Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

New program but old branding = pure confusion

New program but old branding = pure confusion

Old Aug 27, 18, 4:15 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New York, NY
Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Posts: 1,211
New program but old branding = pure confusion

Does anyone else here think the merging has also been something of a missed opportunity to roll out the new program by name (as well as nature)?

Quite apart from the fact it was strange enough to still keep the SPG app, even though it looks exactly like the Marriott one, I just received TWO pieces in the mail - BOTH using the old SPG branding!

I feel like now would have been a good time to promote the NEW program... the NEW branding...

Or is SPG just going to live alongside Marriott Rewards? Much as a love the SPG branding, it is truly bizarre thinking.




Johnny Rocket is offline  
Old Aug 27, 18, 4:20 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU + KSFO
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 5,240
The new program is coming 2019.

Step 1, link accounts
Step 2, combine accounts
Step 3, roll out new program

I speculate they did this to allow everyone to finish qualifying in legacy SPG or MR for the year while retaining the ability to combine as well. Next year, it goes to one program.
Antarius is online now  
Old Aug 27, 18, 4:20 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: British Columbia
Programs: AS MVPG75K, UA PP, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 3,047
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket View Post
Does anyone else here think the merging has also been something of a missed opportunity to roll out the new program by name (as well as nature)?

Quite apart from the fact it was strange enough to still keep the SPG app, even though it looks exactly like the Marriott one, I just received TWO pieces in the mail - BOTH using the old SPG branding!

I feel like now would have been a good time to promote the NEW program... the NEW branding...

Or is SPG just going to live alongside Marriott Rewards? Much as a love the SPG branding, it is truly bizarre thinking.
It all has to do with earning status and lifetime nights through the end of the year.

James
Flying for Fun is online now  
Old Aug 27, 18, 4:37 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: CLT
Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Posts: 1,063
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
The new program is coming 2019.

Step 1, link accounts
Step 2, combine accounts
Step 3, roll out new program

I speculate they did this to allow everyone to finish qualifying in legacy SPG or MR for the year while retaining the ability to combine as well. Next year, it goes to one program.
Was 8/18/18 not when 2 programs became 1?

Even if what you say is true, Id think could have at least come up with a name for the thing.


Originally Posted by Flying for Fun View Post
It all has to do with earning status and lifetime nights through the end of the year.

James
Then why not wait until 1/1/19 to do the rollout?

GoPhils is offline  
Old Aug 27, 18, 5:01 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU + KSFO
Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 5,240
Originally Posted by GoPhils
Was 8/18/18 not when “2 programs became 1”?

Even if what you say is true, I’d think could have at least come up with a name for the thing.


It is when two programs got merged. But Marriott did say that 2019 would be when a new program is launched. 2 becomes 1 means you can combine and merge accounts, qualify on combined stays and book across the portfolio (theoretically)

Originally Posted by GoPhils
Then why not wait until 1/1/19 to do the rollout?
Originally Posted by GoPhils
Given the IT issues, can you imagine the cluster that would result around New Years and the holidays?
Flying for Fun likes this.

Last edited by Antarius; Aug 27, 18 at 5:12 pm Reason: quote issue
Antarius is online now  
Old Aug 29, 18, 8:33 am
  #6  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Posts: 6,331
Marriott did such a good job with the acquisition of legacy Starwood (and, by extension, SPG). Then the spring came around and they did a half-... launch of the new, combined program. This will be a case study on how not to launch or merge loyalty marketing programs for years to come, to say nothing of a case study for IT system merger failure.
hockeyinsider is offline  
Old Aug 29, 18, 11:23 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Posts: 1,725
With the messup that is the merger it's a great move not to attach the name to it yet. Currently we are just saying how bad the merger is but that negativity isn't being attached to the new program name!
UKTraveller4Fun is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread