Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Am I supposed to receive a free night certificate? (August renewal SPG credit card)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
SPG AMEX Ts and Cs:

The Free Night Award will be automatically deposited into your loyalty member account within 8-12 weeks after your Card Account anniversary date in the form of an e-certificate. You will receive an email from SPG to the email address listed on your loyalty member account confirming that the Free Night Award e-certificate has been deposited into your loyalty member account. The email will also provide instructions on how to redeem your Free Night Award e-certificate. To redeem the Free Night Award e-certificate, you must log into your loyalty member account and apply the e-certificate during booking. The Free Night Award e-certificate will expire after 1 year from issuance. E-certificates may not be transferred, extended beyond the expiration date, or re-credited for points.
Print Wikipost

Am I supposed to receive a free night certificate? (August renewal SPG credit card)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:54 pm

Mine posted as well... unfortunately, the process seems more convoluted than it should be for redeeming at a LSPG property - I could do without waiting on hold for 20+ minutes to take care of this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:25 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Is the cert different than Chase or old Marriott megabonus cert? I have been told twice on the phone that my megabonus cert could not be used at SPG properties despite the twitter team telling me it is possible. It is expiring at the end of Oct so it's been very frustrating.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:36 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Can the free night certificate be transferred to other user (or used to book for someone else)? Or is it tied to primary account holder?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 2:10 pm

Booked using a free night certificate. Cancelled the reservation timely.

It has now been 10 days and the cert has not been put back in the account and the hold times are extraordinary. Is this a known problem? Any magic words to say to the customer service people to make them understand the problem and get the cert back?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
My annual fee hit back in September, and my cert finally posted today, Nov 2. Gary at VftW said his also posted today. The prior reports of Amex certs posting were all on Oct 2, so it does look like a once-a-month batch job.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:14 am

No luck for me here Anniversary date was on 22 July. I change statement date to Aug 3. All chat agents said free night should post. After calling today AMEX agent said it will only post after next renewal. Kinda sucks to miss out by just 8 days. Any other suggestions?

Originally Posted by JBD
Thank you so much for posting SP03! I'd reconciled myself to having to wait another year to receive the cert, but just checked my account after reading your good news. And I got the cert today too!

If the following is of use to anyone else: regarding the 5 night stay credit that I reported above, (which led me to believe I was receiving the old AMEX benefit in lieu of the new FN), those 5 nights were subsequently deleted. (I asked about this matter on another thread FWIW.)

In summary:
  • Was told by AMEX rep that my Anniversary Date was in July
  • My Annual Fee posted on August 20
  • Received Free Night Certificate on October 2 (I'm assuming it posted today based on SP03's post, and the fact the cert's expiration date is October 2, 2019)
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by lkar
Booked using a free night certificate. Cancelled the reservation timely.

It has now been 10 days and the cert has not been put back in the account and the hold times are extraordinary. Is this a known problem? Any magic words to say to the customer service people to make them understand the problem and get the cert back?
What a PITA. So, we called and the guy said he could see the problem and that he would put in a request for the cert to be redeposited. Said give it two days. It has been two weeks. So, another 20 minute hold in our future. And what are the odds that we have to explain the entire thing all over again?

Last edited by lkar; Nov 14, 2018 at 11:27 am
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:14 pm

Hey Everyone,

I've got a stay booked at the AC Hotel near Times Square for NYE this year to take in the festivities (one of my bucket list items). When I made the booking I had the agent hold the reservation for me whilst I wait for the AmEx SPG certificate to come in. At the end of August I decided to merge my SPG and MR accounts into one account (unsure if that was a wise decision but I made it never the less).

My AF for SPG card posted on October 24th (I'm guessing anniversary date would be September 24th?) and I have been checking the Marriott Activity site almost religiously everyday since then to see when the certificate posts as I have a NYE stay at a AC Hotel in Manhattan that needs to be honoured! Interestingly I earned 0 MR points for that statement. Does the AF earn points?

Any ideas when the certificate will post? Should I call AmEx? When I signed up for the card last year, I provided them with my then SPG account number but I'm guessing through the magic of Marriott's IT systems, when I merged the accounts it would automatically push the certificate to my merged account? Worst case I can use the 35,000 points to confirm the reservation since I've got more than that in my account (and the $1000 USD/night is not something I plan on paying out of pocket).

Safe Travels,

James
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:57 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Hey Everyone,

I've got a stay booked at the AC Hotel near Times Square for NYE this year to take in the festivities (one of my bucket list items). When I made the booking I had the agent hold the reservation for me whilst I wait for the AmEx SPG certificate to come in. At the end of August I decided to merge my SPG and MR accounts into one account (unsure if that was a wise decision but I made it never the less).

My AF for SPG card posted on October 24th (I'm guessing anniversary date would be September 24th?) and I have been checking the Marriott Activity site almost religiously everyday since then to see when the certificate posts as I have a NYE stay at a AC Hotel in Manhattan that needs to be honoured! Interestingly I earned 0 MR points for that statement. Does the AF earn points?

Any ideas when the certificate will post? Should I call AmEx? When I signed up for the card last year, I provided them with my then SPG account number but I'm guessing through the magic of Marriott's IT systems, when I merged the accounts it would automatically push the certificate to my merged account? Worst case I can use the 35,000 points to confirm the reservation since I've got more than that in my account (and the $1000 USD/night is not something I plan on paying out of pocket).

Safe Travels,

James
The experience has been that the free night posts on the 2nd of the month so I’d bet yours will post on Dec 2nd. If it doesn’t though you can always just use 35k points instead of paying cash.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My card's AF also posted on Oct 24. So far the FN cert remains a no show but I do suspect it would show up on Dec 2nd. It does indeed seem a monthly batch processing for cards which anniversary dates fell in the 2 months prior. So if your anniversary date is in the first week of the month, your wait would be much longer than those dates in the 4th week of the month.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 1, 2018 at 6:11 pm
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:52 am

I am thinking of cancelling the card as my AF has posted. Do I have to leave the card open to get the FN since the FN cert posts few weeks after AF posts? SPG was my primary card and even though I was not traveling that much I used to get gold status every year because of spending. Now i am planning to switch the loyalty to Hyatt.

Last edited by spidy1; Nov 30, 2018 at 7:04 am
Old Nov 30, 2018, 8:28 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
My guess is that once you cancel your card, the CC company will not pay Marriott to give you a free night cert. They have no reason to do so as I'm assuming you aren't paying the annual fee.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by Aabey D'mello
No luck for me here Anniversary date was on 22 July. I change statement date to Aug 3. All chat agents said free night should post. After calling today AMEX agent said it will only post after next renewal. Kinda sucks to miss out by just 8 days. Any other suggestions?
I was in a similar position, I cancelled the card and got a prorated reimbursement of the AF.

Then I upgraded both the Marriott VIsa and Hilton Amex cards for bonus points, a sort of reallocation of the AF, and the bonus points will give me some free nites, and future use of the cards will earn free nites as well.

Something of a solution for a crappy situation, but spg amex gave me no love. They wouldn't waive the first year's fee and my anniversary date was right around yours.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:22 pm

Just checked my SPMarriott account and noticed that the AmEx certificate has been issued. My AF was deducted around Oct 20th and I'm a Canadian AmEX SPG cardholder. Receiving it now is perfect since I can now apply it against the $1,000 USD/night AC Hotel res I have on Times Square for NYE.

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 1, 2018, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Just checked my SPMarriott account and noticed that the AmEx certificate has been issued. My AF was deducted around Oct 20th and I'm a Canadian AmEX SPG cardholder. Receiving it now is perfect since I can now apply it against the $1,000 USD/night AC Hotel res I have on Times Square for NYE.

Safe Travels,

James
Your post prompted me to check our accounts (AFs posted on 10/24 and 26 respectively). So far rien.

Nor the 2 stays, total 10 nights, at 5 nights each at 4P Brisbane (checked out on 11/13) and Sheraton on the Park Sydney (checked out on 11/18) have posted. Time to file missing stay credits as enough time has passed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.