Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Remind me why I should stay at Ritz-Carlton now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remind me why I should stay at Ritz-Carlton now?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Dav77

i have recent example on Ritz Abu Dhabi canal

Members rate Club room 3 nights April euro 1.125

FHR rate same room/dates euro 1.250

wirh FHR you have 100$ credit. So it compensates difference

more or less is same rate (both refundable until day before)

but i’ve to consider also:

-Marriott double points promo (I don’t know if with FHR I can get also double points as current promo) if booked directly

-booking directly with Marriott using Jewel I can get also 10% cash rebate.

-at the moment I can’t find rate for payment in advance on Marriott. Maybe I will find it in some days and it will be 15/20% cheaper ?

would be interesting also to understand if more chance to be upgraded at Club Suite (next level after club room) as Plat Member booking directly or be upgraded by FHR ...
If you add your Frequent Guest number Amex FHR (and I presume others) will push it on to the property. FHR and Virtuoso rates are full qualifying rates and also include all normal status benefits and promo participation. It can be very hard to apply SNA's to Amex FHR bookings though/
itsaboutthejourney and Dav77 like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
If you add your Frequent Guest number Amex FHR (and I presume others) will push it on to the property. FHR and Virtuoso rates are full qualifying rates and also include all normal status benefits and promo participation. It can be very hard to apply SNA's to Amex FHR bookings though/
thanks

what about probability to get upgraded from club room to club suite thanks to Marriott Plat membership at Ritz properties ?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
€1250 through FHR ... and €1125 direct
€125 difference equal to $140
$100 credit and breakfast?

Honestly I still struggle to understand how come FHR and Virtuoso rate can provide better benefit than elite as the hotel surely pay comission to FHR and Virtuoso. Increasing their cost compare to direct booking.

Dav77 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by kaizen7
Honestly I still struggle to understand how come FHR and Virtuoso rate can provide better benefit than elite as the hotel surely pay comission to FHR and Virtuoso. Increasing their cost compare to direct booking.
It probably isn't an either-or proposition though. Many of the customers (big $$$ spenders) who book these properties aren't ever going to consider direct booking. They don't go fire up Orbitz or whatever. They work through travel agents and concierge services, of which Virtuoso and FHR are the chief examples. So it's about what property they pick (at their price point), not necessarily the booking channel. The property is trying to win the customer from another property, not from another channel. There may, in fact, be little overlap in the customers across channels. Not to mention the huge volume they push (again, of this particular customer type).
kaizen7 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by kaizen7
€1250 through FHR ... and €1125 direct
€125 difference equal to $140
$100 credit and breakfast?

i’m agree with you. I’m not a fan of amex travel (or FHR / HC), I find it quite useless, even considering how bad is the website. I’ve used FHR just 2 times in my life.

i think FHR could work only if used at indipendent properties or hotels chains like Mandarin oriental etc, where 95% of guests probably don’t join any loyalty program

even if, booking directly probably you can get same (or better) benefits than at FHR

only stays i sometimes book by Amex travel (std one, not FHR) is when there is 100€ cashback on 300€
kaizen7 likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fdem

American Express platinum travel program where RC are listed offer continental breakfast,so why can’t they at least offer it to Bonvoy elite members, get not giving loungeaccess as their lounges offer an almost all inclusive experience which I find quite tacky but surely a complimentary breakfast would not hurt their bottom line. I was looking at staying on a paid rate at 2 properties in SE Asia but decided to go with LC and St Regis option as would at least be assured of some benefits. Disappointing to hear st Regis Singapore dropped the free drinks and decide to limit to one drink though, even though this is usually enough for us as we are not big drinkers
Maybe because they are very different customer bases...
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:09 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
As an intelligent customer when you choose to book through Virtuoso or AMEX FHR because you save $200 or so on a booking, you are potentially costing the hotel thousands of dollars on an expensive stay - hence I was surprised that Marriott figures such a low proportion of their customers are clever enough to realise when the Bonvoy loyalty scheme rips them off vs. simple travel agents.

Every time any of us Marriott loyalists book via another channel to get normal benefits we cancel out 10-20 people who Marriott has successfully screwed over by punishing Bonvoy elites for their loyalty. I consider it a sort of public service.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Dav77

i’m agree with you. I’m not a fan of amex travel (or FHR / HC), I find it quite useless, even considering how bad is the website. I’ve used FHR just 2 times in my life.

i think FHR could work only if used at indipendent properties or hotels chains like Mandarin oriental etc, where 95% of guests probably don’t join any loyalty program

even if, booking directly probably you can get same (or better) benefits than at FHR

only stays i sometimes book by Amex travel (std one, not FHR) is when there is 100€ cashback on 300€
I somewhat disagree. I've never used HC, however in many cases I find the FHR benefits to be equal to or better than anything I would ever receive in a reservation through Marriott directly. This is most notable at properties classified as resorts. I've never booked an FHR rate that was more than $10 different than the standard refundable rate offered by Marriott and the benefit of breakfast alone at an RC would outweigh that many times over. When you add guaranteed 4pm checkout (something resorts almost never honor) and some kind of property or spa credit, that makes it a considerably better value than what Marriott offers its elites on their own. Now you could make the case that at a non-resort hotel the 4pm checkout should be guaranteed anyway, however that's about it. As noted, even Marriott elites don't receive complimentary breakfast at RC hotels.
Kacee and nexusCFX like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 8:46 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cmd320
I somewhat disagree. I've never used HC, however in many cases I find the FHR benefits to be equal to or better than anything I would ever receive in a reservation through Marriott directly. This is most notable at properties classified as resorts. I've never booked an FHR rate that was more than $10 different than the standard refundable rate offered by Marriott and the benefit of breakfast alone at an RC would outweigh that many times over. When you add guaranteed 4pm checkout (something resorts almost never honor) and some kind of property or spa credit, that makes it a considerably better value than what Marriott offers its elites on their own. Now you could make the case that at a non-resort hotel the 4pm checkout should be guaranteed anyway, however that's about it. As noted, even Marriott elites don't receive complimentary breakfast at RC hotels.
This is my experience as well. Virtuoso/FHR is just the BAR, so unless the hotel has special rates, which is generally not the case at RCs, you're just losing on the discount between the member rate and the regular rate which is always small. The only time I book RCs through marriott is to use my club upgrade certs. In every other case the FHR/Virtuoso rate has been a much better value.

Just an example I thought I'd check. I'm staying at the RC Berlin in May. For my dates, the current member rate for the base room at Marriott would come to 920 EUR for 3 nights. Virtuoso would be 939 EUR for 3 nights. An extra 19 euros to get breakfast, a $100 credit, and a contractually obligated one category upgrade if available? It's a no-brainer even as a platinum member just for the upgrade priority.

Although for the record, I used a club upgrade cert so I'm actually not staying on that rate, but I would have.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Mar 8, 2019 at 8:54 pm
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:40 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Although for the record, I used a club upgrade cert so I'm actually not staying on that rate
What rate are you paying?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dayone
What rate are you paying?
Less than that, as the rate back when I booked was lower at 260 EUR a night. At that time the BAR, Virtuoso rate, and the Z38 club upgrade + $100 credit rate were all the same, and the member rate was five or six euros less per night. For me club level at RC beats free restaurant buffet which is why I went for club upgrade instead of Virtuoso.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.