Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Travel Package General Discussion Thread

Travel Package General Discussion Thread

    Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 9, 19, 8:31 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: margarita girl
Wiki Link
LINK TO CHART


Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2018)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

When converting your legacy certificate to a new certificate your prior certificate is cancelled and your new certificate will (in most cases) have an expiration date that is 12 months from the date of issuance (today).

The codes for the New Category partial packages are:
5-night packages
  • OC5=530T/P530 is now NC4 QP53
  • OC6=570T/P570 is now NC4 QP53
  • OC7=610T/P610 is now NC5 QP61 (refund value: 45K)
  • OC8=650T/P650 is now NC5 QP61
  • OC9=690T/P690 is now NC6 QP69
7-night packages
  • NC4 QP83 = OC5 830T/P830 (refund value: 45K)
  • NC4 QP87 = OC6 870T/P870 (refund value: 75K)
  • NC5 QP91 = OC7 910T/P910 (refund value: 105K)
  • NC5 QP95 = OC8 950T/P950 (refund value: 135K)
  • NC6 QP99 = OC9 990T/P990 (refund value: 165K)
  • NC6 QP99 = OC Tier 1-3 L830 (refund value: 195K)
  • NC7 QL87 = OC Tier 4-5 L870 (refund value: 315K)
Other 7-night packages
  • NC5 QP88 = OC7 P880 (refund value: 135K)
  • NC5 QP92 = OC8 P920 (refund value: 165K)
legend:
NCx = new certificate category
QPxx = post-merger converted partial package
OCx = old certificate category
QLxx = post-merger converted partial package (only QL known so far is QL87 for NC7)
xx0T = initial package;
Pxx0 = partial package;

************************************************** *******

MARRIOT UK: +44 20 7012 7312

For best practices on converting OC to NC, I’ve copied post # 1181 here. Thank you jameswes!


(Also, never use the word UPGRADE. You must say you want to CONVERT your certs.)

New data point for the new year.

I've read/followed the majority of this thread and now that I have a plan for how to use the travel certificates I made it happen

Last July, I purchased two OC1-5 travel packages. I have an upcoming trip that I wanted to use the certificates to book two rooms at an NC5 hotel.

1) Verified that I had an extra 120,000 MR points in my account (2x60,000 to upgrade from NC4 to NC5)
2) Call the UK Marriott # in the wiki (+44 20 7012 7312). In total, the call took about 25 minutes.
3) Explain that I have a booking I wanted to make, and I wanted to Cancel my two 830T certificates and convert them to two QP91 certificates. I did need to be clear with the rep that I was going to be using additional points from my account to upgrade the certificate.
Canceling two 830T (OC1-5) added 90,000 points (2x45000) to my account
Ordering two QP91 (NC5) subtracted 210,000 points (2x105K) from my account
4) The rep said that their "specialist" wasn't in the office, but she would leave detailed notes and have him do it the next day
5) True to form, the next day (today), I got an emails saying that my old certificates were canceled and new certificates were ordered.
Email clearly states that 830T certs were canceled
Second email clearly states that QP91 certs were ordered and 210K points were redeemed
Email (and account) state that the expiration is one year from today
As typical, App is up-to-date, website doesn't show the updated information yet.
IMPORTANT! Possible Points Advance Implications of March 5 category changes: There’s a (potential) issue with the category changes and Points Advance reservations. Marriott included the following information when they emailed some of us about the upcoming changes: “Points Advance — Members who wish to book a points advance redemption under the current Marriott Rewards and SPG award chart are encouraged to order redemption certificates before March 5 to lock in the rate. On March 5, redemption bookings are subject to the new unified program award chart.” We’ve reached out to Marriott to confirm the practical implications of this verbiage, as it sounds like Points Advance reservations will revert to the new pricing if they don’t have certificates attached prior to March 5. To be on the safe side, if your hotel is increasing in category be sure your TP certificate is attached to the reservation before March 5.
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Feb 5, 19, 10:49 am
  #1306  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,872
Originally Posted by betterbest View Post
Sorry if this was asked before but I tried to see past posts and didn't see it. I know it is possible to use extra points to upgrade when you convert OC5 to NCx. Today I made a rookie mistake and used the word "upgrade" and the agent told me that I needed 120k go upgrade from OC5 to NC5. I didn't take the offer but accept the free OC5 to NC4, which was probably a mistake.
My question is: is it possible to use 60k points to convert/upgrade my NC4 to NC5? Is this opportunity only available when you convert OC to NC? I tried a few different agents to get NC4 to NC5 but with no luck.
Unfortunately the difficulty to be able to upgrade with points is increased exponentially once the OC is converted to NC - not only the chart used would be the new chart, therefore much more expensive, but the T&Cs of the NC explicitly prohibit all the flexibility associated with the old chart.

