Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How was your first Starriott stay?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2018, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
7 hotels, 4 pre and 3 post, all SPG. Zero upgrades post (not even a room category upgrade and 2 of them seemed to have plenty of higher level availability) and having lots of issues with MAGC
1. did they recognize your status at your post-checkins?
2. did you challenge them on why you weren't getting any better rooms?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
1. did they recognize your status at your post-checkins?
2. did you challenge them on why you weren't getting any better rooms?
I only challenged at one, but after I had checked in - it seemed like mobile check-ins was auto assigning me a room and since I had already checked-in they wouldn't bother to check - like what Hilton would do.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StatusChallenged
I only challenged at one, but after I had checked in - it seemed like mobile check-ins was auto assigning me a room and since I had already checked-in they wouldn't bother to check - like what Hilton would do.
FWIW I have a lot of experiences at checking in w/SPG 24 hours out, base room still shows, but then day-of, close to check in time I show an upgraded room type. It can change. Though you can't see it at the moment w/craptacular Marriott IT...
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:00 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Checked into the fantastic Caresse and received an old SPG Gold keyfob. No upgrade despite the hotel being quite quiet, and no letter from the GM or bottle of wine which were conventional for SPG Plats.
Wow, very disappointing. I am glad I am going to Bodrum EDITION instead, hopefully I will get better treatment there.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:03 am

Athenee Bangkok, PPE+A repeat guest, booked entry level room and no upgrade despite better rooms (non-suites) available online.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:07 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by escape4
Wow, very disappointing. I am glad I am going to Bodrum EDITION instead, hopefully I will get better treatment there.
Editions give essentially no benefits for elite members, so it’s unlikely! Caresse is still a great hotel with great service, they’ve just been told I don’t often stay at Marriott hotels by corporate. Thanks guys.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by xar
sorry what property is SGS?
Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit
xar likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:08 am

Caresse is still a great hotel with great service, they’ve just been told I don’t often stay at Marriott hotels by corporate. Thanks guys.

And where do they think you stay if you have AMB status?
Old Sep 1, 2018, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Athenee Bangkok, PPE+A repeat guest, booked entry level room and no upgrade despite better rooms (non-suites) available online.
Same question - did you ask them why you weren't upgraded?

You would think a suite in BKK would be a layup for a PPE...or if not available, at least a Deluxe or equivalent
Old Sep 1, 2018, 12:55 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite

And where do they think you stay if you have AMB status?
As I said above, as far as I can tell the hotel thinks i’m SPG Gold/ Marriott Plat - and it seems possible that all hotels are given this info by Corporare at the moment. I’ll try to dig into this at checkout tomorrow, and I have a stay in a different hotel tomorrow night for another check.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Bronze, TK Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Fairmont Premiere, IHG Ambas
Sheraton Ikeja Lagos

- Stayed Aug 12-18 as SPG gold, both Amex match and stays, and SPG Amex Biz holder got my normal upgrade to club level and lounge access. Room upgrade is quite meaningful as I would learn later.

Merged accounts Aug 21, Marriott Gold now with 18 nights to Plat.

-Stayed Aug 27-31 as Marriott Gold with combined nights, no upgrade put in classic room. Later I was told I actually got a upgrade to a Classic Deluxe that has slightly better light fixtures. So in less than 10 days went from the Club level and longe, and good recognition, to walk in and here is your key to the hostel like room. I was amazed how a hotel can have such differences amongst its rooms

Likely my last stay at this hotel, can get more for my spend at the Radisson Blu across the road or even one of the local independent hotels.I cannot pay premium prices and get a fancy dorm.

While staff is always great, they just shrugged and seemed quite restricted with the new bosses.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Plat Premiere lifetime member, all from the Marriott side of things. Decided to do a one night stay at my first SPG hotel today at the Westin Chicago Northwest. Not pleased at all. Asked about lounge and welcome gift/other benefits, and was told I was a Preferred according to spg (I reserved this reservation a couple of days ago, ie postAug 19th and via my Marriott account). At first I tried explaining that I was a Platinum Preferred elite which was higher than Platinum. The FDA apologized for the issues but said that on SPG, Pfd is below Silver/Gold/Platinum...

He said he would tell his supervisor to give me the points welcome gift (chances of that, anyone betting?) but of course the entire thing called into question all the platinum benefits like highest speed internet, breakfast, late checkout, upgrade availability. I have thankfully avoided hotel stays the past few weeks because I could, but this first toe dip in the water and I can feel just a little of the pain that others have been discussing!

Last edited by dcchi; Sep 1, 2018 at 3:09 pm
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I’m going to do 1-2 more stays, but if I am unable to realise my status I’m going to spend September and October with Hilton where I am at least Diamond.
Yes, I'm going to start cancelling Marriott bookings.

There are some properties (such as SGS) that I'll continue to book regardless; otherwise I'm moving stays to Hilton until this is fixed.
EuropeanPete and yurtripper like this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by dcchi
At first I tried explaining that I was a Platinum Preferred elite which was higher than Platinum. The FDA apologized for the issues but said that on SPG, Pfd is below Silver/Gold/Platinum...

I wonder...

Is this bad training? Or a misleading computer system? Or both?

The old SPG status structure is dead. The new loyalty program does not have an status tier called Preferred.

I wonder what code the front desk sees. Perhaps, the agent sees something along the lines of PR for Platinum PRemier — which a front desk agent at a Starwood legacy property could read as PReferred.

This is unacceptable service. I would recommend to dcchi to speak to the manager on duty. The hotel not only owes it to dcchi to provide the appropriate benefits for a Platinum Premier Elite guest, but also to pay the penalty documented at https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi and in the terms & conditions.

The hotel owes dcchi $100 USD because of the hotel's failure to honor the Guaranteed Platinum Elite/Platinum Premier Elite Welcome Gift. At Westin, the gift choices are: "1,000 points per stay or amenity per stay or breakfast in restaurant per day (including resorts)."

If there is a lounge, the dcchi should have lounge access too. And the front desk should have made an effort to upgrade the room for a Platinum Premier Elite guest.
Kacee likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 7:30 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Horace
Is this bad training? Or a misleading computer system? Or both?
I would imagine there is some percentage of front desk staff who are going to seize on changes they don't understand as a reason to say "no." These sorts of people should not be in customer facing positions, but inevitably some of them are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.