Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Travel Package General Discussion Thread

Travel Package General Discussion Thread

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 2, 19, 10:14 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Counsellor
Wiki Link
LINK TO CHART


Legacy to New Travel Package Conversion (effective August 2018)
A Marriott supervisor can currently convert your legacy travel package into the new category mapping. If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.

When converting your legacy certificate to a new certificate your prior certificate is cancelled and your new certificate will (in most cases) have an expiration date that is 12 months from the date of issuance (today).

The codes for the New Category partial packages are:
5-night packages
  • OC5=530T/P530 is now NC4 QP53
  • OC6=570T/P570 is now NC4 QP53
  • OC7=610T/P610 is now NC5 QP61 (refund value: 45K)
  • OC8=650T/P650 is now NC5 QP?? (Refund value: 75k)
  • OC9=690T/P690 is now NC6 QP69
7-night packages
  • NC4 QP83 = OC5 830T/P830 (refund value: 45K)
  • NC4 QP87 = OC6 870T/P870 (refund value: 75K)
  • NC5 QP91 = OC7 910T/P910 (refund value: 105K)
  • NC5 QP95 = OC8 950T/P950 (refund value: 135K)
  • NC6 QP99 = OC9 990T/P990 (refund value: 165K)
  • NC6 QP99 = OC Tier 1-3 L830 (refund value: 195K)
  • NC7 QL87 = OC Tier 4-5 L870 (refund value: 315K)
Other 7-night packages
  • NC5 QP88 = OC7 P880 (refund value: 135K)
  • NC5 QP92 = OC8 P920 (refund value: 165K)
legend:
NCx = new certificate category
QPxx = post-merger converted partial package
OCx = old certificate category
QLxx = post-merger converted partial package (only QL known so far is QL87 for NC7)
xx0T = initial package;
Pxx0 = partial package;

************************************************** *******

MARRIOT UK: +44 20 7012 7312

For best practices on converting OC to NC, I’ve copied post # 1181 here. Thank you jameswes!


(Also, never use the word UPGRADE. You must say you want to CONVERT your certs.)

New data point for the new year.

I've read/followed the majority of this thread and now that I have a plan for how to use the travel certificates I made it happen

Last July, I purchased two OC1-5 travel packages. I have an upcoming trip that I wanted to use the certificates to book two rooms at an NC5 hotel.

1) Verified that I had an extra 120,000 MR points in my account (2x60,000 to upgrade from NC4 to NC5)
2) Call the UK Marriott # in the wiki (+44 20 7012 7312). In total, the call took about 25 minutes.
3) Explain that I have a booking I wanted to make, and I wanted to Cancel my two 830T certificates and convert them to two QP91 certificates. I did need to be clear with the rep that I was going to be using additional points from my account to upgrade the certificate.
Canceling two 830T (OC1-5) added 90,000 points (2x45000) to my account
Ordering two QP91 (NC5) subtracted 210,000 points (2x105K) from my account
4) The rep said that their "specialist" wasn't in the office, but she would leave detailed notes and have him do it the next day
5) True to form, the next day (today), I got an emails saying that my old certificates were canceled and new certificates were ordered.
Email clearly states that 830T certs were canceled
Second email clearly states that QP91 certs were ordered and 210K points were redeemed
Email (and account) state that the expiration is one year from today
As typical, App is up-to-date, website doesn't show the updated information yet.
IMPORTANT! Possible Points Advance Implications of March 5 category changes: There’s a (potential) issue with the category changes and Points Advance reservations. Marriott included the following information when they emailed some of us about the upcoming changes: “Points Advance — Members who wish to book a points advance redemption under the current Marriott Rewards and SPG award chart are encouraged to order redemption certificates before March 5 to lock in the rate. On March 5, redemption bookings are subject to the new unified program award chart.” We’ve reached out to Marriott to confirm the practical implications of this verbiage, as it sounds like Points Advance reservations will revert to the new pricing if they don’t have certificates attached prior to March 5. To be on the safe side, if your hotel is increasing in category be sure your TP certificate is attached to the reservation before March 5.

