Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Am I supposed to receive a free night certificate? (August renewal SPG credit card)

Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
SPG AMEX Ts and Cs:

The Free Night Award will be automatically deposited into your loyalty member account within 8-12 weeks after your Card Account anniversary date in the form of an e-certificate. You will receive an email from SPG to the email address listed on your loyalty member account confirming that the Free Night Award e-certificate has been deposited into your loyalty member account. The email will also provide instructions on how to redeem your Free Night Award e-certificate. To redeem the Free Night Award e-certificate, you must log into your loyalty member account and apply the e-certificate during booking. The Free Night Award e-certificate will expire after 1 year from issuance. E-certificates may not be transferred, extended beyond the expiration date, or re-credited for points.
Print Wikipost

Am I supposed to receive a free night certificate? (August renewal SPG credit card)

Old Dec 1, 2018, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Happy
Your post prompted me to check our accounts (AFs posted on 10/24 and 26 respectively). So far rien.
It’s been documented that the US SPG Amex free night posts on the 2nd of the month, so check again tomorrow.

j2simpso’s info would have been more relevant in the Cdn Amex thread.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...press-144.html
Old Dec 2, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by margarita girl

It’s been documented that the US SPG Amex free night posts on the 2nd of the month, so check again tomorrow.

j2simpso’s info would have been more relevant in the Cdn Amex thread.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...press-144.html
Thanks for bringing up the timeline on US cards.

The 2nd of the month is right on the dot - the certs show up today in our accounts.

Now let's see if the Chase targeted 50K/one purchase Upgrade Offer husband got on his business card (the old version) would go thru without an error or we have to call. Seems the targeted offer was only for personal card but Marriott is sending it to business card owners as well. We will see how it goes when we go thru it on Monday. This would give us the 3rd 35K FN cert on existing cards if it works.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
I inquired to AmEx CS this morning regarding this certificate. My annual fee hit November 9. I was told that it will take 8-12 weeks to receive the certificate, and that it would be an e-certificate that arrived by email, not deposited into my account.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by sinfonia
I inquired to AmEx CS this morning regarding this certificate. My annual fee hit November 9. I was told that it will take 8-12 weeks to receive the certificate, and that it would be an e-certificate that arrived by email, not deposited into my account.
The general consensus is that the free night certificate will appear automatically in your SPMarriott account 2 calendar months after your annual fee posts (on the 2nd day of that month). In my case my annual fee posted on October 22th and I received my free night 2 calendar months later, on December 1st (Canadian SPMarriott AmEx users appear to be receiving it on the first). Hence, I would expect your free night certificate to post on January 2nd, 2019.

As for the e-certificate that should just automatically appear in whatever SPMarriott account you entered in when signing up for the card. If you merged your SPG and Marriott accounts to create an SPMarriott account, don't worry it will still appear in your SPMarriott account (I created my SPMarriott account after in August and the cert came in on Dec 1 without taking any action on my end). Overall, the perk is pretty sweet: I'm staying at the AC Hotel Time Square on NYE (rate was $1000 USD when I was booking in July) which just so happens to cost 35,000 points so I'm getting pretty good value of the AF.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by j2simpso
I received my free night 2 calendar months later, on December 1st (Canadian SPMarriott AmEx users appear to be receiving it on the first).
Not according to the few data points we have collected in the Cdn thread. Seems much more random than in the US. So far:

Nov 15
Nov 15-19
Nov 27
Nov 30
Dec 1 (yours)
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:56 pm

The general consensus is that the free night certificate will appear automatically in your SPMarriott account 2 calendar months after your annual fee posts (on the 2nd day of that month). In my case my annual fee posted on October 22th and I received my free night 2 calendar months later, on December 1st (Canadian SPMarriott AmEx users appear to be receiving it on the first). Hence, I would expect your free night certificate to post on January 2nd, 2019.

As for the e-certificate that should just automatically appear in whatever SPMarriott account you entered in when signing up for the card. If you merged your SPG and Marriott accounts to create an SPMarriott account, don't worry it will still appear in your SPMarriott account (I created my SPMarriott account after in August and the cert came in on Dec 1 without taking any action on my end). Overall, the perk is pretty sweet: I'm staying at the AC Hotel Time Square on NYE (rate was $1000 USD when I was booking in July) which just so happens to cost 35,000 points so I'm getting pretty good value of the AF.

Safe Travels,

James
Wow this is TERRIBLE, that's going to be after the 30-day period for AMEX cards where I get my annual fee refund. Is there anyway to get the free cert and get the annual fee refund? Got played by AMEX, had I know they would pull this ........, I would have cancelled and freed up a 5th card slot instead of waiting for this nonsense.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Wow this is TERRIBLE, that's going to be after the 30-day period for AMEX cards where I get my annual fee refund. Is there anyway to get the free cert and get the annual fee refund? Got played by AMEX, had I know they would pull this ........, I would have cancelled and freed up a 5th card slot instead of waiting for this nonsense.
No. And this is by design.

Dont you realize that is precisely AMEX does not want you to cancel the card, not paying AF but still get to keep the eCert?

It has been explained in the update of the T&Cs when the benefit changes were announced way back before August 1st - 8 to 10 weeks after anniversary date to receive the FN cert. Been enough DPs since then and the first lot of FN certs appeared on Oct 2nd - precisely the 2 months after the eligible cut off anniversary date.

To be fair, AMEX has not lied, nor played you - as it openly stated in the notice on benefit changes.
Chalk this up a lesson learned when one is too lazy to read the fine print.

You either pay the AF, consider buying a 35K FN with $95 or forget about the FN and cancel the card, thus save your $95 payment. It is still time to cancel your card without paying, as long as you dont want the 35K FN cert.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 20, 2018 at 7:00 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
No. And this is by design. Dont you realize that is precisely AMEX does not let you cancel the card. not paying AF but still get to keep the eCert?
Next thing you know the airport authorities won't let me purchase a refundable ticket, use the lounge and purchase duty free then cancel the ticket for a full refund...oh wait:

margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Next thing you know the airport authorities won't let me purchase a refundable ticket, use the lounge and purchase duty free then cancel the ticket for a full refund...oh wait:

They SHOULD have this at HKG so the chaos and mess involved the fans of K-Pop would not happened.

I wish HKG laws would have the same provision like Singapore's.

Those fans would be prosecuted in US for sure.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...orce-flight-be

https://www.upi.com/K-Pop-fans-delay...7051545115802/

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...rport-security
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:47 am

Question on free night certificate

I have 2 SPG cards (personal and business). I was supposed to received 2 hotel certificate but I only received one in my account.

My understanding is I should received 1 certificate per card but when I call, customer service told me that I only received 1 night certificate because both card in my name. Is that correct? I don't think she is correct because ALL of the questions that I asked her, she put me on hold and asked for a time to do her research.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by travelbug2225
I have 2 SPG cards (personal and business). I was supposed to received 2 hotel certificate but I only received one in my account.

My understanding is I should received 1 certificate per card but when I call, customer service told me that I only received 1 night certificate because both card in my name. Is that correct? I don't think she is correct because ALL of the questions that I asked her, she put me on hold and asked for a time to do her research.
She is wrong
HUCA
You should receive 1 per card.
I have 3 cards and I have received 3 in the past.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
I thought that it was announced last year that you would only get one award night no matter how many cards you had. New "perk" under the combined program. I could be wrong about that, but it does sound vaguely familiar.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by njcommodore
I thought that it was announced last year that you would only get one award night no matter how many cards you had. New "perk" under the combined program. I could be wrong about that, but it does sound vaguely familiar.
I do believe you're thinking of the 15 Elite Nights Credit that comes with carrying a Marriott Bonvoy branded card and is capped at 15 Nights regardless of how many cards one has.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Select
I now have an Amex free night certificate sitting in my account under Earned Awards, but...you can't click on it and there's no number associated with it. It just says "Unused Certificates (1) Amex FNA up to 35k points" with an expiration date...so how does one actually redeem this?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:21 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by wordsmith
I now have an Amex free night certificate sitting in my account under Earned Awards, but...you can't click on it and there's no number associated with it. It just says "Unused Certificates (1) Amex FNA up to 35k points" with an expiration date...so how does one actually redeem this?
Just go through the process of making a points booking for any eligible property and it will pop up automatically as part of the payment process.

This is one of the few areas where Marriott IT actually works really well and is a clear improvement on SPG. You can also automatically use the certificate for one night and pay for the rest in points (or even do a booking where you select to pay some nights in points and some nights in cash, with one of the points nights automatically replaced by the cert) and it’s all quite straightforward, unlike in SPG where if you wanted to use a free night cert you had to call and make a separate one-night booking.
margarita girl and wordsmith like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.