Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Lurker(s) - How to Contact (Combined Threads)

Marriott Bonvoy Lurker(s) - How to Contact (Combined Threads)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 5, 22, 8:46 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: margarita girl
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 4, 18, 4:27 pm
  #16  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: spg plat100 - lifetime gold / aa exec plat
Posts: 423
Originally Posted by DFWsakp View Post
The other issue is also probably that many Account holders don't realize that their SPG Point Balance was already multiplied by 3 times before they combined their Marriott and SPG Accounts (i.e. on 18th Aug itself).
They somehow feel that once they combine the accounts, the Marriott Point Balance needs to be 1X (Marriott) + 3X (SPG). But, since the system already had multiplied your SPG balance by 3X, the net result after combining is 1X (Marriott) + 1X (SPG) which many of them refuse to believe and it takes forever for Customer Service to explain them.
Folks your SPG Points may say SPG, but they are already multiplied by 3
ive never seen anyone make this sort of mistake, and i would argue that any SPGer who is involved in the program enough to call in to complain about points being wrong would already know roughly how many points they had in their account and wouldnt not realize they were already multiplied by 3....
stant is offline  
Old Sep 4, 18, 9:03 pm
  #17  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 29,599
Originally Posted by stant View Post
ive never seen anyone make this sort of mistake,
It's already been posted in a thread here. Look for "1:1" and "3:1"

You can't fix (will in your own blank).
CPRich is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 11:06 am
  #18  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,329
Originally Posted by DFWsakp View Post
The other issue is also probably that many Account holders don't realize that their SPG Point Balance was already multiplied by 3 times before they combined their Marriott and SPG Accounts (i.e. on 18th Aug itself).
They somehow feel that once they combine the accounts, the Marriott Point Balance needs to be 1X (Marriott) + 3X (SPG). But, since the system already had multiplied your SPG balance by 3X, the net result after combining is 1X (Marriott) + 1X (SPG) which many of them refuse to believe and it takes forever for Customer Service to explain them.
Folks your SPG Points may say SPG, but they are already multiplied by 3
Yes, this and those that think their efforts to link their months ago excluded the need to combine their accounts. Granted Marriott has not been the greatest on communicating the issues of the merger, but these activities have been communicated. So the conclusion I have come to is that these members have failed to keep themselves up to date with what has been put out and now are panicking that they are being cheated (the victim syndrome) and want special attention. I have no idea what constraints were placed upon the IT team, but I do know working with live data that is constantly changing is fraught with issues.
RogerD408 is offline  
Old Sep 5, 18, 12:55 pm
  #19  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Pittsburgh
Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Posts: 29,599
I wouldn't put the blame on the vast majority of the programs' members who are not FT-level involved and sophisticated in the workings of the program. SPG has 21M members (last I checked) and those posting here represent about 0.01% of those.

MrsCP is more knowledgeable than most through osmosis, but I doubt the merge/link/combine machinations would be crystal clear to her without my involvement.

Communications could have been much clearer on what the steps of the process have been and will be, when the points transfer happened, etc.

At the same time, I've been in enough mergers with world-class communications efforts where some in the target audience are just thick as bricks. You can point to the 27 unread "IMPORTANT: ACTIVITY REQUIRED" emails in their Inbox, the three posted on the wall, and business superuser in the cubicle next to them and they'll complain you should have done a better job.
CPRich is offline  
Old Sep 20, 18, 8:49 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Germany / Thailand
Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Posts: 3,082
Dear William, could you kindly confirm again, that for this year we also can make Platinum status with 25 stays ! I don't find it, and @ Marriott hotline nobody is able to help, them all say only 50 night reqalify. But i remember @ the beginning of the year it was confirmed somewhere, that ( only stays in SPG propertys count until end of end 2018 ) to requalify for PLATINUM.

thanks
Bert


Last edited by yosithezet; Sep 26, 18 at 8:05 pm Reason: Fixed quote error
bertheike is offline  
Old Sep 20, 18, 9:47 am
  #21  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Posts: 31,593
Originally Posted by bertheike View Post
Dear William, could you kindly confirm again, that for this year we also can make Platinum status with 25 stays ! I don't find it, and @ Marriott hotline nobody is able to help, them all say only 50 night reqalify. But i remember @ the beginning of the year it was confirmed somewhere, that ( only stays in SPG propertys count until end of end 2018 ) to requalify for PLATINUM.

thanks
Bert
This is what it says at members.marriott.com.