Concerning use of TP for peak or off-peak, see post 2179:

Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker View Post
The new award redemption chart will not impact Travel Packages. After these changes go into effect, you'll be able to book a hotel within the category assigned to your Travel Package, regardless of whether the dates at the hotel are in off-peak, standard or peak rates.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 5, 19, 12:21 pm
  #1876  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl., Accor-Plat., Former FPC-Plat.
Posts: 688
Originally Posted by soy View Post
Just a sanity check. Called UK and attached a NC5 to an existing 7 night Cat5 reservation.
Agent was nice but clueless so had to go talk to supervisor on how to do it.

End result, the res now says e-certs attached.
However on the website, the Total for Stay on Reservation has changed from 210k pts to 105k pts. Agent seemed to think I owed another 105k and suggested putting a second TP towards it (eek!).

This rattled me a little but I told her not to touch it, since there was nothing else due. Am I right in thinking that this is just Marriotts screwed up IT and how it displays the reservation info?
I am not expecting to pay any more points for this stay, but have zero trust in Marriotts ability to do things properly so figured I would doublecheck here.


TIA
If attached, the total for stay should equal the liquidation value of your certificate, which in your case is 105K. So, you're fine.
lexdevil and soy like this.
rny321 is offline  
Old Jul 6, 19, 9:01 am
  #1877  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 299
Originally Posted by LDoc View Post
My new points total has not yet changed online and it has been 4 hours, but I suspect it will be revised within a business day or two.
You need to log out of your account and then log back in using a different browser. My point balance were updated instantly after my certificate was extended.
frenchie2 is offline  
Old Jul 6, 19, 10:52 am
  #1878  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 37
Points total updated when I checked this morning.
LDoc is offline  
Old Jul 6, 19, 11:01 am
  #1879  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: A Capital City on The East Coast
Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Posts: 6,865
Think Marriott is getting ready to seriously Bonvoy me
Lifetime plat,

I'm getting ready to go back and start reading post from beginning but time is short,
So really hoping someone can offer some guidance/advice, please

Was issued a 7 night cat-8(950T) as part of a travel package on 7/31/2018
Called to use the travel package at Sheraton Okinawa(currently a Cat7) resort on 2/10/2019
Received confirmation email for dates of 7/16-7/23

Got email 7/4 that not enough points available for my stay
They are trying to take points from account for stay
Says cert is only worth 105,000 points

Called trying to straighten it out as soon as I saw email but seems no real help, supposedly talked to supervisor
she was going to email hotel and plead case, they emailed me back with basically a polite F-you

said I had two nights with current cert and they are willing to let me have a room for the other night at rack rate

Know I further see they took 100k points from account yesterday-no idea why????

Anyone with some idea on how to proceed?

Last edited by windwalker; Jul 6, 19 at 2:22 pm
windwalker is offline  
Old Jul 6, 19, 11:09 am
  #1880  
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 37
Your OC8 is a NC5 and I think those resorts are cat 6 and above. I think you need to do what I did above and convert and upgrade the certificate.
LDoc is offline  
Old Jul 6, 19, 11:18 am
  #1881  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,341
Originally Posted by windwalker View Post
Think Marriott is getting ready to seriously Bonvoy me
Lifetime plat,

I'm getting ready to go back and start reading post from beginning but time is short,
So really hoping someone can offer some guidance/advice, please

Was issued a 7 night cat-8(950T) as part of a travel package on 7/31/2018
Called to use the travel package at Sheraton Okinawa(currently a Cat7) resort on 2/10/2019
Received confirmation email for dates of 7/16-7/23

Got email 7/4 that not enough points available for my stay
They are trying to take points from account for stay
Says cert is only worth 105,000 points

