Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

New program but old branding = pure confusion

Old Aug 27, 18, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,

Does anyone else here think the merging has also been something of a missed opportunity to roll out the new program by name (as well as nature)?

Quite apart from the fact it was strange enough to still keep the SPG app, even though it looks exactly like the Marriott one, I just received TWO pieces in the mail - BOTH using the old SPG branding!

I feel like now would have been a good time to promote the NEW program... the NEW branding...

Or is SPG just going to live alongside Marriott Rewards? Much as a love the SPG branding, it is truly bizarre thinking.

Old Aug 27, 18, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
The new program is coming 2019.

Step 1, link accounts
Step 2, combine accounts
Step 3, roll out new program

I speculate they did this to allow everyone to finish qualifying in legacy SPG or MR for the year while retaining the ability to combine as well. Next year, it goes to one program.
Old Aug 27, 18, 4:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket View Post
Does anyone else here think the merging has also been something of a missed opportunity to roll out the new program by name (as well as nature)?

Quite apart from the fact it was strange enough to still keep the SPG app, even though it looks exactly like the Marriott one, I just received TWO pieces in the mail - BOTH using the old SPG branding!

I feel like now would have been a good time to promote the NEW program... the NEW branding...

Or is SPG just going to live alongside Marriott Rewards? Much as a love the SPG branding, it is truly bizarre thinking.
It all has to do with earning status and lifetime nights through the end of the year.

James
Old Aug 27, 18, 4:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
The new program is coming 2019.

Step 1, link accounts
Step 2, combine accounts
Step 3, roll out new program

I speculate they did this to allow everyone to finish qualifying in legacy SPG or MR for the year while retaining the ability to combine as well. Next year, it goes to one program.
Was 8/18/18 not when 2 programs became 1?

Even if what you say is true, Id think could have at least come up with a name for the thing.

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
It all has to do with earning status and lifetime nights through the end of the year.

James
Then why not wait until 1/1/19 to do the rollout?

Old Aug 27, 18, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by GoPhils
Was 8/18/18 not when “2 programs became 1”?

Even if what you say is true, I’d think could have at least come up with a name for the thing.

It is when two programs got merged. But Marriott did say that 2019 would be when a new program is launched. 2 becomes 1 means you can combine and merge accounts, qualify on combined stays and book across the portfolio (theoretically)

Then why not wait until 1/1/19 to do the rollout?
Given the IT issues, can you imagine the cluster that would result around New Years and the holidays?
Flying for Fun likes this.

Last edited by Antarius; Aug 27, 18 at 5:12 pm Reason: quote issue
Old Aug 29, 18, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Marriott did such a good job with the acquisition of legacy Starwood (and, by extension, SPG). Then the spring came around and they did a half-... launch of the new, combined program. This will be a case study on how not to launch or merge loyalty marketing programs for years to come, to say nothing of a case study for IT system merger failure.
Old Aug 29, 18, 11:23 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
With the messup that is the merger it's a great move not to attach the name to it yet. Currently we are just saying how bad the merger is but that negativity isn't being attached to the new program name!

Search this Thread