Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

How to Maintain Marriott Status?

Like to plan ahead.

I'm presently Marriott Platinum. Here is what my normal travel each year:

2 free annual nights from RC CCs
5 free annual nights from MR/SPG CCs
15 annual elite night credit (any CC)

This leaves me with 28 more nights to maintain Platinum. I can think about another 10 nights of travel for the year. So I'm about 18 nights short. I'm not sure if there is anything else I can squeeze out of.

The easy (or hard) way is to spend $75,000 to get to Platinum level just on spending and worry nothing about the night credit.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RedSun
Like to plan ahead.
If you'd planned ahead one month ago, you could have done a couple of meetings for 10 elite nights each.

Although I suppose if you've never done a meeting, you could get the 10 nights since one would be your "first" meeting.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:50 pm

Like to plan ahead.

I'm presently Marriott Platinum. Here is what my normal travel each year:

2 free annual nights from RC CCs
5 free annual nights from MR/SPG CCs
15 annual elite night credit (any CC)

This leaves me with 28 more nights to maintain Platinum. I can think about another 10 nights of travel for the year. So I'm about 18 nights short. I'm not sure if there is anything else I can squeeze out of.

The easy (or hard) way is to spend $75,000 to get to Platinum level just on spending and worry nothing about the night credit.
you will be another 7 nights short since in 2019 only a maximum of 15CC nights will be credited.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
If you'd planned ahead one month ago, you could have done a couple of meetings for 10 elite nights each.

Although I suppose if you've never done a meeting, you could get the 10 nights since one would be your "first" meeting.
Excellent point. I'll look into this. Thx.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myperks

you will be another 7 nights short since in 2019 only a maximum of 15CC nights will be credited.
For 2019, I should get the Plat from the Ritz Carlton CC, probably to Feb 2020. To maintain the Plat, I get 15 (MR CC) + 4 annual nights from MR/RC/SPG CCs. This is a total 19 nights. If I travel 10 more nights, it is a total of 29 nights. Get 21 nights to reach the magic 50.

If I reach $75,000 RC card spending in 2019, I get Plat for rest of 2019 (do not really need it) and all of 2020. But they won't add to the lifetime elite nights.
-------------
Just updated it since I counted family CC annual nights.

Last edited by RedSun; Sep 1, 2018 at 12:57 am
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
For 2019, I should get the Plat from the Ritz Carlton CC, probably to Feb 2020. To maintain the Plat, I get 15 (MR CC) + 5 annual nights from MR/SPG CCs + 2 annual nights from 2 RC CCs + 2 bonus nights from the new RC CC. This is a total 24 nights. If I travel 10 more nights, it is a total of 34 nights. Get 16 nights to reach the magic 50.

If I reach $75,000 RC card spending in 2019, I get Plat for rest of 2019 (do not really need it) and all of 2020. But they won't add to the lifetime elite nights.
If you will be platinum in 2019 from the Ritz CC, are you just wanting platinum for the rest of 2018?

If that is the case, you might be able to sign up for a platinum challenge. With all of the changes going on, I actually don't know what is required in a platinum challenge now. However, if you are able to change hotels during your 10 nights this year, that should be enough.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeanie
If you will be platinum in 2019 from the Ritz CC, are you just wanting platinum for the rest of 2018?

If that is the case, you might be able to sign up for a platinum challenge. With all of the changes going on, I actually don't know what is required in a platinum challenge now. However, if you are able to change hotels during your 10 nights this year, that should be enough.
I"m already Plat. Probably Plat to Feb-2020 with the RC CC $10k spending. This is for 2020 and general....
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:36 am

For 2019, I should get the Plat from the Ritz Carlton CC, probably to Feb 2020. To maintain the Plat, I get 15 (MR CC) + 5 annual nights from MR/SPG CCs + 2 annual nights from 2 RC CCs + 2 bonus nights from the new RC CC. This is a total 24 nights. If I travel 10 more nights, it is a total of 34 nights. Get 16 nights to reach the magic 50.

if i'm not mistaken, you will only get a maximum of 15 nights starting 2019 from ALL credit card sources combined unless its different for the RC card.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by myperks
if i'm not mistaken, you will only get a maximum of 15 nights starting 2019 from ALL credit card sources combined unless its different for the RC card.
So the annual reward nights (actual stays) do not count as elite nights? For 2018, I got the night credit for the redeemed RC bonus nights and the nights/stays from the SPG cards (just holding the CCs).

I thought the "non-stacking" is only for the 15 elite nights, no matter if you hold one or 5 MR/SPG CCs. But actual stays (paid, annual award nights and redeemed nights) all count as actual stays....
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:47 am

So the annual reward nights (actual stays) do not count as elite nights? For 2018, I got the night credit for the redeemed RC bonus nights and the nights/stays from the SPG cards (just holding the CCs).

I thought the "non-stacking" is only for the 15 elite nights, no matter if you hold one or 5 MR/SPG CCs. But actual stays (paid, annual award nights and redeemed nights) all count as actual stays....
my bad then, i read your post as CC elite nights because logically the nights from award stays (in your case from CCs) will count regardless.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:50 am

I"m already Plat. Probably Plat to Feb-2020 with the RC CC $10k spending. This is for 2020 and general....
The only way to get platinum in 2020 right now is to earn lifetime platinum status. Otherwise, you would need to earn 2020 status in 2019 or early in 2020.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:51 am
Suspended
Original Poster

7. Each calendar year a maximum of 15 Elite Night credits will be credited to one of your Marriott Loyalty Program accounts operated by Marriott International (i.e., Marriott Rewards®, Starwood Preferred Guest® or The Ritz-Carlton Rewards®) (the “Marriott Loyalty Program”) on or before March 1 in accordance with the Marriott Loyalty Program terms and conditions. To qualify for the 15 Elite Night credits, you must be the primary cardmember and your credit card account must be open and not in default as of December 31 of the prior year and you must be a member in good standing with the Marriott Loyalty Program. A maximum of 15 Elite Night credits will be awarded per Marriott Loyalty Program member even if the Marriott Loyalty Program member has more than one Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, or Ritz-Carlton Rewards credit card account or is a member of more than one Marriott Loyalty Program. Chase is not responsible for offer fulfillment or the provision of or failure to provide the stated benefits and services.

When I read it, it says we get 15 elite night credit just to hold one of more of the MR/RC/SPG cards. I hold several CCs, but can only claim 15 elite night credit only.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by craigthemif

Is the 10 night meeting bonus once per year? or once per account?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:07 am

Since you are looking for 2020 status, not 2019 status, the best way to do that might be to keep the RC card. The $450 annual fee and spending might be the cheapest way to keep Platinum indefinitely if your travel doesn't earn the status for you organically.

Your nights in 2018 will only count towards 2019 status, not 2020 status.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:14 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by jeanie
Since you are looking for 2020 status, not 2019 status, the best way to do that might be to keep the RC card. The $450 annual fee and spending might be the cheapest way to keep Platinum indefinitely if your travel doesn't earn the status for you organically.

Your nights in 2018 will only count towards 2019 status, not 2020 status.
15 days (credit card)
10 days (rewarding events)
10 days (planned travel)
total 35 days.

the 15 days shortfall can be made up by mattress runs at Cat 1 hotels in Asia. Assume $50 a night that’s $750 which is a price to consider if it’s “worthwhile” that varies from person to person.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.