Called trying to straighten it out as soon as I saw email but seems no real help, supposedly talked to supervisor
she was going to email hotel and plead case, they emailed me back with basically a polite F-you

said I had two nights with current cert and they are willing to let me have a room for the other night at rack rate

Know I further see they took 100k points from account yesterday

Anyone with some idea on how to proceed?
The refund value of 950T is 135K, even the hotel does not understand the mechanism, it should see 135K not 105K, which sounds to me when you attached the cert - the Marriott agent goofed up and converted it to a NC5, while refunded you 30K?
Otherwise I dont see how the hotel sees it as 105K instead of 135K.

Please go back to the history of attaching the cert to the property and see if the cert matched the property category at the time of attachment. If it is, and the property has since gone up in category, Marriott can add the differential points to make the cert work - it has reported in this thread may be 3 or 4 months ago.

However if at the time of attachment, the NC cert is of lower category of the property's category at the time of booking but the rep attached it anyway, then you most likely out of luck.

This reminds me that last year some people were able to attach their LOWER VALUE certs to HIGHER VALUE properties, arguing that they were planning to use a Category 5 on the old chart, and now only get a cert for Category 4 - some reps attached the NC4 to a NC5 property as a result - those thought they had a windfall... Now based on what happens to you, I suspect those who were successful to attach an NC4 to an NC5 property may encounter this when their stays come near...
Happy is offline  
Old Jul 7, 19, 5:28 am
  #1882  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 647
Has anyone extended by converting to same category, and then converted to a higher category at a later date? Or do you only get one shot?

I'm torn between converting my expiring cert to a NC6 and an NC5.
tylerc is offline  
Old Jul 7, 19, 7:16 pm
  #1883  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: A Capital City on The East Coast
Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Posts: 6,865
Update from above post
not sure what happened, called CS line and now the cert is wholely attached. I hope/pray they gave me the correct information. I have a cert # this time

I'm still out 100K points but didn't want to mess anything up, so will deal with upon my return on the 23rd
windwalker is offline  
Old Jul 7, 19, 7:42 pm
  #1884  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,341
Originally Posted by windwalker View Post
Update from above post
not sure what happened, called CS line and now the cert is wholely attached. I hope/pray they gave me the correct information. I have a cert # this time

I'm still out 100K points but didn't want to mess anything up, so will deal with upon my return on the 23rd
When you pull up the reservation, does it say "this reservation has e-Cert" ?

Also what is the Final Total of points shown on the reservation, ignore what each day's value, just the last final number, which should NOT add up but that is one of the signs of your cert is truly attached, correctly.
Happy is offline  
Old Jul 7, 19, 10:48 pm
  #1885  
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: A Capital City on The East Coast
Programs: CO-Dirt,SPG-Nothing,Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Blue, Hyatt-Plat, HI-Plat
Posts: 6,865
yes it says e-cert attached
total points 250K
windwalker is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 4:10 am
  #1886  
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by windwalker View Post
yes it says e-cert attached
total points 250K
What's the breakdown of points per night?

The Sheraton Okinawa is a cat 6 property currently which is 50k points per night.
250k looks like the cost of 6 nights. 5*50 with one night free.

I'm not sure what the property was back in October last year.

You would have had to convert the cert back in October to a new one and get it attached, assuming it was a high enough category at the time.
You OC8 would have not been sufficient to attach to a new cat 6, assuming that the Sheraton Okinawa was cat 6 at the time. If it was a cat 5 then you should have got it attached and also received a 30k points refund.

If you can prove that the cert should have been attached then and it was Marriott's error then they should refund you the extra points it has cost you.
Good luck, it might be a tough battle sadly.
Happy likes this.
potm is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 6:01 am
  #1887  
kkl
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 834
Has anyone managed to upgrade to a cat8 cert? If so at what cost? And what’s the code ?
kkl is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 2:19 pm
  #1888  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 28,341
Originally Posted by windwalker View Post
yes it says e-cert attached
total points 250K
Originally Posted by potm View Post
What's the breakdown of points per night?

The Sheraton Okinawa is a cat 6 property currently which is 50k points per night.
250k looks like the cost of 6 nights. 5*50 with one night free.

I'm not sure what the property was back in October last year.

You would have had to convert the cert back in October to a new one and get it attached, assuming it was a high enough category at the time.

You OC8 would have not been sufficient to attach to a new cat 6, assuming that the Sheraton Okinawa was cat 6 at the time. If it was a cat 5 then you should have got it attached and also received a 30k points refund.

If you can prove that the cert should have been attached then and it was Marriott's error then they should refund you the extra points it has cost you.
Good luck, it might be a tough battle sadly.
Good detective work. Agree it depends on what category of the hotel was before March change. I just deleted the old charts pdf a week ago. Else I could find it! Though the key is, the reservation has to be made before the change, and at the category the existing cert can cover.

Found this blog piece listing properties that go up on Mar 5th, Sheraton Okinawa is not even on the list?!

https://thegate.boardingarea.com/tak...-march-5-2019/

Last edited by Happy; Jul 8, 19 at 2:25 pm
Happy is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 3:37 pm
  #1889  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 291
A small warning, if you are going to convert certificate make dummy reservations to hold your points. I had the same thing happen that many of the people such as Margaritagirl had happen almost a year ago. I had read about it previously, but had converted certs for other accounts, so I got complacent on my own.

I called today to change an OC6 to a N4 with 30K back. Agent seemed to know exactly what to do, and after 5 minutes on hold, told me it was done. She stated that my points refund for the 30k would show in my account in about 12 hours. I thought, that I had won phone roulette. What actually happened, the loyalty liaison "bought" a new 1-4 with 45k of my points without canceling the first certificate. Of course no refund of 30K either. My account shows both certificates (new and unchanged 6) and is missing 45k, but there is nothing showing under activity to prove the withdrawal. I only received the purchase email and not a cancellation one. I did take screenshots of my balance since Firefox was showing the higher balance versus the app. Now it has updated to show the lower balance also. I would be whole, if they cancel the cert and give me the 75K back, but have a feeling that will be time consuming to explain to the supervisor if I can even get a hold of one tomorrow. So save yourself some grief and make dummy reservations, so that you don't have the points for them to take and they are forced to cancel the old cert before the new cert purchase.
jrm68 is offline  
Old Jul 8, 19, 3:47 pm
  #1890  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SFO
Posts: 2,948
Originally Posted by jrm68 View Post
A small warning, if you are going to convert certificate make dummy reservations to hold your points. I had the same thing happen that many of the people such as Margaritagirl had happen almost a year ago. I had read about it previously, but had converted certs for other accounts, so I got complacent on my own.

I called today to change an OC6 to a N4 with 30K back. Agent seemed to know exactly what to do, and after 5 minutes on hold, told me it was done. She stated that my points refund for the 30k would show in my account in about 12 hours. I thought, that I had won phone roulette. What actually happened, the loyalty liaison "bought" a new 1-4 with 45k of my points without canceling the first certificate. Of course no refund of 30K either. My account shows both certificates (new and unchanged 6) and is missing 45k, but there is nothing showing under activity to prove the withdrawal. I only received the purchase email and not a cancellation one. I did take screenshots of my balance since Firefox was showing the higher balance versus the app. Now it has updated to show the lower balance also. I would be whole, if they cancel the cert and give me the 75K back, but have a feeling that will be time consuming to explain to the supervisor if I can even get a hold of one tomorrow. So save yourself some grief and make dummy reservations, so that you don't have the points for them to take and they are forced to cancel the old cert before the new cert purchase.
maybe it’s only me but I would love to buy and buy and buy 7N NC4 certs for 45k... sign me up
myperks is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: