Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Experience with stays posting after Aug 18th merge date

Old Aug 26, 18, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc

I understand there is some kind of data retrieval problem with past stays, before the August 18th data merge posting. Seems especially prevalent if it was an SPG stay using your old SPG number before Aug 18th.

But why the heck aren’t stays after the August 18th merge posting? Surely the system was setup before hand to do the most basic task of posting a Marriott branded hotel stay to your Marriott account using your Marriott legacy number? The fact that this “simple” most basic part of their data retrieval system is broken for their own Marriott branded hotels speaks volumes to how poorly implemented, managed and tested this debacle has been.

Last edited by Bigshaker; Aug 26, 18 at 10:08 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 26, 18, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Bigshaker View Post
I understand there is some kind of data retrieval problem with past stays, before the August 18th data merge posting. Seems especially prevalent if it was an SPG stay using your old SPG number before Aug 18th.

But why the heck arenít stays after the August 18th merge posting? Surely the system was setup before hand to do the most basic task of posting a Marriott branded hotel stay to your Marriott account using your Marriott legacy number? The fact that this ďsimpleĒ most basic part of their data retrieval system is broken for their own Marriott branded hotels speaks volumes to how poorly implemented, managed and tested this debacle has been.
But we don't know if it is actually broken or blocked. With all the work they have to do to square up lifetime and history activity, I can see them suspend new transactions coming in so they can track the numbers easier and not have to deal with moving targets with accounts changing daily. It's just a guess, but would be a tactic I would use. I expect there will be a flood of transactions when they open everything up. If it's not needed right now for upcoming stays, just keep track of what you've done and expect to get posted and I bet it will happen.
TerryK, kennycrudup and boss315 like this.
Old Aug 26, 18, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
But we don't know if it is actually broken or blocked. With all the work they have to do to square up lifetime and history activity, I can see them suspend new transactions coming in so they can track the numbers easier and not have to deal with moving targets with accounts changing daily. It's just a guess, but would be a tactic I would use. I expect there will be a flood of transactions when they open everything up. If it's not needed right now for upcoming stays, just keep track of what you've done and expect to get posted and I bet it will happen.
Good point! This would then go back to Marriottís head in the sand communication attitude, just tell us whatís going on if itís as simple as that, we are currently blocking all stays from posting since August 18 until we have resolved our issues with pre Aug 18 stays being retrieve and posted. Give us the information so we can make some sense of it.
Old Aug 26, 18, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

Good point! This would then go back to Marriottís head in the sand communication attitude, just tell us whatís going on if itís as simple as that, we are currently blocking all stays from posting since August 18 until we have resolved our issues with pre Aug 18 stays being retrieve and posted. Give us the information so we can make some sense of it.
Yes, full disclosure would be nice, but given their tactic of NOT telling us what is happening we are left to guesses. Some are even speculating the travel bloggers are being silenced. I guess their process (failure) is proprietary and we don't deserve to know. I appreciate the magnitude of the merger, but it needs to include customer communications.
DrMilano likes this.
Old Aug 26, 18, 11:02 am

FWIW I heard the way to get Marriott's Attention to issues is to file a regulatory complaint or BBB complaint. Those cost them money and are tracked and thus they respond....

YMMV
Dudemon and DrMilano like this.
Old Aug 26, 18, 11:47 am

But why the heck arenít stays after the August 18th merge posting? Surely the system was setup before hand to do the most basic task of posting a Marriott branded hotel stay to your Marriott account using your Marriott legacy number? The fact that this ďsimpleĒ most basic part of their data retrieval system is broken for their own Marriott branded hotels speaks volumes to how poorly implemented, managed and tested this debacle has been.
This showed up in my account today:

Not sure if it means the process is broken and needs repair or if everything else is so screwed up they don't want to risk making things worse.

I am starting to get the impression that Marriott sees their relationship with their customers as an us versus them adversarial relationship which is why they don't tell us anything.
Old Aug 26, 18, 12:02 pm

Has anyone used the app to check out and gotten the final bill emailed to you? I have had 2 stays post Aug 18 and both times used the app to check out and had the option to email the bill to me checked, and never received it, so at this point, I don't have any record of the stays.
Old Aug 26, 18, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott/SPG Amb, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by blackhat_3_6 View Post
I am starting to get the impression that Marriott sees their relationship with their customers as an us versus them adversarial relationship which is why they don't tell us anything.
I think itís more likely that theyíre too busy resolving issues to create a broad communications strategy around these issues. Marriott has earned a lot of good will in my opinion. I donít think this is malice or hostility, just people who have good intent facing a problem more complex than they expected.

Originally Posted by forecheck View Post
Has anyone used the app to check out and gotten the final bill emailed to you? I have had 2 stays post Aug 18 and both times used the app to check out and had the option to email the bill to me checked, and never received it, so at this point, I don't have any record of the stays.
Yes, folio emails still seem to be working great. But even if you donít have the final bill, you should still have the initial confirmation email, right? You should keep a list of stays you expect to post so you can verify none are missing once they start to come back.
Old Aug 26, 18, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
I just logged into my Marriott account, and I've had 2 out of 3 stays post. One cash stay from before Aug 18, and one cash stay from after Aug 18. My one-night points stay from Aug 17-18 has not posted. The points and night credit for the 2 stays also posted.

-mvitale
Old Aug 26, 18, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by getagb View Post

Yes, folio emails still seem to be working great. But even if you donít have the final bill, you should still have the initial confirmation email, right? You should keep a list of stays you expect to post so you can verify none are missing once they start to come back.
Yeah, I do have all the reservation numbers from the confirmation numbers, so if needed, hopefully they can find everything from that.
Old Aug 26, 18, 1:26 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
But why the heck arenít stays after the August 18th merge posting?
incompetence. Plain and simple at this point.
zymm likes this.
Old Aug 26, 18, 3:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I'm assuming they are trying to get everything pre-8/18 in place before dealing with the new ones. That being said, I had a pre 8/18 MR stay post last night and a pre 8/18 SPG stay reappear last night.

On the MR post, my bonus was based on the new rate for Plat Premiers rather than the old Plat rate so the delayed posting was a couple of hundred points in my favor (at least for now ...)
Old Aug 26, 18, 3:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors; Marriott Rewards
See my post about checking the math. I got screwed on these late-week pre-August 18 stays.

If there are winners and losers that particular week, that's messed up.
Old Aug 26, 18, 5:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by The Tradition View Post
See my post about checking the math. I got screwed on these late-week pre-August 18 stays.

If there are winners and losers that particular week, that's messed up.
I've been a legacy Plat Premier for many years so I don't remember transitioning from one level to another.

That being said, its a matter of a few hundred points and I suspect people have always had a delay in benefits as you transition from one tier to another. For example, if I hit XX miles when I connect at city X, they don't automatically recognize that since it hasn't credit yet. Over the years, it all works out so I wouldn't stress that Ö and it might even correct.

I suspect Marriott will notice they have a drop off in upcoming reservations and give a decent incentive bonus for the fall Ö but we'll see.

And .. welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Aug 27, 18, 6:35 am

Programs: WN A-list Pref., Marriott PP, National EX, UA Gold
My Marriott stay from 8/17 still has not posted. Called local hotel about missing points. They put it into the system again and said to wait 7 biz days. We will see if that actually happens this time.

Search this Thread