Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Spend $300 get $60 back (and various similar offers) - Amex sync Marriott offer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2023, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Q: How do I find out about these offers?

A: subscribe to this thread Some other useful related threads to follow include:

General AMEX forum thread for all AMEX offers (often people will post these there and not in the forum-specific thread) -- especially if you are new to AMEX offers, there is some past discussion of how they work, can the same offer be added to more than one card (generally, no) etc.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...sa-2023-a.html

Equivalent Chase forum thread (note that Chase offers are usually brand-specific and have different dynamics than AMEX offers even though the basic idea is the same, e.g. if you have the same offer on multiple Chase cards you can add it to all those where it appears, unlike AMEX)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...fic-cards.html

Q: Do I have to reach the threshold in a single transaction?

A: As a general rule, these spend $X get $Y offers as they apply to Marriott are across multiple transactions. Sometimes if you click/tap to see the T&C it will explicitly spell out "multiple purchases" or "in a single purchase" -- unless you see the latter, general experience is that multiple transactions within the offer period are ok as long as they add up to $X

Q: Do restaurant charges signed to the room/taxes/etc. count?

A: Yes. AMEX only cares about the total amount charged to the card at the vendor associated with the offer; it does not examine the breakdown of room charges vs. tax vs. dining/parking charges.

Q: I don't have a stay during the offer period Any other way to monetize the offer?

A: There are a couple ways.

1. Although the T&C may exclude gift cards, experience is generally that physical gift cards purchased at a front desk "look" just like room stays/charges and will get the credit. If you have questions about the usage of gift cards that you have already purchased or are considering purchasing, please use this separate thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

Note, it may be difficult to find a location that sells physical gift cards. You can try asking in the thread for a particular area but you will likely end up just having to call/visit convenient locations nearby. Once you have one in your possession, they are supposedly reloadable, so don't throw one away just because it's used up otherwise you'll have to find (or go back to) a location that sells them again.

1b. eGift cards may or may not count depending on whether they post as Marriott; recent data points for this would be useful

2. If you have an upcoming stay, just not before the offer expires, you can call the hotel and ask them to charge a deposit up front that will be credited against the stay when it eventually does occur.

Q: Do multiple Bonvoy offers stack?

A: as a general rule, a transaction will trigger all AMEX offers that it qualifies for and that you have added to your card. In the past when the Bonvoy Brilliant card had the annual $300 credit, this stacked with a spend $X get $Y offer etc.
Print Wikipost

Spend $300 get $60 back (and various similar offers) - Amex sync Marriott offer

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Simple question: will multiple charges totaling $300+ qualify, or must it be one charge of $300+? The T&Cs don't make it clear either way.
Old Sep 7, 2018, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Simple question: will multiple charges totaling $300+ qualify, or must it be one charge of $300+? The T&Cs don't make it clear either way.
Multiple - got the "congratulations - you have completed your offer!" email as soon as I checked in for my second stay with the incidentals hold putting me over $300.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:47 pm

my upcoming stays will be $295. what are my options to spend another $5 to get the credit at the property that I am staying? The property does not have points package or I can book at that higher rate. I also don't need breakfast as I am platinum member.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by flybie
my upcoming stays will be $295. what are my options to spend another $5 to get the credit at the property that I am staying? The property does not have points package or I can book at that higher rate. I also don't need breakfast as I am platinum member.
Buy a drink?

If you're pre-paying with credit card e-authorization, just tell them to charge $300 to your card. I've done that multiple times.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
I had an one-night stay at a Marriott in mid September. The total bill (including tax) was $229. Surprisingly, the $60 credit from the 60/300 amex offer posted.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:38 pm

It’s super annoying non-US properties are excluded.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
Will this work for e-giftcard online?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Bear in mind taxes and fees charged along with room rate qualify as well.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:28 pm

What is pre-payment authorization? Are you referring to the when you check in they authorized pending charges on the card? Or something else?

Yes my bill will be $295(tax included)
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is pre-payment authorization? Are you referring to the when you check in they authorized pending charges on the card? Or something else?

Yes my bill will be $295(tax included)
I used that for my upcoming stay at Sheraton Waikiki. My Amex offer expired on Sept 29, but I won't be at the hotel until end of Oct. I'm on a flexible rate so they don't charge me until I check out. I wrote the hotel and asked them to send me a credit card e-authorization so I could make a deposit on my room payment and they obliged. They sent me a link to an online form which I filled out and prepaid $300 towards my bill. If I cancel the reservation, the money will be returned to me. My card got charged $300 and I got the $60 credit immediately.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:20 pm

Thank you. That’s pretty clever. But with Marriott how do I find their contact email for each hotel to ask for that authorization? They only list phone number.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you. That’s pretty clever. But with Marriott how do I find their contact email for each hotel to ask for that authorization? They only list phone number.
Send them a fax! That's what Arne wants. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)
Old Oct 18, 2018, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by lasnowgirl
Great, thanks! I will try your suggestions! It's not much, but $60 isn't pocket change either
So, did it work?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Originally Posted by alextktan
So, did it work?
I got the pre-auth form after calling the hotel, but didn't send it in yet, but it should work.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I used that for my upcoming stay at Sheraton Waikiki. My Amex offer expired on Sept 29, but I won't be at the hotel until end of Oct. I'm on a flexible rate so they don't charge me until I check out. I wrote the hotel and asked them to send me a credit card e-authorization so I could make a deposit on my room payment and they obliged. They sent me a link to an online form which I filled out and prepaid $300 towards my bill. If I cancel the reservation, the money will be returned to me. My card got charged $300 and I got the $60 credit immediately.
I called n was told they only issue those for a corporate or a group booking

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.