Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Possible to modify SPG award reservations made prior to the merger?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:42 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club

Hi all,

Looked for a Q&A thread to put this in, but I think with the flux of the merger, I might've missed the best place to post it, in which case, mods, please move - thanks.

I have a couple of reservations I speculatively made before the merger. Now that I have flights, I need to move them - hither and thither by about a day. Of course, the properties are all more expensive now. I feel like Starwood Lurker was saying that this will be possible without paying additional rates, but I neither have the link to that post nor do I even know for certain that that was the statement, and I don't want to spend an hour on the phone with the Platinum desk.

Any idea if I can change, or am I out of luck?

Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I don’t think you can change the dates. What William said is if a property goes down in points, you can get a refund without having to cancel/rebook. Sorry

You’re probably thinking of post # 1954 here.

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August
Old Sep 2, 2018, 10:39 am
Community Director Emerita

I agree with margarita girl. Because you are changing dates, you are not keeping the reservations that you made. Rather, you have to begin fresh with a new booking. I made some one night bookings for sequential nights because I wasn't absolutely confident of travel dates. That made it easy to cancel the start or the end of the stay.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Don't forget that many people aren't getting their points back promptly when cancelling SPG award stays. So unless you have a healthy balance, you might not be able to cancel and rebook.

Might be easier to change your flights than your hotel bookings...
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Don't forget that many people aren't getting their points back promptly when cancelling SPG award stays. So unless you have a healthy balance, you might not be able to cancel and rebook.

Might be easier to change your flights than your hotel bookings...
LOL. True eh. I’d say something like “considering what a charlie foxtrot the whole thing has been, the least they can do is goodwill the reservation changes without a points bump”, but I guess that logic is somehow wrong. Sigh.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You asked a different question in the thread title than in the first post.

To answer what's in the thread title:

Yes, you can technically modify SPG award reservations online and depending on what you change it may not reprice. I only changed my arrival time (from morning to evening, because of flight rerouting), and that took without any changes to the rate.

But of course a date change would be different.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You asked a different question in the thread title than in the first post.

To answer what's in the thread title:

Yes, you can technically modify SPG award reservations online and depending on what you change it may not reprice. I only changed my arrival time (from morning to evening, because of flight rerouting), and that took without any changes to the rate.

But of course a date change would be different.
Fair. Sorry. To me, "modify" means a substantial change - changing times and so on is hardly likely to impact hotel revenue, so they're unlikely to reprice those. Date change is another story...

Anyway, I'll probably try Customer Service in a few months when things have settled down (where's my Chat..) and if it's a no, I'll just stay at an Intercontinental in this particular instance - I have zero desire to reward Marriott with more points after this awful mess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.