Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Leaving Marriott General Discussion Thread

Leaving Marriott General Discussion Thread

Old Sep 7, 18, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
I would love to check out Hyatt too (primarily to be able to sample PHs on vacation, and also as I have boatloads of URs I can transfer to them)...but I'd also like to have status without actually doing a challenge or otherwise paying for it :
The problem with Hyatt is their low and mid tier status levels are worthless, and it takes 60 nights for Globalist.

When I book Hyatt now, it's usually high end properties (e.g., Zurich), and I'll book an FHR rate if available. Hyatt also has Prive rates that offer similar benefits . . . these can be accessed via special Prive agents, one of whom pretty actively seeks business on the Hyatt forum.
Old Sep 7, 18, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL 1.2 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Total Rewards Diamond
Moving most of my business over to Hilton for the rest of the year but it has nothing to do with the merger issues. Now that I've qualified as Plat for next year here, I need to wrap up my requal for Diamond at Hilton.
Old Sep 7, 18, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Same boat - will be LTPPE and while I may still hit 100 Marriott nights annually, slim chance that I make $20K as I will probably only have 70-75 paid nights, and I'm not going to average near $300/night.

I would love to check out Hyatt too (primarily to be able to sample PHs on vacation, and also as I have boatloads of URs I can transfer to them)...but I'd also like to have status without actually doing a challenge or otherwise paying for it Have liked trying out non-big chain hotels too on past vacations and that could also be a good option going forward.
Wanting status without actually doing a challenge or otherwise paying for it? Isn't that the definition of a freeloader?
Old Sep 7, 18, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
Same boat - will be LTPPE and while I may still hit 100 Marriott nights annually, slim chance that I make $20K as I will probably only have 70-75 paid nights, and I'm not going to average near $300/night.

I would love to check out Hyatt too (primarily to be able to sample PHs on vacation, and also as I have boatloads of URs I can transfer to them)...but I'd also like to have status without actually doing a challenge or otherwise paying for it Have liked trying out non-big chain hotels too on past vacations and that could also be a good option going forward.
I did the Hyatt status match, no challenge required, back when Marriott acquired SPG and Yant offered status match.

I highly recommend Hyatt, if you can do 60 nights first year and then 55 nights afterwards for Globalist status. The 4 TSU is very nice for confirmed upgrades. I just checked out of HR SFO, and for the first time I was upgraded to one of their big suites on the 9th floor (Regency Club level), which is the size of 4 regular rooms.

I didnít think I was a going to be able to do 60 nights with Hyattís footprint. But somehow I ended up with 70 nights last year and now 59 nights and counting YTD.

You have enough hotel nights a year that I highly recommend giving Hyatt a try.
Old Sep 7, 18, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1KMM, Hyatt Explorist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
The problem with Hyatt is their low and mid tier status levels are worthless, and it takes 60 nights for Globalist.

When I book Hyatt now, it's usually high end properties (e.g., Zurich), and I'll book an FHR rate if available. Hyatt also has Prive rates that offer similar benefits . . . these can be accessed via special Prive agents, one of whom pretty actively seeks business on the Hyatt forum.
I don't mind burning URs to stay at a PH - don't get things like the breakfast benefit, but I would survive.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Wanting status without actually doing a challenge or otherwise paying for it? Isn't that the definition of a freeloader?
Yup! But those are my terms to be a Hyatt customer.

Originally Posted by CIT85 View Post

I did the Hyatt status match, no challenge required, back when Marriott acquired SPG and Yant offered status match.

I highly recommend Hyatt, if you can do 60 nights first year and then 55 nights afterwards for Globalist status. The 4 TSU is very nice for confirmed upgrades. I just checked out of HR SFO, and for the first time I was upgraded to one of their big suites on the 9th floor (Regency Club level), which is the size of 4 regular rooms.

I didnít think I was a going to be able to do 60 nights with Hyattís footprint. But somehow I ended up with 70 nights last year and now 59 nights and counting YTD.

You have enough hotel nights a year that I highly recommend giving Hyatt a try.
I think for revenue stays it's all or nothing for me...not just going to do a few stays here and there at a Hyatt. Need to look at some of my major US travel cities and see how well I can make them work.
Old Sep 9, 18, 8:35 am

Here's another Marriott moment on twitter - I've unfollowed you!

I could put up with the loss of points posting, the loss of stays posting, the loss of getting through to someone on the phone, the loss of my reservations showing correctly, the devaluation of my TP from Cat 6 to Cat 4, the loss of my promised breakfast at Courtyard, the ongoing saga of the website but I'm not going to have my time line filled with anymore of your Marriott moments spam!

Rant over and back to my scone and tea.....
Old Sep 10, 18, 1:27 am

Programs: SPG
The combined SPG/Marriott program is a disaster

I am a Platinum SPG(Starwood Preferred Guest) member.

I am also a Starwood member.

The combined program was supposed to be effective August 18, 2018.

Today is September 10, 2018.

I have new numbers for both SPG and Marriott and a combined new number.

I can log in to both SPG and Marriott Rewards using my email address and password. However, even if I have many stays in 2018, my SPG account shows zero stays, zero points, and zero reservations, even if I have several reservations made for 2018 and 2019.

Even if I am logged in to both SPG and Marriott, when I go to the function to combine my accounts, and repeat the same information, I get an error message that I am temporarily locked out and to try again in 30 minutes.

Before August 18, 2018, I had a 24/7 telephone concierge service for SPG. This has been discontinued. Now I can only call a Marriott 'service' desk 9 to 5. When I am able to reach them, I get the same robotic reply. Be patient.

When I email I get the same bot reply and a case number.

I have tried deleting cookies and trying again. No success.

I am sure other SPG members are experiencing similiar problems and would like to hear comments from them.

Brand loyalty has its limits. So far, this Marriott/Starwood merger has been a disaster.
Old Sep 10, 18, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
I think we need a new forum exclusively for all the "this merger sucks" threads
mcgahat and bhrubin like this.
Old Sep 10, 18, 4:58 am

Programs: WN A-list Pref., Marriott PP, National EX, UA Gold
I’m sticking with Marriott for now considering my options for next year. Not happy with many of the changes that are happening but I am going to stick with Marriott for now. Hilton is a tempting backup option since I can get top tier status with Aspire CC. Hyatt won’t give me a status match so not considering them.

Cons:
  • Travel package devaluation. I have been saving up points for a while and this is very disappointing! Not even worth using points on travel packages anymore.
  • Poor communication, execution of IT cutover and straight up lying about with is going on with IT problems. The status.marriott.com site was a joke.
  • Missing stays and other IT systems issues. Only had a couple of issues myself so can’t complain too much here.

Pros:
  • Some great redemption opportunities before the cat 8 goes into effect.
  • Having all in one website/app to book Marriott and legacy Starwood properties is great.
  • Ritz suite upgrades with PP status. Not holding my breath on this this one but nice to finally see some status benefits at Ritz.
unclepants likes this.
Old Sep 10, 18, 5:07 am

Programs: WN A-list Pref., Marriott PP, National EX, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts View Post
I guess itís my travel patterns, but I rarely need a late checkout. In fact, I often check out very early my last day at a particular hotel and go do some meetings and then head to the airport to head home (or another city for more meetings).
I value the late check on both work and personal trips. I don't use that often but it is great to have when I want it. Haven't had any late checkout requests denied yet.
Old Sep 10, 18, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC E75K 2MM former 14-year SE; UA MP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I will probably wait until the start of 2019.
Old Sep 10, 18, 7:56 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/5.7 MMer; MR: Lifetime Platinum Premiere 9.9M pts, 3100 night;
Originally Posted by devalier View Post
I am a Platinum SPG(Starwood Preferred Guest) member.

I am also a Starwood member.

The combined program was supposed to be effective August 18, 2018.

Today is September 10, 2018.

I have new numbers for both SPG and Marriott and a combined new number.

I can log in to both SPG and Marriott Rewards using my email address and password. However, even if I have many stays in 2018, my SPG account shows zero stays, zero points, and zero reservations, even if I have several reservations made for 2018 and 2019.

Even if I am logged in to both SPG and Marriott, when I go to the function to combine my accounts, and repeat the same information, I get an error message that I am temporarily locked out and to try again in 30 minutes.

Before August 18, 2018, I had a 24/7 telephone concierge service for SPG. This has been discontinued. Now I can only call a Marriott 'service' desk 9 to 5. When I am able to reach them, I get the same robotic reply. Be patient.

When I email I get the same bot reply and a case number.

I have tried deleting cookies and trying again. No success.

I am sure other SPG members are experiencing similiar problems and would like to hear comments from them.

Brand loyalty has its limits. So far, this Marriott/Starwood merger has been a disaster.
have you tried logging in with the specifics accout numbers (not email) using an incognito chrome browser? That seemed to have cleared up all my problems post 18 August.

Old Sep 10, 18, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jr1202sr View Post
I am feel everyone's pain. After getting locked out of transferring points prematurely, My lifetime totals are all wrong. I have been a SPG member since 2002. They only are giving me credit from 2017. I have email confirmations showing the status and nights and no help when I call, but a them creating a case # for someone "to review at some point".

I have 529 nights at Marriott (not counting SPG) and have been platinum every year since 2012 and they are showing me with 4 years of status and NONE of them platinum. I have about 12 years in total (over gold) dating back to when I started. Nobody can fix it, but they see it when reviewing my account on the phone. They don't have the "authority" to fix it but did create a CASE #.

So I have NO clue where I stand toward LTPP and nobody seems to care. I have about 20 hours on the phone with my problems with Marriott over the past month. I will never get that time back. The fact that they didn't prioritize merging accounts of their highest level clients first is plain stupid.
Forget the fact that my recents stays are still wrong and I am owed for 1 meeting still.

Oh and BTW while typing this I thought I would call and see if there were any updates to my cases. I just got hung up on after 16 minutes on hold.
I don't understand. You claim you have 529 lifetime nights, but 12 years of Gold+ including 5 years of Plat (assuming all on the MR side) would mean 5 X 75 nights + 7 X 50 nights = 375 + 350 = 725 nights at a minimum.
Old Sep 10, 18, 11:03 am

Programs: SQ(*G), A3(*G), LH(*S), SK, BA; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I think we need a new forum exclusively for all the "this merger sucks" threads
I think you would be the ideal Moderator for such a forum, given your..ahem..experiences so far
Old Sep 10, 18, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I don't understand. You claim you have 529 lifetime nights, but 12 years of Gold+ including 5 years of Plat (assuming all on the MR side) would mean 5 X 75 nights + 7 X 50 nights = 375 + 350 = 725 nights at a minimum.

Should have been clearer. I said all my lifetime totals are wrong and that includes the night total.

I now have 4 open case #'s with 4 problems I am dealing with and not one email or call Marriott about any of them despite being given a 3-5 day timeframe.

Beyond Frustrating.

Search this Thread