Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott’s rocky rollout of new combined program not covered by bloggers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott’s rocky rollout of new combined program not covered by bloggers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I hear you and aplogize for framing my frustration in a way to demean original MR members. I now understand that not everyone has a choice to willingly select MR as their program.

I will say that most companies do keep a fair pulse of customer feedback, so I'm surprised that MR members have put up with a website that didn't display average rates, only discloses generic details of rates, doesn't allow for a search of up to 4 rate types at once and lacks property details such as public transportation options, property specific announcements and user-submitted photos. Perhaps there are other more important factors to the average MR member, but it does seem to me like MR members are less sophisticated to not demand or want those features. Clearly Starwood was smaller and more attuned to that kind of feedback, hence frustration from people like myself. Same for a very small amount of points for foregoing housekeeping, allowing pedestrian F&B options, etc.
Thank you for your apology!

I disagree with your assertion that Marriott's clunky user interface is proof that Marriott Rewards members are not sophisticated. As someone else just mentioned, SPG's user interface was clunky, too...does that mean that SPG members are not sophisticated? No, of course not. You cannot blame the customers for the failures of the IT system. Do you blame Marriott Rewards members for this horrible roll out of the merger, too?

Honestly, I have more important things to do with my time than to fight with Marriott to improve every little thing. I work in a Healthcare IT job that requires me to regularly fight with my client's vendor to get them to fix critical defects that affect patients' lives (in other words, people could die if these things don't get fixed). And when I say I have to fight to get them fixed, I really mean FIGHT! Then sometimes I also have to fight with Verizon to fix my bill because they overcharged, or fight with United to credit half of my miles back after I used twice as many miles for first but they rebooked me into coach due to irregular operations, or fight with my health insurance company to pay for something they're supposed to cover, etc. After all of this fighting, I can't deal with fighting Marriott to improve their user interface. You are more than welcome to take on that battle if it's that important to you. Good luck! 😶
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by smgainey; Aug 26, 2018 at 6:43 am
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:14 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
The blackout period on integration posts must have been lifted: https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...d-integration/
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Good call-out of Lucky! I like him a lot but agreed he has fallen short on this one.

Gary did just have another article where he semi-calls out Marriott
You woke Lucky up!!!!

As a side note, I don't believe the bloggers are getting compensation or free stays from Marriott ... haven't reviewed the FTC rules in a while but believe they wood need to disclose that, as they do regarding their credit cards. That being said, I'd be surprised if Lucky's ambassador didn't alert the properties that he stays at that he is a travel blogger which then leads them to give him their best upgrades ...
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:47 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
The blackout period on integration posts must have been lifted: https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...d-integration/
Originally Posted by One Mile at a Time"
We’ve seen all the major US airlines go through mergers, and I don’t recall their loyalty program integrations ever having this many issues.
I guess he slept through the UA-CO fiasco.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Raffles

I also don’t understand why you think bloggers, who have kids and other responsibilities like anyone else, are so desperate for a free stay somewhere. I hired someone young and childless at a very chunky full-time salary partly to take the free J flights and 5-star hotel reviews I am offered, because I have better things to do.
There are certainly different quality of travel blogs and most of us don't begrudge someone who has figured out a way to making a living with travel.

But .... I'd stay focused on job requirements requiring extensive travel ... and avoid hiring for someone based on their age and whether or not they have children. That can create a lot of issues under EU, UK (and US) law.
smgainey and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
You woke Lucky up!!!!

As a side note, I don't believe the bloggers are getting compensation or free stays from Marriott ... haven't reviewed the FTC rules in a while but believe they wood need to disclose that, as they do regarding their credit cards. That being said, I'd be surprised if Lucky's ambassador didn't alert the properties that he stays at that he is a travel blogger which then leads them to give him their best upgrades ...
Ha sure did will be curious if he addresses my comment head-on like Gary did.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:08 pm

Ha sure did will be curious if he addresses my comment head-on like Gary did.
Well ... if I start calling my crisis management/communications strategy contacts, none of them will advise this approach to customer communication

I'll add that they put out their 10Q on August 7. That was probably a factor on why the integration didn't start on August 1. Now, their 10Q won't be out again until November which gives them plenty of time to fix the issue and just have a comment or two about future reservation rates having a temporary drop during the integration.

From the last 10Q
https://marriott.gcs-web.com/node/27946/html

Program changes associated with our integration efforts could have a negative effect on guest preference or behavior. Our integration efforts involve significant changes to certain of our guest programs and services, including our Loyalty Programs, co-branded credit card arrangements and consumer-facing technology platforms and services. While we believe such changes will enhance these programs and services for our guests and drive guest preference and satisfaction, these changes remain subject to various uncertainties, including whether the changes could be negatively perceived by certain guests and consumers, could affect guest preference or could alter reservation, spending or other guest or consumer behavior, all of which could adversely affect our market share, reputation, business, financial condition, or results of operations.

Our business depends on the quality and reputation of our company and our brands, and any deterioration could adversely impact our market share, reputation, business, financial condition, or results of operations. ... Many other factors also can influence our reputation and the value of our brands ... Reputational value is also based on perceptions, and broad access to social media makes it easy for anyone to provide public feedback that can influence perceptions of us, our brands and our hotels, and it may be difficult to control or effectively manage negative publicity, regardless of whether it is accurate. While reputations may take decades to build, negative incidents can quickly erode trust and confidence, particularly if they result in adverse mainstream and social media publicity, governmental investigations or penalties, or litigation. Negative incidents could lead to tangible adverse effects on our business, including consumer boycotts, lost sales, disruption of access to our websites and reservation systems, loss of development opportunities, or associate retention and recruiting difficulties. Any decline in the reputation or perceived quality of our brands or corporate image could affect our market share, reputation, business, financial condition, or results of operations.

Last edited by C17PSGR; Aug 26, 2018 at 8:16 pm
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Well ... if I start calling my crisis management/communications strategy contacts, none of them will advise this approach to customer communication
As I posted on OMAAT...I think we all knew there would be issues. No way around it. Not great for this many a week in, but it happens.

HOWEVER - it's the absolute lack of communication / interaction that is piss poor on Marriott's part. Can't believe the SPG Lurkers have effectively been neutered this quickly to only be posting UA Insider-level drive-bys. Sad.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Better late than never, I suppose, but still a pretty tame report. Many issues not mentioned, including the status-related ones, which are particularly frustrating, or the disappearing SPG stays.
HOWEVER - it's the absolute lack of communication / interaction that is piss poor on Marriott's part. Can't believe the SPG Lurkers have effectively been neutered this quickly to only be posting UA Insider-level drive-bys. Sad.
I was just on the Hilton forum . . . that's now the only major program with a meaningful Insider presence.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

I find the timing highly suspicious that we are now seeing OMAAT & The Points Guy posting some pretty weak criticism of Marriott hours apart.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ua-nyc;
however - it's the absolute lack of communication / interaction that is piss poor on marriott's part. Can't believe the spg lurkers have effectively been neutered this quickly to only be posting ua insider-level drive-bys. Sad.
This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This!

Last edited by imverge; Aug 26, 2018 at 9:16 pm
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by imverge
I find the timing highly suspicious that we are now seeing OMAAT & The Points Guy posting some pretty weak criticism of Marriott hours apart.
Of course it's weak.
Shocker.
Remember, TPG said this was a big win for members.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by imverge
This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This! This!
heh and i thought i was the only one to miss William already...
ill be pouring a shot out on the floor by the front desk on my next spg stay in his honor...
Old Aug 27, 2018, 12:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Kacee
Better late than never, I suppose, but still a pretty tame report. Many issues not mentioned, including the status-related ones, which are particularly frustrating, or the disappearing SPG stays.
8 bulleted issues, followed by "This is only a small sampling of the issues that readers have shared with me".

"there continue to be major issues more than a week into the program merger. Where do we even begin?"

"I really think they should have done better with the actual integration."

"I don’t recall their loyalty program integrations ever having this many issues."

What exactly were you looking for?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:50 am

I really don’t know what they would post about besides the merger has sucked and here’s a list of 30 issues that we aren’t sure if Marriott is fixing them or not because they don’t communicate anything. The lack of communications to the general public is probably similar from Marriott to bloggers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.