Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Remind me why I should stay at Ritz-Carlton now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remind me why I should stay at Ritz-Carlton now?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Luxury hotels like Ritz-Carlton, St Regis, and many in the Luxury Collection aren’t always or even usually about delivering the most or best elite benefits to the bulk of elite loyalty members. These luxury hotels usually are far more about delivering the nicest experiences, amenities, service, and food/beverage in great locations for people willing to pay for those.
Except St Regis, Luxury Collection (and I'll add Park Hyatt) manage to do both while Ritz Carlton chooses not to. So i agree folks either choose RC when other factors outweigh elite benefits (better location, nicer hard product, etc) or when there is no St Regis or LC available.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:03 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by boolean64
Except St Regis, Luxury Collection (and I'll add Park Hyatt) manage to do both while Ritz Carlton chooses not to. So i agree folks either choose RC when other factors outweigh elite benefits (better location, nicer hard product, etc) or when there is no St Regis or LC available.
Different brand standards are at play here. RC has a Club Lounge profit center that is critically important to its bottom line for owners and is a standard for the brand: free breakfast would pillage that profit center. That is why RC doesn't offer free breakfast, whether we like it or not.

That's also why some RC properties like Kyoto sometimes will offer free breakfast despite not being required to do so--there is no Club at the RC Kyoto.

The bigger question actually is why Edition hotels don't offer breakfast, since they have no brand standard reason like RC to evade that benefit. That's why Edition will lose almost always to W. It's a stupid distinction that hurts Edition wherever it competes with W.
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
My RC club experience is very limited, but comparing RC Mega Kuningan Jakarta club vs Keraton at The Plaza lounge, I can see why RC reluctant to provide it free for members.

As much as I like Keraton’s offering, it still can’t match RC offering.
They both doing a la carte menu and buffet for their meal presentations.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:22 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
To answer the thread question:
Because you want to stay in a luxury hotel with great service and food/beverage—and perhaps also because you are a fan of the Ritz Carlton Club amenities.
I would tend to agree with this. If for one particular stay I would like a Club Lounge, and in that city St.Regis / LC do not have a lounge, and my only options with a lounge are a Sheraton and a Marriott, I might very well pick RC and pay for the Club access rather than get the Club for free at Sheraton or Marriott.

I will also look at other chains before making that decision, but once again if there is a Waldorf Astoria and a Park Hyatt, both of which are unlikely to have a lounge, then for that trip if I would like a lounge then choosing RC is a slam dunk in those circumstances.

Of course it's never black & white and I won't pick a hotel 100% based on whether there is a lounge or not, but sometimes my preference for having a lounge is small, other times it is stronger.
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by escape4; Mar 8, 2019 at 5:13 am
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

how many people are changing where they stay?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:58 pm

RC has a Club Lounge profit center that is critically important to its bottom line for owners and is a standard for the brand: free breakfast would pillage that profit center. That is why RC doesn't offer free breakfast, whether we like it or not.
So you have the data to support your presupposition that the marginal loss in contribution from paying Club Lounge guests moving down to free breakfast would completely undermine the marginal gain in contribution from elites moving their business to RC due to it actually providing them with benefits? I say that in a way that sounds sarcastic, but if you do in fact have the financial model with inside data and empirically determined elasticities, well that would be pretty sweet.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RC offers free breakfast to guests booked via travel agents... (not corp rates and not free nights)

breakfast is viewed as something to give away because many do not use it, obviously can be different for certain status holders
SP03 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
RC offers free breakfast to guests booked via travel agents... (not corp rates and not free nights)
I don't know any RCs that give free brekkie just because a generic travel agent booked the reservation.

Cheers.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not generic, but pretty much all of them when talking about consortia like virtuoso as well as amex plat/cent. many FTers hold amex plat/cent for other reasons. and actually many other credit cards have launched competing programs, think some at lower fee levels. one citi still has 4th night free at most hotels.

personally ive become kind of annoyed at such agencies because ~$100 amenity credit is not based on spend

best value is for business travelers on inexpensive 1 night stays where they do not have corporate rates
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
not generic, but pretty much all of them when talking about consortia like virtuoso as well as amex plat/cent. many FTers hold amex plat/cent for other reasons. and actually many other credit cards have launched competing programs, think some at lower fee levels. one citi still has 4th night free at most hotels.
Um...virtuoso is not a typical travel agent. there is typically a premium involved in virtuoso rates vs. run of the mill travel agents.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:48 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Checked in last night at the Hotel Arts in Barcelona. We stayed here over 15 years ago and were very impressed and happily the hotel is as wonderful as we remembered it. The rooms are gorgeous, the staff is friendly and welcoming and the service is outstanding. The hotel exemplifies what a Ritz Carlton can be.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:23 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I don't know any RCs that give free brekkie just because a generic travel agent booked the reservation.

Cheers.

American Express platinum travel program where RC are listed offer continental breakfast,so why can’t they at least offer it to Bonvoy elite members, get not giving loungeaccess as their lounges offer an almost all inclusive experience which I find quite tacky but surely a complimentary breakfast would not hurt their bottom line. I was looking at staying on a paid rate at 2 properties in SE Asia but decided to go with LC and St Regis option as would at least be assured of some benefits. Disappointing to hear st Regis Singapore dropped the free drinks and decide to limit to one drink though, even though this is usually enough for us as we are not big drinkers
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fdem

American Express platinum travel program where RC are listed offer continental breakfast,so why can’t they at least offer it to Bonvoy elite members, get not giving loungeaccess as their lounges offer an almost all inclusive experience which I find quite tacky but surely a complimentary breakfast would not hurt their bottom line. I was looking at staying on a paid rate at 2 properties in SE Asia but decided to go with LC and St Regis option as would at least be assured of some benefits. Disappointing to hear st Regis Singapore dropped the free drinks and decide to limit to one drink though, even though this is usually enough for us as we are not big drinkers
When I book through FHR, I’ve always received a complimentary full hot breakfast for two at the RC. And admittedly, the Amex benefits are a big reason why I stay at RC properties, especially resorts I would otherwise avoid entirely. Because Amex guarantees 4pm check out, along with breakfast, hotel credits, etc, I will search for and stay at RC hotels where practical. Orlando is a great example of this where I would otherwise have crap benefits due to the resort status of most of the hotels in that area. By booking through FHR, I’m able to recieve basically the same benefits I get from my platinum status at standard hotels.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Does the FHR and Virtuoso rate are higher than members rate?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:15 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Does the FHR and Virtuoso rate are higher than members rate?
i have recent example on Ritz Abu Dhabi canal

Members rate Club room 3 nights April euro 1.125

FHR rate same room/dates euro 1.250

wirh FHR you have 100$ credit. So it compensates difference

more or less is same rate (both refundable until day before)

but i’ve to consider also:

-Marriott double points promo (I don’t know if with FHR I can get also double points as current promo) if booked directly

-booking directly with Marriott using Jewel I can get also 10% cash rebate.

-at the moment I can’t find rate for payment in advance on Marriott. Maybe I will find it in some days and it will be 15/20% cheaper ?

would be interesting also to understand if more chance to be upgraded at Club Suite (next level after club room) as Plat Member booking directly or be upgraded by FHR ...

Last edited by Dav77; Mar 8, 2019 at 6:32 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.