounting issue. It has been a common practice each year when there were changes on the chart, or even during the year when stealthy category creeps happened.

Dont hope. take some action to get this rectify. You may want to call Marriott CS even though it is a pain these days, to get this sorted out and not wait till the stupid system converts your point stay to a pay stay 7 days before arrival because the system now considers you do not have enough pts for that.
Happy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 18, 3:20 pm
  #27  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 24,680
Were points actually deducted for the reservation? Call CS to confirm, but yes, both systems historically had problems displaying points/dealing with reservations when categories changed. They don't store the points requirement with the reservation, just the property name. And when you bring it up on-lin, it looks up the category/points via the name, so only have current information.

Poor system design, but it is what it is.

There have been reports of more significant issues if you didn't actually pay with points before the price went up.
CPRich is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 18, 2:50 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: YVR
Posts: 1,773
Is Marriott Honoring Pre-Merger Award Rates?

I booked a 5 night award stay at the Renaissance New York Midtown hotel back in February, when the award redemption rate was 40K. It went up to 45K after the March increase, and then it went up to 50K after the merger in August.

The stay is in early December, so I am going to have to order the e-cert soon. I know I am going to have to call to order it, but am I going to have difficulty getting the 40K rate I booked in February? I recall seeing posts where people had issues getting the rate they booked at, but I am not sure if that was because of merger systems issues?
pokee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 18, 11:30 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Programs: SPG Platinum
Posts: 1,082
Points increase on Aug. 1 - poor solution?

From reading earlier posts on this forum, the solution that people appeared to be offered was to contact Marriott and they would just credit the extra points to your account so that pre-Aug 1 bookings were honoured at the previous rate.

I called tonight and was told that they wouldn't do this until a week before check-in because they needed to guard against people cancelling and keeping the 'extra' points. Rather annoying given that the T&Cs for most reward bookings allow cancellation until 24 hours beforehand so their 'protection' doesn't really address the problem they say they are concerned about. Not very impressed after spending half an hour on the line only to be told I will have to call again!
Isochronous is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 18, 11:45 am
  #30  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 19,482
HUACA
UA-NYC is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread