Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Earning two platinum lifetime years in 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2018, 3:10 am
Original Poster

My understanding from reading numerous blogs is that I can get two lifetime platinum years in calendar year 2018, towards the ten lifetimes years that I require .

i understand that I can get one from twenty five qualifying stays at legacy starwood hotels, and another from fifty qualifying nights at Marriott hotels, in my linked but not merged seperate legacy Marriott account.

what I would like to know is what is the source of this — has Marriott put it in writing in their terms and conditions (I can’t find it ) or elsewhere, or is there any way to get Marriott to put it in writing?

The other understanding that I have , from answers that lurker gave in a long question and answer thread on flyer talk, is that past years as Marriott gold earned through the credit card count the same as other past Marriott gold years , as years towards lifetime platinum. I would like to know if this is true, where can I see it in writing such as in terms and conditions or elsewhere, or asking Marriott in an email (do they tend to honor what they put in writing in emails to members? I ask because I don’t know if they do, and I won’t spend the money or the points or the time if I am not in fact well on my way towards lifetime platinum).

Any advice appreciated. I know things are complicated now, but I would hope to have definite clear answers by the end of October. I don’t want to merge my accounts out of fear that I would lose the opportunity of getting two platinum years in 2018. As it is, I am missing future stays that I have paid for, year to date nights, and lifetime nights. I know that all that will be cleared up and restored, just some frustration and waste of time getting there.

Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:08 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Well, they magically "lost" 14 of my SPG nights, taking me from 37 to 23.

They magically failed to credit 2 meetings to my Marriott, keeping me at 30 instead of 50.

So I went from having a clear path to 2 Platinum years (I could easily add 13 SPG-based nights) and also to a Plat Premier overall total to losing a Platinum year and losing any chance at Premier.

I was already considering reducing my loyalty. But now I'm about ready to eliminate it.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Bonvoy Ambassador + LtG, Hyatt Globalist, United Silver
I asked a similar question in this forum and got the same response that qualifying with each legacy program (careful to only stay at that programs legacy brands) gives you two years of lifetime credit. I asked my SPG ambassador the same and after weeks of rather useless back and forth I finally received explicit confirmation from him that the above is true.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:26 am
Original Poster

Thank you tr2286. I don’t in fact have an ambassador, nor understand things as well as I would like to. Do you think — I realize it is just your opinion — that I can rely on what your ambassador said and the flyertalk writings?

My 50 Marriott nights will include 5 Marriott rollover nights, marriot 15 chase credit card elite nights , as well as 30 award nights post August 18 at one marriot legacy hotel ( a far from free mattress run). I believe that that is ok. My 25 starwood legacy award stays are also mostly mattress runs, in my city as well, in this case some prior to August 18 , some post August 18. I believe that that is what is required to qualify in each program.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:39 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Bonvoy Ambassador + LtG, Hyatt Globalist, United Silver
I have personally found the information on here to be very reliable. My ambassador was beating around the proverbial bush for a long time before giving me an explicit answer to the question so I also take that response seriously.

For what it’s worth, I already have 75ish SPG nights this year and will try to shift some of my stays to legacy MR properties to try and double dip on lifetime years.

Out of curiosity, it’s sounds like most of your stays and or nights are runs just to get status. If you are that far away from status is it really worth spending 30 or so reward nights if the purpose is just the status? Don’t get me wrong, I love my SPG platinum status and have definitely booked hotels to maintain it (last year I was at 98 nights so I did 2 nights to keep my ambassador) but personally wouldn’t blow 30+ nights for it.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:12 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
Where can one see LIFETIME YEARS in the SPG account now ?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
How many different threads do we need for this topic?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jared Ito
Thank you tr2286. I don’t in fact have an ambassador, nor understand things as well as I would like to. Do you think — I realize it is just your opinion — that I can rely on what your ambassador said and the flyertalk writings?
My pre-combined accounts reflect both SPG and MR Plat years this year
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:36 am
Original Poster

We probably don’t need a lot more threads

Originally Posted by craigthemif
How many different threads do we need for this topic?

what we really need , is direct clarification from Marriott about how things work in their program, as in actual terms and conditions , rather than leaks, trial balloons, contradictory information.

if that information was out there, perhaps I could understand it , and if i didn’t , perhaps properly trained Marriott customer service representatives could clarify it for me.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:45 am
Original Poster

You are probably right, platinum status may not be worth it

Originally Posted by tr2286
I have personally found the information on here to be very reliable. My ambassador was beating around the proverbial bush for a long time before giving me an explicit answer to the question so I also take that response seriously.

For what it’s worth, I already have 75ish SPG nights this year and will try to shift some of my stays to legacy MR properties to try and double dip on lifetime years.

Out of curiosity, it’s sounds like most of your stays and or nights are runs just to get status. If you are that far away from status is it really worth spending 30 or so reward nights if the purpose is just the status? Don’t get me wrong, I love my SPG platinum status and have definitely booked hotels to maintain it (last year I was at 98 nights so I did 2 nights to keep my ambassador) but personally wouldn’t blow 30+ nights for it.

i am really far away. If my two Marriott credit card gold years count as status years, and if I earn two years in 2018, I will still be one year and over a hundred nights short of platinum.

all the current and future stays are in fact paid for — I spent a fortune getting spg points via plastiq this summer.

i might have the opportunity to travel extensively for pleasure in 2019, I like hotels and destinations that I either have bookings at, or am contemplating.

some addictive activity playing this loyalty game, on my part.

however, if my two Marriott chase gold credit cards do not count, I will likely cancel virtually every stay, and stay with competitors or independent hotels. The Hyatt hotels in my preferred destinations are excellent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.