Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Leaving Marriott General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving Marriott General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by MrM2016
The IT problems are a nightmare. The call center wait times are tedious and once you get through the agent quality is variable. Bonvoy is a confusing muddle which even the staff are struggling with (I am still greeted more often as a Platinum or Titanium). There is insufficient enforcement of rules and numerous cases of properties doing what they want until the right escalation goes to corporate - just look at the St Regis Aspen thread.

But with all that, I am not going anywhere:
1. Platinum/titanium benefits make a genuine difference to my vacations. The guaranteed 4pm late checkout is the most important benefit for me, it lets me maximise stays on weekend breaks or simply when there is an evening flight. I have lost count of the number of significant upgrades I have received, often including a suite outside of North America/Europe. Even without a suite, it can make a huge difference. The top floor pyramid view room and balcony we received at Le Meridien Pyramids was breathtaking, for example.
2. The merger opened up incredible points redemption opportunities. Thanks to this I have stayed at Al Maha and have two Maldives vacations planned. Under the old SPG pricing I would have probably been only able to manage one of these on points.
3. When things have gone wrong for me, and with the IT woes they definitely have, Marriott have fixed them. Yes it was painful, but ultimately they did the right thing. The continued presence of the Lurkers on this board is also a huge help, obvious shout out to William.
4. Marriott's global footprint is unsurpassed and continues to grow.
5. Like many others I achieved lifetime status under the old eligibility criteria.

Are there negative changes coming? Yes. Peak points pricing is a steep devaluation. But even with that I do not see myself moving. Hilton lacks the guaranteed late check out, has poor suite upgrade policies and trashed their reward chart. Hyatt simply does not have a large enough footprint.

Marriott still has, in my opinion, the strongest hotel loyalty offering for those travelling extensively internationally. That doesn't excuse the failings at the start of this post, but it does mean I am prepared to continue to be patient, even if the program has a silly name.
These are all good points, and I expect Marriott will see less attrition from the Plats and above than it does from the lower tiers, particularly Gold. Maybe similar to Hyatt - keep the Globalists happy and shaft the rest.

That being said, prior to Bonvoy there was significant incentive for mid-tier elites (Gold) to direct stays to Marriott. Now there is none except for the devalued points. It was also relatively easy to earn Gold even for those who didn't spend weeks on the road. Of course this issue is not unique to Marriott, but it does give Hilton an edge where mid-tier Gold status is easy to obtain and retain and comes with better perks. Even Hyatt throws mid-tier Explorists a bone with lounge certs.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Hilton has IT/website that works. As well as CS that will reply to you within the space of a lifetime. I'd consider that a plus.
Actually it doesn't. Points will disappear for days after cancelling award stays for example. CS has proven to me on several occasions that they can't read basic English and have taken weeks to reply regarding lifetime nights, etc.. Simple stuff really. Nobody's doubting that Marriott CS is a disaster, but pointing to Hilton as "doing CS better" is giving them way too much credit.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Actually it doesn't. Points will disappear for days after cancelling award stays for example. CS has proven to me on several occasions that they can't read basic English and have taken weeks to reply regarding lifetime nights, etc.. Simple stuff really. Nobody's doubting that Marriott CS is a disaster, but pointing to Hilton as "doing CS better" is giving them way too much credit.
YMMV clearly but I've never had major issues. The only thing I can point to is the piggery that resulted from the system switchover in late October. Marriott OTOH has been a car crash since the integration (zero CS emails replied to, only the lurkers have been of use, account not combined after several weeks trying..)
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:22 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Boraxo
  • The most recent devaluation, i.e. massive hike in points needed for Cat 7-9 properties (incl. SPG Cat 7 and RC)
SPG's highest-tier (Cat 7) properties were 30,000-35,000 per night for a room, and 60,000-70,000 per night for all-suite properties. In Marriott terms, that's 90-105k for a room, and 180-210k per night for an all-suite property.

We had 9 months where we could get rooms for a very small fraction of that. I got 5 nights at an all-suite property for 240,000 points, just barely over what a single night would have cost under SPG. Even the current highest price, 100k during peak times, is less than what we would have had to pay under SPG.

I fail to see where the massive hike is.
Newman likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by craigthemif
A - another thread about leaving Marriott? Yawn.

B - complaining about the loss of "travel hacks" is a bit much. Go try out Hilton - where everybody can be elite if they are willing to run a Google search - and see what you get other than breakfast and some rapidly devaluing points...
Ditto.