"Starting January 1, 2019, Elite status will be achieved on nights and not on stays. Until then, SPG members can achieve status based on stays at SPG-associated brands only, AND can also qualify based on nights across the 29 brands."

I'm not sure how more clear it can be.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Marriott International

[email protected]
bhrubin likes this.
Starwood Lurker is offline  
Old Sep 20, 18, 10:26 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: UK
Programs: Bonvoy Plat, AA EXP, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz 5*
Posts: 2,508
I cancelled an award stay on the 18th (I know!). I do not believe the points were credited back. Who should I speak to? Or should I keep waiting? Thanks.
wobbly wings is offline  
Old Sep 20, 18, 10:28 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Germany / Thailand
Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Posts: 3,082
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
This is what it says at members.marriott.com.

"Starting January 1, 2019, Elite status will be achieved on nights and not on stays. Until then, SPG members can achieve status based on stays at SPG-associated brands only, AND can also qualify based on nights across the 29 brands."

I'm not sure how more clear it can be.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Marriott International

[email protected]
Thank you for the link, this i was searching.

Bert
bertheike is offline  
Old Sep 20, 18, 10:37 am
  #24  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,329
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
This is what it says at members.marriott.com.

"Starting January 1, 2019, Elite status will be achieved on nights and not on stays. Until then, SPG members can achieve status based on stays at SPG-associated brands only, AND can also qualify based on nights across the 29 brands."

I'm not sure how more clear it can be.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Marriott International

[email protected]
Any chance this can be shared with the CSRs? Maybe addressing the source of the frustration will go much further than confirming with us that they are wrong.
RogerD408 is offline  
Old Sep 20, 18, 10:44 am
  #25  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Posts: 31,593
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
Any chance this can be shared with the CSRs? Maybe addressing the source of the frustration will go much further than confirming with us that they are wrong.
They get weekly advisories and should know this already, so I'm not sure a macro approach is going to do much good if they are not reading with comprehension. Plus, they have access to members.marriott.com just like everyone here and should be using that as a resource.

A much more effective route would be to know exactly who did not know and launch a surgical strike from within.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Marriott International

[email protected]
Starwood Lurker is offline  
Old Sep 24, 18, 1:33 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Germany / Thailand
Programs: M&M/S SPG livetime gold, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Posts: 3,082
Dear William, 2 more questions
1.) Is there somewhere anything written that we only get stay/night credit for one room ? Even booked bevore changes were anounced ? I think them should credit stays / nights after the old SPG rule ( until end of the year, specially those which had been booked bevor changes came in. If not, is it possible to change the holder of the reservation ( let's say to wifes name ? that the night/stay credit @ least there will be credited ?
2.) With SPG we had been able ( as platinum members !!! ) to transfer 1 point to a FFP ( interesting for all those which wanted to keep accounts open from expirering ) . Now i see minimum is 3000 points are to transfer. is this correct or i oversee something ?

Thank's
Bert
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker View Post
Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Marriott International

[email protected]
bertheike is offline  
Old Sep 24, 18, 1:47 pm
  #27  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Posts: 31,593
Originally Posted by bertheike View Post
Dear William, 2 more questions
1.) Is there somewhere anything written that we only get stay/night credit for one room ? Even booked bevore changes were anounced ? I think them should credit stays / nights after the old SPG rule ( until end of the year, specially those which had been booked bevor changes came in. If not, is it possible to change the holder of the reservation ( let's say to wifes name ? that the night/stay credit @ least there will be credited ?
2.) With SPG we had been able ( as platinum members !!! ) to transfer 1 point to a FFP ( interesting for all those which wanted to keep accounts open from expirering ) . Now i see minimum is 3000 points are to transfer. is this correct or i oversee something ?

Thank's
Bert
As I said before the merger, regardless of when a booking was made, once the programs were combined, you are only going to get stay and night credit for one room if the stay happens after the merger. Any charges related to up to two additional rooms will be accounted for in that posting.

Also, IIRC, SPG quit allowing 1 Starpoint to be transferred to an airline long before the merger. The least a member could transfer would be 1,000 Starpoints regardless of membership level. Nevertheless, even if my memory is failing on that point, it is the new combined program rules which prevail. So, if there is a 3,000 point minimum, then you did not miss anything.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Marriott International

[email protected]
Starwood Lurker is offline  
Old Sep 25, 18, 11:58 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: HKG
Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Posts: 1,327
Originally Posted by bertheike View Post
Dear William, 2 more questions
1.) Is there somewhere anything written that we only get stay/night credit for one room ? Even booked bevore changes were anounced ? I think them should credit stays / nights after the old SPG rule ( until end of the year, specially those which had been booked bevor changes came in. If not, is it possible to change the holder of the reservation ( let's say to wifes name ? that the night/stay credit @ least there will be credited ?
Thank's
Bert
FYI Bert, the new T&C specifically mentioned that only the room you stay will get night count, and can get points for expenses for up to 3 rooms per night including the room you stay... Guess they assumed you won't be staying in two rooms simultaneously on any one night.... (which so far you can only physically occupy at most one room at any point of time even you run around the different rooms you've booked)

When it was still SPG, I booked two rooms and during check-in, my friend can "take over" the room he stayed and get the credit to his account. So it's a "yes" to your question.... in the old system..... Don't know if Marriott's system let you do so or not.... If the stay has not yet taken place you may try adding your wife's name into the second room, and let her to do the check-in... Please let me know if this works or not if you really try doing this

p.s. Hi William, may I know if there's anyone in IT department still working on getting our outstanding issues resolved? I know you've helped me to draw the attention of the relevant senior person on my account problem but up till now it's still unresolved... thanks....
sscywong is offline  
Old Sep 25, 18, 12:17 pm
  #29  
Company Representative - Starwood
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Austin, Texas
Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Posts: 31,593
Originally Posted by sscywong View Post
...p.s. Hi William, may I know if there's anyone in IT department still working on getting our outstanding issues resolved? I know you've helped me to draw the attention of the relevant senior person on my account problem but up till now it's still unresolved... thanks....
Yes. Still waiting to hear something in return. My apologies for the delay.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Marriott International

[email protected]
Starwood Lurker is offline  
Old Sep 25, 18, 5:06 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Northwest NJ
Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Posts: 2,305
Dear William - exasperated. 14 years as SPG Platinum. Spoke to an agent about a month ago - I wanted to cancel my St Regis NY stay and rebook with Marriott points - ended up saving 180,000. He told me the good news is that I have 599 lifetime nights and since I only needed 600 for Lifetime Platinum - and had four nights coming in Tel Aviv and five in NY - I was good to go. Checked online and sure enough, it was listed as 599! Then about 3 weeks ago, checked again and all of a sudden, it was down to 576! I have 9 nights booked but that only brings me to 585, 15 short of the "needed" 600. Long call with an associate named Debbie who started a case number (BTW, each call is over 30 minutes on hold - to the Platinum line!). She told me it would be resolved. Called back a week later on the 16th - again another lovely agent, this time named Kim. She read to me the email she was typing to her supervisor and promised it would be acted on in 24 hours. Today is NINE days later. Called again, same wait and this time asked for a Supervisor. First he told me this is not an uncommon problem and they are working on it. Not at all reassuring. We went back and forth until he told me that currently I only needed 500 nights for Lifetime Platinum - it goes to 600 next year. I was astounded and distrustful - none of the other three agents seemed to know that.

Sorry to be so long-winded but the issue is 1. Is he right, and 2. if not, any ideas how to get my missing nights back? Are all calls recorded because if so, they should have a copy of the agent telling me I had 599 nights. Never thought to save that screen - why would I? My wonderful years as a Starwood Platinum and ambassador (small "a"!) have morphed into total exasperation. Appreciate any help or insight. I can provide the case number if you wish. Many thanks

Steve Schwartz

Just added - here is the email I just got from the Supervisor:Member Assistance <[email protected]>

6:57 PM (22 minutes ago)
to me

Hello Dr Schwartz,
This is Shadrack and as per our discussion, you are qualified to become a lifetime platinum elite.
Congratulations for you achievement and we appreciate your loyalty as a platinum elite.
I will like to specify that, your new membership status will not show until the January 2019.


Best regards,

Shadrack A. Tutu
Loyalty Assistant Supervisor
Marriott International

Last edited by stevens397; Sep 25, 18 at 5:31 pm Reason: New email
stevens397 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread