Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Leaving Marriott General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving Marriott General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
Quitting hotel loyalty and becoming a free agent was the best travel thing I ever did. So much happier now
Being free agent does have its advantage, way more options in every city around the world.
Even combined Marriott, Accor,Hyatt and Hilton wont have the number of options of a free agent
NYCtraveler likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Marriott seems to be shorting points consistently OUS - and yes you will need to force the issue with them. I just noticed I got shorted on my points in Italy.
I am experiencing this, too. I’ve been significantly shortchanged on stays
in the UK, Austria and Italy this year. Given the spend requirement to maintain Ambassador status, I am now sending monthly emails to my Ambassador asking for corrections.
I have fond memories of the mid-80’s, when the Euro approached parity with the dollar, and I used to leave with an empty suitcase and return with a full one. Perhaps Marriott’s FOREX schedule dates from that time.

Old May 30, 2019, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
Relatively new to Marriott, but I've just been into my points and seen that I have been given fewer points than I should have got at a property.

Removing taxes, etc. my spend was around $180.00, but the base points posted were 70 - that's points, not dollars.

Looking back, this also happened at another property the same week. Both in India.

Do I need to go back through all my stays to check this? Is this a regular trick with Marriott properties? If it is then I'm afraid life is just too short and I'll be back to Hilton.
This is a known issue and has been reported before, perhaps in the missing stays thread. I had one stay recently where the exchange rate was calculated incorrectly (I had 2 stays at the same hotel, and one was fine, the other was incorrect). A quick CALL to Customer Service and they fixed the incorrect calculation while I was on the line.

As far as going back through your past stays, for heaven's sake, yes! Marriott's awful IT is full of errors. If you care about your points, you should create a spreadsheet with anticipated points for each stay. When the stay posts, check to see if everything looks OK. It's easy to forget what you are due otherwise (welcome amenity, MAGC, promos, weekend bonus, etc).
Wozza2404 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
Not really new....

I did not know where to post this but I just wanted to say I am done with Marriott. I loved Starwood. Stayed for free hundreds of times.....free miles to fly free....it was a wonderful gift. This Marriott program is worth zero....absolutely zero....so sadly I say goodbye forever...I will have to stick with my Delta American Express and Citibank AA Mastercard...no more hotel stays for rewards.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:09 pm

Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Give Hyatt a shot, it's a pretty good facsimile of Starwood/SPG if you can make Globalist, best in class benefits at the top level
Old Jul 16, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
I had Lifetime Platinum status with both Marriott and SPG and now Lifetime Titanium (will qualify as Ambassador in 2019). I signed up for the Hyatt Globalist challenge 3 weeks ago and am moving the bulk of my business there given their expanded footprint. I expect I will still get some Marriott stays in going forward and will have the Lifetime Titanium to fall back to but its likely to be ~20 nights a year versus ~120-150. The primary driver for me moving away is the customer service (long hold times, lack of timely responses to email) and a breakfast benefit that I am can't keep track of and one which is very inconsistent.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Give Hyatt a shot, it's a pretty good facsimile of Starwood/SPG if you can make Globalist, best in class benefits at the top level
I can definitely relate to this. Being the second week here at Hyatt I was already acknowledged and upgraded twice to club access rooms with Explorist (from AA EXP) only. With the disappointing MAR summer promotion and lack of other incentives, no regrets going to Hyatt.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
I can definitely relate to this. Being the second week here at Hyatt I was already acknowledged and upgraded twice to club access rooms with Explorist (from AA EXP) only. With the disappointing MAR summer promotion and lack of other incentives, no regrets going to Hyatt.
Have a ton of personal stays coming up and looking forward to all my great new Globalist benefits!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Marriott has bonvoy’ed me back to Hyatt and also to some of its competitors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.