Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How was your first Starriott stay?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:50 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
How was your first Starriott stay?

Following the success of the "how was your last SPG stay" thread, I thought it could be instructive to see how the early combined programme stays are going. If you're staying at a hotel you've stayed at before and/ or were an elite in that scheme, there's probably little of interest (apart from system meltdowns), but I think it will be interesting to see how the crossover goes.

I've just checked into the St Ermin's Hotel for the first time as I've avoided Starriot entirely for the last 2 weeks. The hotel itself is lovely, and the check-in process for everyone is really very good - everyone is invited to a free drinks reception to kick off the evening, not something you see in London very often.

On the status side, I'm not sure it's quite working. I was welcomed as a "Marriott member" and when I asked for curiosity later on if the status came through OK I was told that my "Platinum" status had come through. I'm not sure if it's a training thing, a system error or my combined status not showing, but just a data point. I booked a base room and was given no upgrade - not to a Deluxe Room, not to an Executive Room and not to a Suite. Given the hotel pricing, I would say there is zero chance that they had no larger rooms available. My keycard specifies an 11am checkout. I'm not sure whether I would be allowed a 4pm checkout if I asked, but it was certainly not raised.

Based on this experience at least, I receive better loyalty recognition from a smaller chain I've stayed in 4 times than from Starriott which I'm now at 550 nights on. I'll give it some more tries, but for this stay my Platinum Premier Ambassador status was of no value.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gaylord Opryland provided the same total lack of elite recognition they have always provided.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
My first stay post Aug 18 was excellent. Welcomed and thanked for loyalty, upgraded to a Suite even though SNA was declined and treated as good as always. Only issue is that I haven't received stay or points yet and checked out 5 days ago. I'm sure it'll hit eventually.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
The Gwen, two night stay, booked a cheap last sec AAA rate, upgraded two levels to a Grand Deluxe room (big room - I had verified no suites or jr suites available).

All good as usual there, save for being unable to see my room type on the app.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 3:22 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
LeVeque (Columbus OH). FDA recognized me as PP, no upgrade, but room on the top floor with a crappy view. Got what I was entitled to, nothing more. Same as my last stay there.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:21 am

Stay at St Regis Singapore Monday.

Booking via Amex FHR

Recognised gold elite status. One category upgrade from executive deluxe to grand deluxe room, mentioned that if there was availability they would've arranged junior suite.

Requested 10am check in via app. Arrived at 9.20am and room was ready and we checked in.
Late check out of 4pm confirmed due to Amex FHR guarantee. Was requested that the we checked out prior to 5pm, key was programmed for 6pm check out.
Full breakfast was included due to Amex FHR booking.
Overall very impressed with stay, treated very well.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Diamond
Originally Posted by KiwiMarmion

Booking via Amex FHR

Recognised gold elite status. One category upgrade from executive deluxe to grand deluxe room, mentioned that if there was availability they would've arranged junior suite.

Requested 10am check in via app. Arrived at 9.20am and room was ready and we checked in.
Late check out of 4pm confirmed due to Amex FHR guarantee. Was requested that the we checked out prior to 5pm, key was programmed for 6pm check out.
Full breakfast was included due to Amex FHR booking.
Overall very impressed with stay, treated very well.
Yes , they are always happy to ungarde if its not possible, but if upgrades available to suits you will find they go very quiet
Old Aug 31, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Four Points Brentwood Nashville recognized me as a plat (well PPE but who's counting) and was confused about breakfast benefit now that they were Marriott for plats but I tried to straighten them out (discussed elsewhere in the breakfast thread).

I'm more concerned about my return to Milan next month and how I am treated there (where I travel regularly for business) will determine my future with Starriott.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Marriott Westchase Houston. Didn't thank me for loyalty or verbally recognize me as PPE. But all benefits were recognized, so I'm perfectly fine with that. I wouldn't normally pay attention to the check in recognition, but it was my first stay post-IT-merger. No upgrade, but was on the top club level (even though the lounge is off the lobby). I overheard one of the managers saying the next day they were booked full so no conspiracies. Overall, the stay was basically the same as every stay I've had over the years, which is fine with me.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Stay at Al Maha on 20/8. (havent merge the account yet by that time)
Recognise me as SPG PLT and granted me early check in (really early at 8 am)
No upgrade due to all suite resort (although some members said they got upgraded)
Hotel seems not very full
It was an amazing stays.

Previously, stayed at St Regis Sg on 18/8 Singapore time.
Checked in just when the system are down.
No issue during check in.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
At the SGS now and so far as I can tell nothing has changed. Which is of course a huge relief.

Another fantastic upgrade. (Which I think at this point has little to do with my published status level, which is still wrong.)

Originally Posted by KiwiMarmion

Booking via Amex FHR

They've told me that as a Plat, then given me a higher upgrade. But I don't think they like to upgrade to suites from a base room. Singapore in general not your best city for upgrades.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
At the SGS now and so far as I can tell nothing has changed. Which is of course a huge relief.

Another fantastic upgrade. (Which I think at this point has little to do with my published status level, which is still wrong.)

They've told me that as a Plat, then given me a higher upgrade. But I don't think they like to upgrade to suites from a base room. Singapore in general not your best city for upgrades.
they quite stingy with upgrade
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
7 hotels, 4 pre and 3 post, all SPG. Zero upgrades post (not even a room category upgrade and 2 of them seemed to have plenty of higher level availability) and having lots of issues with MAGC
Old Sep 1, 2018, 1:55 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
With my second stay under the belt, it looks like Marriott has downgraded me to SPG Gold/ Marriott Platinum from Platinum Premier Ambassador (approaching 2x Ambassador spend limit for the year).

Checked into the fantastic Caresse and received an old SPG Gold keyfob. No upgrade despite the hotel being quite quiet, and no letter from the GM or bottle of wine which were conventional for SPG Plats. My Ambassador is still AWOL, so there’s nobody I can raise this with (if I am in the mood I might call into the general Ambassador line next week). I’m going to do 1-2 more stays, but if I am unable to realise my status I’m going to spend September and October with Hilton where I am at least Diamond.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 3:09 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by Kacee

sorry what property is SGS? And what room did u get in the end?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.