Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott’s rocky rollout of new combined program not covered by bloggers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott’s rocky rollout of new combined program not covered by bloggers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:36 pm

It’s hard to get people to click (and get commissions from) your SPG Luxury signup link if you’re bothering to tell people they can’t do a damn thing with the points.
bgriff and notquiteaff like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by ohiosux
It’s hard to get people to click (and get commissions from) your SPG Luxury signup link if you’re bothering to tell people they can’t do a damn thing with the points.
..It's equally hard to convince someone to sign up for an SPG credit card when you reveal that some of the prior benefits have vanished!

-James
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:44 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Several of the bloggers mentioned here are highly critical of businesses while still pushing credit cards (maybe not TPG) - just because they aren't ranting like a reddit/FT post doesn't mean they are being critical. I think the integration date was ambitious given the requirements and don't see the issues being resolved anytime soon. I'm sure some of them reached out to their contacts at Marriott, and were being stonewalled or waiting for delayed responses. Even a 95% success rate from 70 million users still means there are 5million or so users that were negatively affected, and it likely affects users with more stay history, spend history, and a diverse experience across marriott/starwood, so we're seeing way more datapoints online that suggest that the sky is falling (it definitely is for front-line CSR, who were woefully underprepared for the merger). That said, you would think they would make sure their most important users were kept happy....I'm annoyed for many reasons, having stayed in hotels 25 out of 30 days this month and having mediocre to poor experiences overall at respectable properties, and will be in about 20 the next month.
unclepants likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
. Even a 95% success rate from 70 million users still means there are 5million or so users that were negatively affected, and it likely affects users with more stay history, spend history, and a diverse experience across marriott/starwood, so we're seeing way more datapoints online that suggest that the sky is falling (it definitely is for front-line CSR, who were woefully underprepared for the merger). That said, you would think they would make sure their most important users were kept happy....I'm annoyed for many reasons, having stayed in hotels 25 out of 30 days this month and having mediocre to poor experiences overall at respectable properties, and will be in about 20 the next month.
I tend to agree, I am missing future reservations, current reservations, Status, past stays and points. I avoided Marriott/spg the week of the integration but at what point is we are working on it turn into it is fixed. With 200 nights a year in hotels everything is a moving target, and at this point I have no confidence in Marriott or Marriott IT. Marriott has the same issues as Hilton, some decent hotels, great footprint, but the brand treats you as a number, where with the smaller SPG program I always had the human touch.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I went through some of the Loyalty Lobby posts of the past couple weeks...good on him for actually covering this how it's been unfolding, not the pillow soft touch of the others.
imverge likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond
OMAAT has a post on work arounds to the long hold times he is experiencing as a member with lifetime status and an ambassador.

He doesn't even sound upset about it.

Compare that to his outrage at a lobster roll on American.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, National Executive
Agree, there's an eerie amount of silence and lack of vitriol from the blogosphere on this SPG Marriott merger aftermath. Some of these bloggers have got worked up on much more random and smaller things so its quite surprising this mess is not something they're willing to get angry over, doesn't quite add up. Recalling Zach Honig's and Matthew's rants on specific in-flight amenities and comforts, and Gary's rants on AA award availability.

I do think this FT thread has led to a few of these bloggers posting something in the past 24 hours. Gary at VFTW went so far as to ask Marriott specific questions.

FT to the rescue!
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Gary has a post on it today
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
This thread has made me realize how little I value or care about bloggers.

Long live FT!
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Why No Coverage Of Marriott’s Lies Towards Their Elite Customers?

I believe where Marriott and Mr. Flueck have been twisting the truth are:

1. Breakfast benefit (I will wrote about this tomorrow)

– Not as good as promised

2. Disappearing lounges at Starwood Resorts

– Marriott Resorts were not required to have lounged (more F&B spend by the guests)

3. 20% More Points

If you consider that you get less welcome amenity points, green choice points have been cut, so have been Best Rate Guarantee, top tier bonus has gone from 100% to 75%, it is very difficult for me to believe that elite members earn 20% more under this “new” program that really is just Marriott Rewards.

4. All Suite SPG Hotels

All hotels were supposed to be available at category 7 prices until the end of this year but they are not. The SPG all suite hotels are not available for bookings online (only one based on the piece I wrote) but you can book them at inflated rates over the phone.

5. Travel Package Mess

There was huge mess with Travel Package mapping between the “old” and the “new” program where Marriott tried to take members to the “cleaners”.

Not sure why anyone at Marriott Rewards leadership thought that it would make any sense to anger the membership by not being forthcoming with mapping and then offering terrible ratio?

6. IT Integration

It is clear that the Marriott Rewards and SPG integration was forced when the IT wasn’t ready. It was moved ahead from the end of 2018 to August. Two weeks after the merger and many members still don’t have access to their accounts and there are many other issues too.

Conclusion

I have no idea what kind of Marriott/SPG coverage other blogs have had for the past two weeks because I don’t follow any. If they haven’t covered issues that have affected members, there must be financial reasons behind that (follow the money). It must be difficult to push their credit card products if you write about integration and a program merger objectively?

I was rolling my eyes when I saw Mr. Flueck’s Hotel News Now interview on Monday after merger where he claimed that everything was basically running perfectly when all the systems were down. To be frank, I am not sure in which reality he was living in.

https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/08/30/...ite-customers/

John at Loyalty Lobby is the only one who tells it like it is.
notquiteaff and EuropeanPete like this.

Last edited by bdschobel; Sep 1, 2018 at 7:53 pm Reason: removed masked profanity
Old Sep 1, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
The bloggers for most part are only useful to be read as if they were PR firms.
EuropeanPete and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:22 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Dambus
It was a reminder to me.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dayone
It was a reminder to me.
Suddenly I am much more cognizant of the credit card flogging.

Like there will be a post mildly critical of the merger, but it will close with a reference and links to the Chase Marriott and AMEX SPG cards.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:21 pm

Interesting, after your hot thread here, now we see new blog articles about the merge again.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Dambus

Long live FT!
I’ve been in the world of loyalty for 14 years and have seen “Travel Bloggers” evolve from Travel Community Advocates to Credit Card Shills that offers little to no value on information. So I say good riddance to people trying to make a fast buck by bamboozling them with conjecture instead of factual information and this is why I will never think of Travel Bloggers as proper credentialized media even if they claim to be otherwise.
Dambus, ehud and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.