Try the UK number (in the wiki) if you haven't, and see if you have better luck with the UK office which has been much friendlier to deal with and more knowledgeable/efficient per the DPs reported here from Day One of this mess.
Happy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 19, 2:37 pm
  #1307  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: San Jose, Ca HH Diamond, UA 1K
Posts: 477
For the expiration date on certificate, do you have to complete the travel by that date, or just attach the certificate to a reservation by the expiration date?
RoadWeary is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 19, 2:42 pm
  #1308  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 1,870
Just a data point. Today I cancelled a booking with NC-6 TP from Marriott's website. I totally forgot that this reservation has TP attached. After cancellation, it says 165,000 points will be credited to my account. I got scared since I do not want the points, but the TP de-attached. But when I check my account, I see the NC TP was returned to my account. It says "Partial Package -7 nights Cat 6". And it has value of 165,000 behind it.

I figure if the TP has been converted to NC, then it is safe to cancellation from website. But it won't work if the OC TP was attached.
RedSun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 19, 2:54 pm
  #1309  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2
@Happy
Thank you for your reply! That was my first post at FT and I really appreciate your very thoughtful comments!
I will try to contact the UK agents and report my luck
betterbest is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 19, 2:59 pm
  #1310  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,872
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
Just a data point. Today I cancelled a booking with NC-6 TP from Marriott's website. I totally forgot that this reservation has TP attached. After cancellation, it says 165,000 points will be credited to my account. I got scared since I do not want the points, but the TP de-attached. But when I check my account, I see the NC TP was returned to my account. It says "Partial Package -7 nights Cat 6". And it has value of 165,000 behind it.

I figure if the TP has been converted to NC, then it is safe to cancellation from website. But it won't work if the OC TP was attached.
Thanks a lot for the fresh DP. Did the NC show a new expiration date? i.e. 12 months from today? This would be a big thing for all of us who want to use our certs much pass the Jul/Aug 2019.

Originally Posted by betterbest View Post
@Happy
Thank you for your reply! That was my first post at FT and I really appreciate your very thoughtful comments!
I will try to contact the UK agents and report my luck
You are very welcome!

Please do report back. It is due to the collective reporting of fresh DPs we the community can get a sense on what is going on. Marriott, as we all know, does not care for us. We basically are left to fend for ourselves by trial and errors. Therefore, ALL DPs are much welcome!
Counsellor likes this.
Happy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 19, 3:28 pm
  #1311  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 1,870
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Thanks a lot for the fresh DP. Did the NC show a new expiration date? i.e. 12 months from today? This would be a big thing for all of us who want to use our certs much pass the Jul/Aug 2019.
No, it shows the original date when the OC was converted to NC. Nov-2019. It has the correct NC6 code.
RedSun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 19, 3:34 pm
  #1312  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,872
Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
No, it shows the original date when the OC was converted to NC. Nov-2019. It has the correct NC6 code.
This is not what we hope for. So the NC behaves just like what the T&Cs said, no extension.

Therefore the only chance to extend the existing cert is the time when the OC is converted to NC.

A few posts back it is reported a CS rep advised the poster to wait till as close to the expiration to convert it so the poster would get a full year of extension. Now your DP reinforces that.
Happy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 19, 3:44 pm
  #1313  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 1,870
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
This is not what we hope for. So the NC behaves just like what the T&Cs said, no extension.

Therefore the only chance to extend the existing cert is the time when the OC is converted to NC.

A few posts back it is reported a CS rep advised the poster to wait till as close to the expiration to convert it so the poster would get a full year of extension. Now your DP reinforces that.
True only if you want to hang onto the OC. I had planned to use this TP for an early summer 2019 travel. But the airfare did not work out. So I probably use this TP for next winter. Hope Marriott would be kind to extend it for two month or so. Worst case is to get 165,000 points back. I got over-sized value from this TP. So no complaint.
RedSun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 19, 10:03 pm
  #1314  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: bay area, ca
Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Posts: 3,106
Originally Posted by Happy View Post
Unfortunately the difficulty to be able to upgrade with points is increased exponentially once the OC is converted to NC - not only the chart used would be the new chart, therefore much more expensive, but the T&Cs of the NC explicitly prohibit all the flexibility associated with the old chart.

Try the UK number (in the wiki) if you haven't, and see if you have better luck with the UK office which has been much friendlier to deal with and more knowledgeable/efficient per the DPs reported here from Day One of this mess.
Is there a best time to call the UK office? (do calls get shunted to other countries some times?)
estnet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 19, 10:01 am
  #1315  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Red, HH Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Basic, Alitalia Status Match
Posts: 769
Originally Posted by estnet View Post
Is there a best time to call the UK office? (do calls get shunted to other countries some times?)
In my experience it's best to call during European morning. I've never been shunted then, but have been later in the day
ankomonkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 19, 1:35 pm
  #1316  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 14
I read this entire thread start to finish over the past couple of weeks but I still couldn't believe the drama I had today detaching a certificate, converting it and reattaching it to a new reservation. Over 2.5 hours. The first representative from Mexico City didn't know what she was doing and was awful, she deleted the entire reservation and certificate and hung up when she couldn't figure out what to do next. Thankfully when I called back I got someone in Nebraska who was really helpful and able to track down what the other rep did and fix it. I couldn't get it converted to a Cat 5 but attached it to a Cat 4 hotel for now (since I was on the phone so long anyway) and will try that part again another day.

If I hadn't read this thread I would have been sunk so thank you for all your posts. The key is really detaching it before cancelling the reservation if you already have it attached. The rep didn't listen to me and deleted the reservation/certificate and because it was so old it didn't redeposit into the account automatically. Done now but crazy amount of work!
rny321 likes this.
mykidissmarterthanyou is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 19, 3:13 pm
  #1317  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: bay area, ca
Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Posts: 3,106
Originally Posted by ankomonkey View Post
In my experience it's best to call during European morning. I've never been shunted then, but have been later in the day
Thanks so much - as it's not a free call I'd like to maximize my chances of getting someone who is more likely to do what I want
estnet is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 19, 3:21 pm
  #1318  
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NY
Programs: Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hotels.com Gold
Posts: 245
Originally Posted by margarita girl View Post
I have no experience with using certs beyond their expiry date other than what I have read here. Pre-merger, people said that you could extend your cert for one year and then use it for a reservation up to 11 months beyond the cert's expiry date, essentially making the cert valid for almost 3 years. I have no idea how the agents went about doing this.
I'm holding off as long until I see the CAT changes that is predicted to happen end of the month.. once announced and if I see the properties I want to stay increasing CAT, i'll call to request to extend my certs.. if not, I'll not do anything until later this Sept to call for an extension. Either way, if I have updates, I'll report back..
Happy and margarita girl like this.
bluestrudels is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 19, 9:44 am
  #1319  
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 318
Without going into the long story I'm wondering if someone can confirm something for me... Is there a way to tell if you have a "standard" award applied to a 7 night res or a TP? Marriott cleaned up a mistake on my account last week and I think that instead of converting my TP to the correct category they just cancelled it and deposited the difference in points and applied a standard award (6 + 1 free) instead... in the activity section of my account it states "Standard Redemption Rate 02/01/2019, Ordered -360,000 Rewards". For obvious reasons just trying to confirm. thx
davidsc111 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 19, 11:12 am
  #1320  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: YYZ
Programs: AA LT Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat Premier, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 1,103
Originally Posted by davidsc111 View Post
Without going into the long story I'm wondering if someone can confirm something for me... Is there a way to tell if you have a "standard" award applied to a 7 night res or a TP? Marriott cleaned up a mistake on my account last week and I think that instead of converting my TP to the correct category they just cancelled it and deposited the difference in points and applied a standard award (6 + 1 free) instead... in the activity section of my account it states "Standard Redemption Rate 02/01/2019, Ordered -360,000 Rewards". For obvious reasons just trying to confirm. thx
For a TP cert attached, when looking at the reservation, the sum of the individual night points will *not* add up to the total. For example, for a NC5 7-day cert:

Code:
1 room(s) for 7 nights
Monday, April 22, 2019
Free Night
Tuesday, April 23, 2019
35,000 points
Wednesday, April 24, 2019
35,000 points
Thursday, April 25, 2019
35,000 points
Friday, April 26, 2019
35,000 points
Saturday, April 27, 2019
35,000 points
Sunday, April 28, 2019
35,000 points
Total points rate 105,000
Obviously 35K x 6 does not add up to 105K.

105K is actually the refund value of the NC5 7-day cert.
Happy and margarita girl like this.

Last edited by nabeelj; Feb 7, 19 at 11:34 am
nabeelj is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread