Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Remind me why I should stay at Ritz-Carlton now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Remind me why I should stay at Ritz-Carlton now?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
What exactly changed for those of us who are now Platinum Premiere. We don't get breakfast? No lounge access? Maybe a category room upgrade? I don't understand why I should stay at a Ritz-Carlton now...
Just stayed at Pentagon City RC on a Thursday night, which I would have thought was a slow time, got no upgrade, a room with a view of a roof, no arrival gift, no lounge, no breakfast, no fridge. Was greeted as a "platinum."

"Thanks for your loyalty" is literally "just talk" if nothing comes with it. They made a big deal out of selecting a snack from an iPad display but then didn't deliver it.

I'll be staying in Crystal City next time...I'll trade an extra Metro stop for breakfast and a lounge.

[added] to be fair, they did honor my late checkout request, so I didn't get totally stiffed. Oh, and I think I got the silver ELITE room key card.

Last edited by orca15; Aug 28, 2018 at 3:42 pm
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Another example of a LC with a lounge would be the Athenee (former LRM Plaza Athenee) in Bangkok. The SGS is also LC (not Sheraton) and almost has a lounge in their library plus happy hours for Plats (and others in certain room categories IIRC), although breakfast is in one of their restaurants.

The Hongta (LC in Shanghai) has a lounge and also had a rather good lounge when it was a StR.

Similarly the Singapore StR used to seem almost like it had a lounge with their happy hours for Plats, plus breakfast and the daily wine tastings.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
W Guangzhou has a lounge...and quite a few LCs in Japan, China, Thailand have as well. They are nice - on par w RC Lounges.

So again, I'll choose LC or STR over Ritz unless we see properties actively giving PPE suite upgrades.

Part or what is nice about clubs is the people you meet, esp if traveking alone. Met a few business partners this way .
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by Leopardz
Because they have beautiful properties, excellent service, and great lounges. Yes, you may have to pay for all of that. But luxury isn’t intended to be cheap.
Best service? Not anymore
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Question

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
What exactly changed for those of us who are now Platinum Premiere. We don't get breakfast? No lounge access? Maybe a category room upgrade? I don't understand why I should stay at a Ritz-Carlton now...
Even after all this time in the hotel business and working at many different brands...limited service, full service, and luxury I still do not understand why free breakfast is so important. First off if you think its free its not. It is baked right into the rate you pay. Second...the food quality is not all that good except at the top echelons of hotels. Maybe it is because I have seen so many prepared and been in so many kitchens. Many people I talk to about free breakfast dont even eat breakfast at home. What happens when you walk into a hotel?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:33 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Hotelboy, I think that one learns as you grow up that not everyone is like oneself. I rarely take breakfast either and would prioritise room upgrades, but when you’re in a time zone which sees you hungry in the morning and where breakfast is $50+ a person, it’s not hard to see that it can really add up over a holiday.

Other people meanwhile have breakfast on working days and might not be able to expense it - meaning threat to what might be a policy agreed with family about sticking to expenses when away from home.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I know this is an incredibly limited case, but if you have the Chase RC card and can use the club upgrade certificates and $100 credit on paid bookings it can totally be worth it. You can basically eat breakfast and lunch at the lounge, along with afternoon tea, snacks in the evening, etc. I personally think the actual paid rates for club access are ridiculous and I don't drink so I'd be losing a huge part of the value, but they are definitely a step above the lounges at any of the other Marriott brands. It made it a no brainer for me when I was choosing between the Marriott and RC in Berlin for a three night stay, and I'm pretty sure that Marriott is considered one of the best.

I do wonder if RC will have to step it up with honoring other benefits now that St. Regis and the LC are in the program though. Funny enough, RC Kyoto which is arguably the best RC in the world, has no club lounge and gives breakfast to elites.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
This year my teenage sons and I visited 3 RC properties as a PPE: Dubai Beach (cash), Hong Kong suite with lounge access (cash) and Guangzhou (points).
None were a significant price premium to JW's in the same location. All 3 recognized my status. All 3 made very helpful and useful contacts via email with us in advance of arrival, giving many good tips regarding airport transfer since it was our first time in all 3 cities. They also pre-booked some tickets to local river cruises that often sell out in advance.

Dubai and Guangzhou included the full restaurant breakfast buffet at no charge for my status without my asking. Dubai said no suite upgrades were available (and none were available for direct booking online 2 days prior). Guangzhou upgraded us to a better view room AND threw in full restaurant buffet breakfast recognizing that we transferred directly by car from the RC HKG to their property. The two hotels probably communicated while we were en route. Lobby and lounge staff addressed us by name. The HK lounge and cuisine was nothing short of spectacular and the corner suite on the 116th floor was reasonably priced even without the lounge access considering its uniqueness, so the lounge access was quite a bonus.

I have never had a stay at an RC that seemed overpriced to me, although I have only attended on leisure trips. If I was popping in and out on business and wanted a guaranteed free breakfast, I would have stayed elsewhere.

RC represents a good value proposition to us and PPE status meant something when we stayed there.

Last edited by FlyBitcoin; Dec 25, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
ugh, I just almost booked the RC Singapore but then realized they are not at all participating in the Marriott program. Yuck ... booked the JW instead. Their loss!
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:28 am

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
PPE Ambassador

Checked into the Ritz Carlton Coconut Grove using points last weekend. Was upgraded to a newly renovated suite. Did not even ask. Nice. I am noticing that hotels now are seeing status beyond platinum because three hotels in the last week's acknowledged PPE Ambassador
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:40 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dshafiee
Checked into the Ritz Carlton Coconut Grove using points last weekend. Was upgraded to a newly renovated suite. Did not even ask. Nice. I am noticing that hotels now are seeing status beyond platinum because three hotels in the last week's acknowledged PPE Ambassador
Thanks!

Please do post about the quality of your stay at that RC Coconut Grove if you get the chance:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-miami-fl.html

I have an upcoming stay there for work in early Feb. Thanks for any info or thoughts you can share!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: spg plat, krisflyer
No love for titanium elite..

I took the chance for 60k points redemption at the Rc Tokyo before it goes up to 85k points
I must say I’m underwhelmed

imho it’s way over rated
I much prefer the prince gallery Tokyo
and plus they have breakfast for plat/titanium elites
even though the lounge benefit has been removed
at least the breakfast is still there

I’m still at the rc Tokyo and I’m asking myself why??
No upgrade
no lounge
no breakfast
and it really looks like a nicer Sheraton

the prince gallery has larger and more modern rooms

of cos the view of Tokyo tower is nearer at rc if that matters for u ...

3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
I guess RC was there so people can burn money faster to reach ambassador tier.

Btw, St Regis Singapore removing their platinum happy hour now..... replaced by 1 drink voucher for plt and their guest .

Keraton at The Plaza Jakarta have a lounge, it used to be plt benefit but now supposedly change to option for welcome amenity benefit

I wonder if Marriott really pushing StRs and LCs to remove their lounge benefits to match RC offering ?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by kaizen7
I wonder if Marriott really pushing StRs and LCs to remove their lounge benefits to match RC offering ?
I seriously think that is what Marriott is pushing StRs into doing. I have not had any complimentary experiences in any of my 12 stays at high service oriented (majority in Asia) StRs and LCs since the start of the new year. Been talking to my Ambassador about it too and they have noticed it during their travels but haven't been able to pin down a change in a specific policy but it could just be due to a change in "spirit".
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:54 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
To answer the thread question:

Because you want to stay in a luxury hotel with great service and food/beverage—and perhaps also because you are a fan of the Ritz Carlton Club amenities.

Usually, this will be because there is no St Regis or Luxury Collection hotel available nearby that offers the same or better amenities, service, and food/beverage but no Club. Especially for those looking more for elite benefits like free breakfast.

Luxury hotels like Ritz-Carlton, St Regis, and many in the Luxury Collection aren’t always or even usually about delivering the most or best elite benefits to the bulk of elite loyalty members. These luxury hotels usually are far more about delivering the nicest experiences, amenities, service, and food/beverage in great locations for people willing to pay for those.

The contrast between those looking for elite benefits and those looking for and willing to pay for luxury is a big part of why there is so much cringe-worthy discussion that never seems to be resolved.
ntamayo, Aventine, rny321 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.