Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Over 100 Marriott nights. What should I do til January?

Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum

I just combined my Marriott and Starwood accounts and I'm now a Lifetime Platinum. I have over 100 nights in the combined Marriott/SW for this year, so I was wondering what I should do for the rest of 2018. It's obviously kind of late to look at this, so I don't think I'll be able to get the highest status with anyone else by the end of the year, so I was trying to decide what to do. I think I'll be able to earn about 45 more nights if I start next week.

1. Stay with Marriott and hope they treat me better because I have way more than 100 nights in 2018.
2. Go to Hyatt and go as far as I can.
3. Go to Hilton and go as far as I can (with possible rollover nights?)
4. Some other option?

Just wondering if anyone had any tips. Thanks.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
How many of your 100+ nights are Starwood legacy properties and how many from the Marriott side of the "family"? Also, what is your annual spend to date? I'm asking because you might be close to earning an Ambassador.

What do you want from an elite program?
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How many of your 100+ nights are Starwood legacy properties and how many from the Marriott side of the "family"? Also, what is your annual spend to date? I'm asking because you might be close to earning an Ambassador.

What do you want from an elite program?
I have more than 100 from Starwood and 30+ from Marriott this year, so I already have an ambassador. I just didn't know if I added on a bunch more nights if there was some super secret status that would make them treat me extra nice next year. I think the old Marriott program had that, but maybe not in this new one.

If I switched, I wanted to see what other people preferred and why. 45 nights should get me 2nd tier status in something, and I can see it all the way through next year. My favorite elite benefits are room upgrades and lounge access at select brands.

And now that I'm thinking about it, I guess I'm also wondering what would be the best 2nd program overall since I don't ever need to earn Marriott status ever again.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Speedy Rewards Beverage Club
I am in the same boat...I'm at 105. I have LT Gold...but I don't really care about speeding up the progress to LT Plat.

The Ambassador, even under SPG, was...never useful to me. It was basically someone snooping around my reservations. ("Why do you have a room booked in Atlanta and Phoenix for the same night?") If I ever asked for help with anything, I'd get a "sorry, can't help."

My plan is to do the well-advertised Hyatt challenge...20 nights in 90 days gets you top-tier "Globalist" status thru Feb 2020.

Frankly, I have no real confidence in Marriott's stewardship of what is shaping up to be SPG-lite. Ironically, the combination of my Marriott and SPG nights has, probably like you, given me a few months to go sample another program.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DAYflier
My plan is to do the well-advertised Hyatt challenge...20 nights in 90 days gets you top-tier "Globalist" status thru Feb 2020.
Are there any pre-requisites that you know of? I once had top tier Hyatt status many years ago, so I didn't know if that would exclude me from an offer like that.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Speedy Rewards Beverage Club
Originally Posted by BicMan
Are there any pre-requisites that you know of? I once had top tier Hyatt status many years ago, so I didn't know if that would exclude me from an offer like that.
I can't remember what's gospel these days on FT re- posting links, but if you google "hyatt explorist elite tier promotion," you should get several links. I don't see anything in the T&Cs that would indicate that past elites are not eligible.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DAYflier
I can't remember what's gospel these days on FT re- posting links, but if you google "hyatt explorist elite tier promotion" should give you several summaries of the promo. I don't see anything in the T&Cs that would indicate that past elites are not qualified.
I did find this in the T&C:

Offer only valid for World of Hyatt members who are employed by an entity that has received an invitation from Hyatt for its employees to participate in this offer (any a Qualifying Entity). If you are not sure whether you work for a Qualifying Entity, check with your corporate travel manager.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Explorist isn't the top Hyatt tier.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by BicMan
I did find this in the T&C:

Offer only valid for World of Hyatt members who are employed by an entity that has received an invitation from Hyatt for its employees to participate in this offer (any a Qualifying Entity). If you are not sure whether you work for a Qualifying Entity, check with your corporate travel manager.
That's highly targeted.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
After all the work to achieve status, you want to forego the benefits to start up new with another company? Why not just enjoy the perks you've earned?

Unless you're going to make a permanent switch to another brand, I personally wouldn't bother...because if it were me, I'd be going back to Marriotts in 2019 anyway to enjoy that status, not whatever I made in the new program.
kennycrudup and DJ_Iceman like this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Do you think you're going to need Hyatt (because of destination constraints, perhaps) next year? If not I don't see the point.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Hilton Diamond status match only requires 8 stays in 90 days, and you get the status through March 2020.

Not the most exciting benefits, but hey: it's only 8 stays/nights!

https://statusmatch.hiltonhonors.com/
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by RafKa
Hilton Diamond status match only requires 8 stays in 90 days, and you get the status through March 2020.

Not the most exciting benefits, but hey: it's only 8 stays/nights!

https://statusmatch.hiltonhonors.com/
Is this supposed to be once in a lifetime? I hesitate to request status matches/challenges that I'm not sure I'll really use in order to avoid wasting the opportunity. I may really need such privileges later.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Is this supposed to be once in a lifetime? I hesitate to request status matches/challenges that I'm not sure I'll really use in order to avoid wasting the opportunity. I may really need such privileges later.
Conflicting information here (posts #147 & #163 ).
Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I've done multiple status matches/challenges with Hilton. So in my experience, it isn't a once in a lifetime offer.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.