Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Leaving Marriott General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Leaving Marriott General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Boraxo
As a former Marriott/SPG fan I am wondering how many others have decided to dump Marriott/SPG as your "go to" program. I say "fan" because I think the concept of "loyalty" is ridiculous - Marriott is a business, not a sports team.
Do you think a sports team is not a business?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Boraxo
  • Reduction in status due to Rewarding events / UA elite match
  • Decline in perks due to reduction in status (e.g. Plat->Gold) which resulted in loss of lounge access/breakfast
A - another thread about leaving Marriott? Yawn.

B - complaining about the loss of "travel hacks" is a bit much. Go try out Hilton - where everybody can be elite if they are willing to run a Google search - and see what you get other than breakfast and some rapidly devaluing points...
kalo93406 and Newman like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:09 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold, United Silver, BA Bronze
The IT problems are a nightmare. The call center wait times are tedious and once you get through the agent quality is variable. Bonvoy is a confusing muddle which even the staff are struggling with (I am still greeted more often as a Platinum or Titanium). There is insufficient enforcement of rules and numerous cases of properties doing what they want until the right escalation goes to corporate - just look at the St Regis Aspen thread.

But with all that, I am not going anywhere:
1. Platinum/titanium benefits make a genuine difference to my vacations. The guaranteed 4pm late checkout is the most important benefit for me, it lets me maximise stays on weekend breaks or simply when there is an evening flight. I have lost count of the number of significant upgrades I have received, often including a suite outside of North America/Europe. Even without a suite, it can make a huge difference. The top floor pyramid view room and balcony we received at Le Meridien Pyramids was breathtaking, for example.
2. The merger opened up incredible points redemption opportunities. Thanks to this I have stayed at Al Maha and have two Maldives vacations planned. Under the old SPG pricing I would have probably been only able to manage one of these on points.
3. When things have gone wrong for me, and with the IT woes they definitely have, Marriott have fixed them. Yes it was painful, but ultimately they did the right thing. The continued presence of the Lurkers on this board is also a huge help, obvious shout out to William.
4. Marriott's global footprint is unsurpassed and continues to grow.
5. Like many others I achieved lifetime status under the old eligibility criteria.

Are there negative changes coming? Yes. Peak points pricing is a steep devaluation. But even with that I do not see myself moving. Hilton lacks the guaranteed late check out, has poor suite upgrade policies and trashed their reward chart. Hyatt simply does not have a large enough footprint.

Marriott still has, in my opinion, the strongest hotel loyalty offering for those travelling extensively internationally. That doesn't excuse the failings at the start of this post, but it does mean I am prepared to continue to be patient, even if the program has a silly name.

Last edited by MrM2016; Mar 20, 2019 at 4:06 am
Old Mar 20, 2019, 2:23 am

Programs: Miles&Smiles Gold
No. Why I should. Biggest Hotel Group in the world.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:17 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
I'm shopping around a bit more than years ago where I got out of my way to find a "nearby" spg property. Currently staying at the Grand Hyatt in Rio e.g. instead of a Marriott property (still, Sheraton has been my first choice but its closed at the moment for maintenance). What's still great at Marriott: Lounge access, 4 PM checkout, breakfast (getting really complicated with different brands). After introducing seperate levels of Platinum at spg and now with Marriott I'm a basic level Platinum, so only mid-tier to say and I feel I don't get any good upgrades anymore. Let's see how this will be going at Hyatt. Main reason for my fading love of Marriott: The customer is definitely not the center of their concern - and if they don't love me anymore...
Old Mar 20, 2019, 3:51 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Sorry, for me is much more a “welcome to the paradise”... 😃

ex Accor-ist (platinum) with 100 business nights (middle level hotels mainly in Italy and France) per year + 30 leisure nights (high level hotels mainly Asia) per year since some years.

Joined Marriott this year and at the moment (on my experience at middle level hotels in Italy and France) I can say only “wow, welcome to the paradise”. The grass is definitely greener at Marriott. Even if actually i’m Gold compared to be Platinum at Accor.

Will have first leisure trip on next April then August then december at some high level properties (at these times will be Plat) and I let you know if I can confirm my first impressions.

Better IT
better tier recognition
better properties (and more recent)
better restaurants inside hotels
nicer and more kind/accurate staff almost everywhere

Newman likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:34 am
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Almost anything is better then accord
Yul_voyager likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by Dav77

ex Accor-ist (platinum) with 100 business nights (middle level hotels mainly in Italy and France) per year + 30 leisure nights (high level hotels mainly Asia) per year since some years.

Joined Marriott this year and at the moment (on my experience at middle level hotels in Italy and France) I can say only “wow, welcome to the paradise”. The grass is definitely greener at Marriott. Even if actually i’m Gold compared to be Platinum at Accor.

Will have first leisure trip on next April then August then december at some high level properties (at these times will be Plat) and I let you know if I can confirm my first impressions.

Better IT
better tier recognition

be careful for showing too much love for Marriott. You might be called out as a Marriott employee

then again Accor is really a not-so-good program in terms of the loyalty benefits.
Yul_voyager and Dav77 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
You forgot about changing coke to pepsi
pepsi is better so this was a nice win
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:00 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dav77

Better IT
better tier recognition

I was Accor Plat. I am really glad to have left that chain in the dust. I just don't think they come close to Marriott for recognizing loyalty. Also their footprint isn't even close within Asia where I do my stays.

This is my 5th year with Marriott and my first as a genuine plat (soon to be Titanium).

4PM checkout/lounge/upgrades and bonus points per tier of status are all great things. I'm pretty sure I can maintain doing 75+ nights a year for the next couple years. These are all on my dime, not work nights. This year I think I'll hit 100 nights due to the 1+1 bonus, credit card and event bonuses. I won't make 20k spend, but that's okay.

Yeah Marriott is hit and miss sometimes but I love the chain. For the lurkers out there, I've brought 2 coworkers into the fold. One is an Ambassador and the other is plat. We also do our work events at Marriott properties. We all love Marriott.
Newman likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No sure where to post this but rather detailed look at Marriott President and CEO Arne Sorenson’s opening presentation on Monday at the company’s biannual investor day in New York.

https://skift.com/2019/03/20/what-ma...on-and-google/
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by craigthemif
A - another thread about leaving Marriott? Yawn.

B - complaining about the loss of "travel hacks" is a bit much. Go try out Hilton - where everybody can be elite if they are willing to run a Google search - and see what you get other than breakfast and some rapidly devaluing points...
Hilton has IT/website that works. As well as CS that will reply to you within the space of a lifetime. I'd consider that a plus.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
A good way to win the “war” and “own” the customer - be less incompetent and unethical.

He still doesn’t seem to get it.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:24 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
He still doesn’t seem to get it.
Maybe, but on the flip side he could be right and a large majority of non-FTer customers may not be upset, contemplating moving to different chains, angry, etc. I guess time will tell which thought is closer to reality for the general market.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:49 am

It’s unfortunate that the Skift interview only raised the name of the program as a bone of contention. I suspect that of all the mega-SNAFUs hadn’t happened, then no one would care less about Bonvoy as a name. I know I wouldn’t ( and don’t much care in any case). In a way it became a lightning rod for all the other crap going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.