Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott’s rocky rollout of new combined program not covered by bloggers

Marriott’s rocky rollout of new combined program not covered by bloggers

Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by reigndrop

so true on Sam. On top of that he lied to everyone when he said he worked in investment banking when in reality he worked in IT at an investment fund and was fired after people at work caught onto this antics.

Its as rich as TPG saying he worked in investment banking at Morgan Stanley when we as an HR rep
I've heard multiple podcasts and interview with TPG where he's talked openly about his HR job at Morgan Stanley.
I guess he could've said "he worked in the investment banking world at Morgan Stanley" or something to that effect.
But if you heard him say that he was an "investment banker" or "in investment banking" (implying he worked the money-side) then that would be an inaccurate description of what he did for sure.
Yet, again, I've never heard him say that.

I can't speak to Sam Chui's resume as I don't really follow his blog.

Anyway, I guess the blogs covering more of the IT issues would be better at it would better inform their readers on the realities of the merger, but we are really talking about a small number or readers and even smaller number of uber-users who have the points-and-miles expertise to care about these issue. If it got national news (I'm talking 24hr cable news or a verified-/celebrity-account tweet), then perhaps more people would have awareness,and be upset or outraged. This is all still pretty niche IMHO.
Important, but still niche.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
The only guys whose videos I follow on Youtube are Dantorp and Paul's Trip Reports. The rest are 100% shills who wouldn't get out of bed if there wasn't a sponsored flight in J awaiting them.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by TomBrady
I do SAP implementations all the time. A lot of these issues should have been worked out during the mocks and QA's. By day 5 of the implementation we should be further along than we are. On the other hand, we have no clue how many fires they put out to even get to this point. All in all, im personally disappointed in the roll out, but if everything is good by end of next week, I will consider this somewhat successful from a technical standpoint..
I'm surprised Belichick lets you do that during the season.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
From my point of view, you expect problems with these sort of IT integrations. Only a fool would expect 100% on day one. Any sensible person would give them 2 weeks to get their house in order.

Overnight, for eg, they have correctly adjusted the status of those who did a Plat challenge from P to PP.

Personally I think you just look stupid knocking out blog posts moaning about glitches in an IT merger impacting 110 million people, especially as no-one is losing financially.
Old Hickory and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Raffles
From my point of view, you expect problems with these sort of IT integrations. Only a fool would expect 100% on day one. Any sensible person would give them 2 weeks to get their house in order.

Overnight, for eg, they have correctly adjusted the status of those who did a Plat challenge from P to PP.

Personally I think you just look stupid knocking out blog posts moaning about glitches in an IT merger impacting 110 million people, especially as no-one is losing financially.
I'd largely agree, though if the anecdotes getting reported here are repeated a million times elsewhere about hotels not providing status benefits and/ or not even recognising status, then people are losing out financially. Time will tell how much is week 1 IT SNAFUs, ongoing IT problems and structural under-delivery by the programme.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by osotoc
I've heard multiple podcasts and interview with TPG where he's talked openly about his HR job at Morgan Stanley.
I guess he could've said "he worked in the investment banking world at Morgan Stanley" or something to that effect.
But if you heard him say that he was an "investment banker" or "in investment banking" (implying he worked the money-side) then that would be an inaccurate description of what he did for sure.
Yet, again, I've never heard him say that.

I can't speak to Sam Chui's resume as I don't really follow his blog.

Anyway, I guess the blogs covering more of the IT issues would be better at it would better inform their readers on the realities of the merger, but we are really talking about a small number or readers and even smaller number of uber-users who have the points-and-miles expertise to care about these issue. If it got national news (I'm talking 24hr cable news or a verified-/celebrity-account tweet), then perhaps more people would have awareness,and be upset or outraged. This is all still pretty niche IMHO.
Important, but still niche.
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/pod...-when-to-jump/

used interchangeably which is pretty misleading. Anyways, I'll get back on topic now
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by reigndrop

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/11/pod...-when-to-jump/

used interchangeably which is pretty misleading. Anyways, I'll get back on topic now
Thanks. This is helpful.

Yes, the blog post title could mislead readers as it did you, but I take it as "investment banking" in the broad sense of "Wall Street" and every job packed into that.
In the context of the article--"Not happy with the career path and the pay, TPG headed for investment banking — but that still didn’t fulfill him. After a few years in HR at Morgan Stanley and raking in the points for all his work-related travel"--it clearly outlines he worked HR.
Still, if it sullies his expertise for you or his overall point-of-view or sincerity that's between you and your blog RSS feeds. :-)

But I see your point, nonetheless.

Back on topic, I feel I've gained enough information from the blogs I choose to read about the merger.
I only read a few (probably 4 with any regularity), but my needs and want for information and deep dives is certainly different from yours or anyone else's.
Perhaps my 25 years in the military shield me from the drama, manufactured and real, about what I've chosen to be my fun little hobby.

Happy Travels!
Old Aug 24, 2018, 5:35 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Bloggers are fanboys trying to make money off other people’s triumphs or miseries. Their goal has never been to pass on knowledge for the betterment of the world, but to profit from it. I hold forum members and indeed moderators in much higher esteem for that reason.
cruisr, jrm68, reigndrop and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 9:41 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

The biggest problem post-merger is going to be the breakfast benefit, in my opinion.
Assume all the IT glitches clear up, this nonsensical confusing exception-riddled "perk" is still going to be around.
What an opportunity for a blogger to weigh in and highlight this issue, perhaps pushing Marriott corporate to simplify to a better / cleaner offering..!
Oh wait, there are other things to pu$h..
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:32 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by dayone
Two of the more popular bloggers (and apparently the favorite bloggers of some here) are known scrapers of FT posts and threads.
I've found them useful as an FT aggregator. When I don't have the time to check multiple forums, a quick glance at their blog flags the relevant happenings for the day, and I can head to FT for more detail.
caburrito likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by izzik
The biggest problem post-merger is going to be the breakfast benefit, in my opinion.
Assume all the IT glitches clear up, this nonsensical confusing exception-riddled "perk" is still going to be around.
What an opportunity for a blogger to weigh in and highlight this issue, perhaps pushing Marriott corporate to simplify to a better / cleaner offering..!
Oh wait, there are other things to pu$h..
As you point out, this is a tricky thing where we might want a consistent rule that can be pointed to for non-compliant hotels, but OTOH there are quite a few hotels on the legacy SPG side that have consistently gone above and beyond...
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wonder whether Starriott told its hotels to paint a rosy face and talk to guests about how smooth and successful the merger has been. I'm definitely getting this from legacy Marriott assistant managers, but Starwood hotels frankly say that they've had difficulties with the merger/transition. Warning: small data set, really anecdotal information.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It is a bit of a shame that travel blogging at the successful end has moved from being a hobbyist service to being a commercial enterprise. Perhaps the lack of coverage can remind us that we are not the customers or audience of the travel bloggers, we are the product being sold.
Have you researched "mattresses" lately? Google matress bloggers if you need some validation for product bogging.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by Raffles
Personally I think you just look stupid knocking out blog posts moaning about glitches in an IT merger impacting 110 million people
Originally Posted by Antarius
I guess I just see this as a lot of teeth gnashing over a short term first world problem.

marriott should be better at communicating though.
I respectfully suggest that you're both wrong.

A blog post about the problems can be more than just p*ssing & moaning. Most obviously, a blogger can garner clicks while performing a useful service to the readers by identifying certain glitches as just glitches that people shouldn't get upset about.

A good example: the bug in the merge-accounts code that causes YTD nights to be labeled "Lifetime Nights" in error. It would set a lot of minds at rest, not to mention take some of the needless burden off of Marriott, to assure people that the numbers aren't screwed up, that it's just a text error, and that the right numbers will display if you go ahead and complete the account-merger process. Marriott isn't doing a good job of explaining such things, as you note above.

So this notion that blogging on the subject can only be tooth-gnashing or fawning worship is silly. The bloggers could easily help clear the air by pointing out established facts & dispelling some of the fears & myths that have sprung up. That would benefit everyone, and the lack of such blogging reflects rather poorly on the bloggers in question.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wonder whether Starriott told its hotels to paint a rosy face and talk to guests about how smooth and successful the merger has been. I'm definitely getting this from legacy Marriott assistant managers, but Starwood hotels frankly say that they've had difficulties with the merger/transition. Warning: small data set, really anecdotal information.
I imagine the Starwood Hotels would have a more difficult time ... not sure how the data on the different levels fits into the Lightspeed system. Plus, exchanging reservation data from the hotel system with the broader Marriott system could be problematic. We're only seeing the Business to Consumer side ... considering how clunky that is working, I'm wondering how the B to B side is working. That side, of course, isn't just an annoyance ... its revenue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.