FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Who is going to tell Amex to change number on SPG card? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1927396-who-going-tell-amex-change-number-spg-card.html)

LPCJr Aug 26, 18 3:41 pm

Who is going to tell Amex to change number on SPG card?

So I have an Amex SPG card. When I combined my accounts, I chose to keep my legacy MR number, not the new SPG number I was assigned. When I look at my Amex SPG account today, it still shows my legacy SPG number. I'm assuming that Amex will be informed of my new SPG number. But, since I chose not to keep that profile, and that number is now nonexistent, who will inform Amex that they need to link my card to my legacy MR number? Has anyone gotten any information about this? My billing cycle closes in 4 days and I'm not sure that my points will show up (and in the past, they showed up in my SPG account very quickly).

RogerD408 Aug 26, 18 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by LPCJr (Post 30132310)
So I have an Amex SPG card. When I combined my accounts, I chose to keep my legacy MR number, not the new SPG number I was assigned. When I look at my Amex SPG account today, it still shows my legacy SPG number. I'm assuming that Amex will be informed of my new SPG number. But, since I chose not to keep that profile, and that number is now nonexistent, who will inform Amex that they need to link my card to my legacy MR number? Has anyone gotten any information about this? My billing cycle closes in 4 days and I'm not sure that my points will show up (and in the past, they showed up in my SPG account very quickly).

Right now the ball is in MPG's court. They will receive the points under your old SPG number that will lead to your old MR number. At some point they will send a batch update to AMEX with the proper numbers or they will inform us to initiate the change. Does the AMEX profile allow you to enter a new number? If so, you might want to go ahead and see if it works.

466SHH Aug 26, 18 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 30132329)
Right now the ball is in MPG's court. They will receive the points under your old SPG number that will lead to your old MR number. At some point they will send a batch update to AMEX with the proper numbers or they will inform us to initiate the change. Does the AMEX profile allow you to enter a new number? If so, you might want to go ahead and see if it works.

My statement closed August 8. I expected the points to be delayed per a prior email from AX. They usually post around the 10th or 11th, and they did not this time.

I combined my accounts on August 23 and elected to keep the Marriott number. Points from my SPG AX posted without issue to the Marriott account on August 25. Note that I did NOTHING except combine the accounts, which had been previously linked.

Hope this helps.

IslesFan Aug 26, 18 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by 466SHH (Post 30132395)
My statement closed August 8. I expected the points to be delayed per a prior email from AX. They usually post around the 10th or 11th, and they did not this time.

I combined my accounts on August 23 and elected to keep the Marriott number. Points from my SPG AX posted without issue to the Marriott account on August 25. Note that I did NOTHING except combine the accounts, which had been previously linked.

Hope this helps.

Another data point. I got the SPG Amex eariler this month to take advantage of the 75k points promo. I gave them my then 11 digit SPG number. Logging in to americanexpress.com, it showed my "Loyalty number" as unavailable. Now since I combined my Marriott and SPG accounts, it has my Marriott number listed. A statement hasn't cut yet, but I'm not worried.