It's the usual malcontents and chronic whiners that start these threads and contribute to them.
Is anyone really surprised that there were a few hiccups during and after to the merger? It took many years for the Continental Airlines rewards program to fully integrate with United.
Sometimes I think that there is nothing Marriott can do to make the endless nitpicking and complaining end... short of giving all of the whiners free rooms for a lifetime.

My solace is the more elite members that leave, the more chance for upgrades for me!

Arne, keep up the good work!

Newman
kalo93406 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
SPG's highest-tier (Cat 7) properties were 30,000-35,000 per night for a room, and 60,000-70,000 per night for all-suite properties. In Marriott terms, that's 90-105k for a room, and 180-210k per night for an all-suite property.

We had 9 months where we could get rooms for a very small fraction of that. I got 5 nights at an all-suite property for 240,000 points, just barely over what a single night would have cost under SPG. Even the current highest price, 100k during peak times, is less than what we would have had to pay under SPG.

I fail to see where the massive hike is.
So to provide some history for the SPG folks, prior to the merger the highest MR Cat 9 rooms were 45k per night (e.g. London). Now they are anywhere from 50-100% higher depending on dates, etc. So that's a massive hike.
Ritz were typically 50-70k points and many are higher.

As for SPG typically I found Westin rooms for 12k though top St. Regis ran 30k. So maybe not a massive deval at SPG high end though the 33% deval on SPG Amex everyday spend points is a big hit.

Yes many of us took advantage of the grace period to book top SPG properties at a discount. It was a nice carrot, but the stick has now arrived.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:15 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
The massive devaluatoon is at category 1 to 5 hotels many jumped a lot
Old May 30, 2019, 3:23 am

Programs: AA 8MM Exec,Life Plat, Marriott Amb,Life Titanium, ,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist.
After 18 years I just cheated....

I have been a most loyal SPG/Bonvoy member for the past 20 years. I stay 150+ nights per year and I am just tired with receiving no recognition after almost 2400+ lifetime nights. This year I achieved Ambassador status by April and I still have not received a letter or note from Bonvoy let alone a call from my ambassador. The only thing I receive for more stays is points and perhaps better upgrade chances, however Variety and recognition have become more important as I have gotten older. I have decided to diversify and begin a relationship with Hyatt......They have not diluted their program and do not grant status matches for people trying to "work the system"...Marriott lounges have been PACKED...I look forward to passing along my additional 70 nights to them for the rest of this year.....it is time and I do feel like I am cheating....strange.

That said, change is good and checking into a new hotel with zero status will be "what it is"......however I know that it is all for the best and now I open up a whole other group of possibilities......I just cancelled a 10 night stay with Bonvoy and Hyatt here I come! I also booked non refundable so I cannot cave

I will continue to "Bonvoy" for my favourite hotels etc, however I am turning over a new leaf! Safe travels to all!
NoY likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 3:35 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Hyatt ia the best
Old May 30, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Quitting hotel loyalty and becoming a free agent was the best travel thing I ever did. So much happier now
Old May 30, 2019, 4:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
That's why i split my 300 night yearly almost equally Marriott, Hilton, IHG. Europe just doesn't have hyatt even though i would love to move my IHG to there!
Old May 30, 2019, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
The top tier benefits w/Hyatt are heads and shoulders better than Marriott (better than Titanium too)...it's really amazing once you learn more about it. Get the Hyatt Visa to turbocharge your earning.

The grass is greener, as long as you don't need 4,000 limited service properties in every small town USA during your travels
NYCtraveler likes this.
Old May 30, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Relatively new to Marriott, but I've just been into my points and seen that I have been given fewer points than I should have got at a property.

Removing taxes, etc. my spend was around $180.00, but the base points posted were 70 - that's points, not dollars.

Looking back, this also happened at another property the same week. Both in India.

Do I need to go back through all my stays to check this? Is this a regular trick with Marriott properties? If it is then I'm afraid life is just too short and I'll be back to Hilton.
Old May 30, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Newman
Ditto.

It's the usual malcontents and chronic whiners that start these threads and contribute to them.
Is anyone really surprised that there were a few hiccups during and after to the merger? It took many years for the Continental Airlines rewards program to fully integrate with United.
Sometimes I think that there is nothing Marriott can do to make the endless nitpicking and complaining end... short of giving all of the whiners free rooms for a lifetime.

My solace is the more elite members that leave, the more chance for upgrades for me!

Arne, keep up the good work!

Newman
Lol, that might be pleasant for you as an elite customer, but it isn’t the way most CEOs of big, publicly traded companies get to keep their jobs. And the UA/CO merger is a great example of how not to do it.
Old May 30, 2019, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Marriott seems to be shorting points consistently OUS - and yes you will need to force the issue with them. I just noticed I got shorted on my points in Italy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.