Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Post-merger status not recognized in Bangkok

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer

Backround
Prior to the trip we are presently on, my wife and I had 16 nights at SPG hotels on previous stays. This trip, prior to our present stay (4 nights in Bangkok at the Four Points), we had four other nights at the same Bangkok Four Points and 8 nights at the Four Points in Singapore. So, as we checked in for this stay, we should have had 28 nights credit, which I thought meant we were SPG Gold. Nope. Despite having my wife’s record number, the system showed no night stays at all, not even the 16 prior to this trip. So, we weren’t given much of a welcome at all and got a pretty sad room to boot.

I’m not sure if it’s just this hotel or not because during our stay in Sing, we were invited to a cocktail reception celebrating the combining of the two programs, precisely because we had more 5han 25 nights. To say we’re disappointed is an understatement. Maybe it’s a system glitch or maybe Marriot/SPG wants my loyalty, but isn’t willing to return that loyalty.

we’re coming back to BKK in November and had been considering an upgrade to the Westin. Now, we’re seriously considering either the Radisson Blu or the Intercontinental.

Am I incorrect in my assessment that 25 nights should have at least earned us a “Thanks SPG” member instead of being treated like something the cat dragged in?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 6:42 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Was there a specific benefit you were expecting that you were denied?
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, AA, KrisFlyer
At previous stays, we’ve had beverages and upgraded rooms. Even here, we’ve had extra bottled water before. We asked about a room upgrade and were specifically told we didn’t qualify. Yet at Singapore, they upgraded us to a river view room because of our status.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I don't think there's a single program where 28 nights = room upgrades (be it suites or even views)

Asian properties often go above and beyond (relative to say US ones)...just think of it as you received a nice benefit before that you didn't technically deserve
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by CaliforniaSteve
Backround
Prior to the trip we are presently on, my wife and I had 16 nights at SPG hotels on previous stays. This trip, prior to our present stay (4 nights in Bangkok at the Four Points), we had four other nights at the same Bangkok Four Points and 8 nights at the Four Points in Singapore. So, as we checked in for this stay, we should have had 28 nights credit, which I thought meant we were SPG Gold. Nope. Despite having my wife’s record number, the system showed no night stays at all, not even the 16 prior to this trip. So, we weren’t given much of a welcome at all and got a pretty sad room to boot.

I’m not sure if it’s just this hotel or not because during our stay in Sing, we were invited to a cocktail reception celebrating the combining of the two programs, precisely because we had more 5han 25 nights. To say we’re disappointed is an understatement. Maybe it’s a system glitch or maybe Marriot/SPG wants my loyalty, but isn’t willing to return that loyalty.

we’re coming back to BKK in November and had been considering an upgrade to the Westin. Now, we’re seriously considering either the Radisson Blu or the Intercontinental.

Am I incorrect in my assessment that 25 nights should have at least earned us a “Thanks SPG” member instead of being treated like something the cat dragged in?
Yes, if all was normal, 25 nights, would have put you at Gold and some recognition would have been appropriate. However, have you read they are in the middle of merging the programs and having issues? SPG is showing I have just under 500 LT nights and NO years of any status (which is very wrong). Others have reported various account issues. When you booked the stays would have made a difference as the properties are informed at the time of reservation what status you had then. I would hope that the properties are informed of the issues and if someone shows up with their membership card (or other proof of status) that they would honor that. I think your issue boils down to bad timing. You rightly had every expectation that thing would go smoothly, but MPG failed you. Not sure if they will be offering any service recovery, and finding anyone that is ready to deal with such things is unlikely.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CaliforniaSteve
Backround

I'm confused. You seem to have had 16 nights at the start of the trip, which would be Silver level and not qualify you for much beyond a thanks for your elite status and maybe a few more points. You had three stays of 4, 4, and 8 or 16 total additional nights, although I'm not sure what order. Even if the 8 nights were first, that would give you only 24 nights, which is still Silver. At best, the first of these three stays would have posted before your check in for the last one, assuming that they were consecutive. Status is based on the nights that have already posted to your account at check in, not stays that you've completed but haven't appeared in your account yet and certainly not future reservations.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: AF Plat, SPG Titanium
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I don't think there's a single program where 28 nights = room upgrades (be it suites or even views)

Asian properties often go above and beyond (relative to say US ones)...just think of it as you received a nice benefit before that you didn't technically deserve
Eh? Starwood offered enhanced rooms to 25 night golds for as long as I can remember. The vast majority of the time this could be a substantially better room.

Heck, they were even supposed to give enhanced rooms to Preferred Guest Plus members, which was free with AAA, etc. although that was a little toucher.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:32 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm confused. You seem to have had 16 nights at the start of the trip, which would be Silver level and not qualify you for much beyond a thanks for your elite status and maybe a few more points. You had three stays of 4, 4, and 8 or 16 total additional nights, although I'm not sure what order. Even if the 8 nights were first, that would give you only 24 nights, which is still Silver. At best, the first of these three stays would have posted before your check in for the last one, assuming that they were consecutive. Status is based on the nights that have already posted to your account at check in, not stays that you've completed but haven't appeared in your account yet and certainly not future reservations.
What?

they had 16 nights.

they're currently on a 4 night stay.

Before the 4 night stay, they had a 8-night and a 4-night stay, 12 additional nights.

16+12=28.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Status is based on the nights that have already posted to your account at check in, not stays that you've completed but haven't appeared in your account yet and certainly not future reservations.
Exactly. Also ... even if your trip wasn't in the middle of integrating the programs, nights don't immediately post when you check out and could take a few days to a week. Even then, an upgrade for someone at a lower tier could be very limited and depend on whether there are others at higher tiers. Additionally, upgrades at a Four Points might be pretty limited anyway since I presume most of the rooms are the same.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pvn
What?

they had 16 nights.

they're currently on a 4 night stay.

Before the 4 night stay, they had a 8-night and a 4-night stay, 12 additional nights.

16+12=28.
But assuming that one of those two stays hasn't posted yet, they have less than 25 nights.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wsommerv
Eh? Starwood offered enhanced rooms to 25 night golds for as long as I can remember. The vast majority of the time this could be a substantially better room.

Heck, they were even supposed to give enhanced rooms to Preferred Guest Plus members, which was free with AAA, etc. although that was a little toucher.
The potential for one (maybe a better view or higher floor) - I think you'll find in the US that didn't exactly do much for you. Thus, my point about Asian properties going above and beyond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.