Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Am I supposed to receive a free night certificate? (August renewal SPG credit card)

Am I supposed to receive a free night certificate? (August renewal SPG credit card)

Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 18, 19, 7:45 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Wiki Link
SPG AMEX Ts and Cs:

The Free Night Award will be automatically deposited into your loyalty member account within 8-12 weeks after your Card Account anniversary date in the form of an e-certificate. You will receive an email from SPG to the email address listed on your loyalty member account confirming that the Free Night Award e-certificate has been deposited into your loyalty member account. The email will also provide instructions on how to redeem your Free Night Award e-certificate. To redeem the Free Night Award e-certificate, you must log into your loyalty member account and apply the e-certificate during booking. The Free Night Award e-certificate will expire after 1 year from issuance. E-certificates may not be transferred, extended beyond the expiration date, or re-credited for points.
Print Wikipost

Old May 28, 19, 4:02 pm

Anniversary date last Aug 11, still not posted - do I win?
Old May 28, 19, 4:40 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Do a screen shot if that free night

CYA. I am disputing a charge now..
Old May 29, 19, 10:40 am

OK, escalated to a supervisor who checked with the new "Marriottt AMEX Liason"

Although my anniversary date was August 11 on my SPG Personal Amex, I'm not entitled to a free night because it hadn't been converted to a Bonvoy Amex yet.

Is this BS, or have others heard the same?
Old May 29, 19, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yoketone View Post

Although my anniversary date was August 11 on my SPG Personal Amex, I'm not entitled to a free night because it hadn't been converted to a Bonvoy Amex yet.

What does this mean? I'm still using my purple SPG Amex card (even though on the website it shows the new Bonbon card) and I got my free night in Nov. Sounds like someone is trying to feed you BS!
Old May 29, 19, 3:51 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too

That is ludicrous, though not much more ludicrous than many of the other things made up by Marriott's abysmal call center these days. I also still have a purple card, but like everyone else, my Amex.com account shows that is is now a Bonvoy Amex since there is no such thing as an SPG Amex any more.

If you can't get any resolution with the call center, you could try working with the Flyertalk Lurkers, who are still as helpful as they've ever been, fortunately.

That said, as was discussed earlier in this thread, did your SPG Amex annual fee bill on August 11? There is some delay between the actual account opening anniversary date and the day the annual fee is billed, and if your actual anniversary is July 31 or earlier I believe you would not have been entitled to a free night until your anniversary this year. There were some mixed data points about how this played out for people who were on the cusp last year. Amex (which still has mostly competent customer service, unlike Marriott) should be able to tell you what your actual account anniversary is.
Old May 30, 19, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff View Post
...That said, as was discussed earlier in this thread, did your SPG Amex annual fee bill on August 11? There is some delay between the actual account opening anniversary date and the day the annual fee is billed, and if your actual anniversary is July 31 or earlier I believe you would not have been entitled to a free night until your anniversary this year. There were some mixed data points about how this played out for people who were on the cusp last year. Amex (which still has mostly competent customer service, unlike Marriott) should be able to tell you what your actual account anniversary is.
That in fact, is the reason - My annual fee bills in early June, even though the account anniversary shows in Aug. Thanks bgriff!

(still no reason for the BS cited above)
Old May 30, 19, 12:37 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

That in fact, is the reason - My annual fee bills in early June, even though the account anniversary shows in Aug. Thanks bgriff!

(still no reason for the BS cited above)
Hm, that particular combo sounds odd ... for most people it was something like, my account anniversary (i.e. the day I opened the card) was July 29 while the annual fee bills August 5. I didn't hear of anyone having a combo that far apart, and I believe generally the annual fee billed after (within a month after) the account anniversary.

Where are you seeing account anniversary? AFAIK there's no easy way to see that without asking Amex, unless you signed up very recently and have records. If your annual fee bills in early June most likely your account anniversary is in early June or late May. But in any case, you wouldn't have gotten a free night yet, but should see within a couple of months after your annual fee comes through this year. IIRC for most people it showed up in their Marriott account early in the month about 2 months later.
Old May 30, 19, 2:40 pm

Smile

Originally Posted by bgriff View Post
Hm, that particular combo sounds odd ... for most people it was something like, my account anniversary (i.e. the day I opened the card) was July 29 while the annual fee bills August 5. I didn't hear of anyone having a combo that far apart, and I believe generally the annual fee billed after (within a month after) the account anniversary.

Where are you seeing account anniversary? AFAIK there's no easy way to see that without asking Amex, unless you signed up very recently and have records. If your annual fee bills in early June most likely your account anniversary is in early June or late May. But in any case, you wouldn't have gotten a free night yet, but should see within a couple of months after your annual fee comes through this year. IIRC for most people it showed up in their Marriott account early in the month about 2 months later.
I did ask an Amex rep what my anniv. date was. I 'm not sure, perhaps what happened is that I picked up a 2nd personal SPG Amex card years ago without cancelling the first, and later did cancel the first...and it may have kept the original account's anniversary date. Amex told me it was a "Product change" that reset the payment date
Old Jun 3, 19, 9:43 am

I closed my Amex SPG account some time ago (2017 I believe) but then a free night showed up in my Marriott account. I called Amex to make sure I donít have an account still open and they confirmed the only ones I have are those I expected (none of them Marriott related). Has this happened to anyone else? Happy to take a free night but worried thereís some annual fee accruing somewhere that Iíve lost track of.
Old Jun 3, 19, 9:55 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by vulches View Post
I closed my Amex SPG account some time ago (2017 I believe) but then a free night showed up in my Marriott account. I called Amex to make sure I donít have an account still open and they confirmed the only ones I have are those I expected (none of them Marriott related). Has this happened to anyone else? Happy to take a free night but worried thereís some annual fee accruing somewhere that Iíve lost track of.
The other most likely source of free nights is if you have a Chase Marriott card open. If both Amex and Chase say you don't, then may be a clerical error in your favor. It's also possible you received a free night directly from Marriott for some reason or another, possibly including as a 75-night choice benefit, or as some sort of promotion or freebie (Marriott sent a bunch of elite members free $30-50 gift cards out of the blue recently, I suppose it's also possible they're sending out free nights to some people?).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: