Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Leaving Marriott General Discussion Thread

Leaving Marriott General Discussion Thread

Old Aug 27, 18, 6:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by PDILLM View Post
I'm not necessarily leaving Marriott, but I refuse to book another room until they address this dumpster fire they call a merger. If Hilton continues to treat me well, then who knows......

When Hyatt switched their program I wrote them off.
+1. I've cancelled my upcoming reservations.

I am not going to commit to never staying in a Marriott property again, but for now I am walking away from Marriott. I already have my 75 nights this year, so I have no need to stay more to achieve status, especially a status I won't use. If someday I show up on flyertalk and see everyone saying that Marriott has made things right, then I will give them another try. Until then, Hilton, Hyatt and IHG will welcome my business.

I think the SPG lovers got blinded by the on property benefits from SPG, which were the absolute best in the industry, so the SPG lovers got blinded to seeing how awful Starwood IT has been. I welcome its death.
Old Aug 27, 18, 7:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by craz View Post

Ever since The Hiltons soldout to Blackstone who cashed out bringing it public again, it has gone down very fast
Absolutely, but as a Blackstone stockholder, I had mixed feelings.

After the massive Hilton award devaluation, I didn't think any other chain could do that much damage to their program, but after the repeated devaluations at Marriott/SPG, I'm now looking at Hilton as being no worse than Marriott for award redemptions.
Old Aug 27, 18, 9:03 pm

I'd give Marriott a few weeks to work through the kinks. My gosh. This is a major deal they are undertaking. The new reach, with both brands, is really great in my opinion.
Old Aug 27, 18, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by SacTownGuy View Post
I'd give Marriott a few weeks to work through the kinks. My gosh. This is a major deal they are undertaking. The new reach, with both brands, is really great in my opinion.
This is a rational comment, but I think people are really angry about the lack of honest communication / false messaging by Marriott. Mistakes will be forgiven, but when people feel they've been lied to . . .
oopsz likes this.
Old Aug 28, 18, 1:10 am

I've received an email from Marriott, I thought perhaps it would be addressing some of the issues. But no, it's just saying how great everything is now that the merger is complete and telling me to combine my accounts, which I did last week! Just checked status.marriott.com and that also confirms everything is ok. We must all be dreaming these problems. They don't exist according to Marriott..
Old Aug 28, 18, 1:48 am

Programs: Alaska MVP75K, United 1K, (New) Marriott Plat Prem
Sticking with Marriott. I'm not overly emotional about the merger and IT issues. Just a blip in the long loyalty game.

Personally, I don't think anyone will for anyone else be able to quell fears or ease anger if someone is righteously upset at Marriott right now.
Best to just move on. Best of luck at your new program!
JackE likes this.
Old Aug 28, 18, 8:03 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite; Hilton Diamond
I'm doing the opposite. I am joining Marriott from HH next week. I have spent a lot of time researching the two, and even with the merger (or maybe the merger is even a benefit), Marriott seems to have more meaningful benefits and actually care about their elite. HH does not, believe me they don't. (Oh, and I love the 4pm guaranteed checkout).

Yes, Marriott has negatives too. For example, HH's app is far superior to Marriott. (The digital check-in, select your room, digital key, message the hotel, etc). And yes, Marriott is having a hard time merging 6700 properties and 11 million loyalty members. Remember the disaster that United had merging Continental. It took well over a year.
Old Aug 28, 18, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jn in ca View Post
I think the SPG lovers got blinded by the on property benefits from SPG, which were the absolute best in the industry, so the SPG lovers got blinded to seeing how awful Starwood IT has been. I welcome its death.
I spent most of 2010-2015 as SPG Plat and never ran into any SPG IT problems. They had an issue where certain things required a phone call that should have been done online, but so do other programs. I never had a problem there where I lost points, stays, reservations, etc.

After the massive Hilton award devaluation, I didn't think any other chain could do that much damage to their program, but after the repeated devaluations at Marriott/SPG, I'm now looking at Hilton as being no worse than Marriott for award redemptions.
Yeah, if you play Hilton right these days, you're pulling 50+ points per dollar. Short stays can easily be over 60/$. It's just a bit frustrating that they devalue so frequently - full structural overhauls every few years - that you have to pay attention and always burn "old" points whenever you can. Your own "points math" changes on you fast, but you can still find decent awards out there. You have to mentally get past the fact that HH points were once worth about 2 cents each and now they are worth around 0.65. When they were worth more, you earned a lot fewer per dollar...maybe 25-30 as a Diamond with the right credit card.

Marriott/SPG deserve credit for keeping their programs more structurally stable over the years. Devaluation happened via category creep and on the fringes (C&P adjustments, etc.). Marriott's biggest two devaluations in my life as a member were entirely out of their control - they were decisions made by American and Southwest Airlines.

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
This is a rational comment, but I think people are really angry about the lack of honest communication / false messaging by Marriott. Mistakes will be forgiven, but when people feel they've been lied to . . .
Honestly, my frustration with Marriott is more related to incompetence and perhaps some dishonesty at the tactical level. It's painfully obvious they didn't test the systems involved with the merger very well, and it's painfully obvious their call centers were completely unprepared for the merger. Somewhere back at its origin, Marriott had a good intent of combining the programs and enabling most members to retain the benefits and experience they valued before the merger. Then the execution went off the rails, and I believe they never had a good answer for the Travel Packages. In hindsight, they probably should have implemented a simpler solution that was a little easier to code and for reps to understand - even if it was a little more generous to the members.

Originally Posted by flyou10 View Post
(Oh, and I love the 4pm guaranteed checkout).
Good news there is that Marriott installed the 4PM checkout into their app and their culture pre-merger. It has been really nice to note my checkout time in the app (up to 4PM) and not have to grovel for it at the front desk. Hilton is out of step with the rest of their competition by not offering something.
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Aug 28, 18, 1:33 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, United MM, Marriott Gold
The Hilton status match is tempting. It's easy enough to get Diamond until 2020.

I've merged today and kept my Marriott number, but I can't see my lifetime totals. Should that appear in 72 hours or am I miss where it's located now?
Old Aug 28, 18, 2:03 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyou10 View Post
I'm doing the opposite. I am joining Marriott from HH next week. I have spent a lot of time researching the two, and even with the merger (or maybe the merger is even a benefit), Marriott seems to have more meaningful benefits and actually care about their elite. HH does not, believe me they don't. (Oh, and I love the 4pm guaranteed checkout).

Yes, Marriott has negatives too. For example, HH's app is far superior to Marriott. (The digital check-in, select your room, digital key, message the hotel, etc). And yes, Marriott is having a hard time merging 6700 properties and 11 million loyalty members. Remember the disaster that United had merging Continental. It took well over a year.
Are there really *only* eleven million Starriott frequent sleeper program members worldwide? By contrast, DL has about ten times as many SkyMiles members, and they're more likely to be geographically concentrated in the USA.
Old Aug 28, 18, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LTPP, HH Diamond
I know airline programs are still vastly bigger than hotel programs, but I would have pegged the Marriott/SPG number a lot higher. I would have bet on something like 30 million Marriott plus 5-10 million Starwood. Or something like that... You'd have a few million really casual Marriott members, much like you have millions of very casual DL, AA, and UA members.
Old Aug 28, 18, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hyatt Explorist
That's ancient history. They hardly do any promos at all now.

As others have noted the biggest issue with Hyatt is footprint. There's also a problem with certain properties being renowned for improperly denying elite benefits and gaming the award availability rules. Much worse than Marriott on those fronts IMO.
Hyatt just launched this promo: https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/08/28/...ember-30-2018/ 1,500 points per night if you stay 40 nights.

Hilton also has a decent promo: https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/08/28/...anuary-3-2019/

Meanwhile, Marriott / SPG has no promo, 30 minute hold times for CSRs who canít do much, users who canít login, stays not posting, no ambassadors available yet, etc.

Last edited by getagb; Aug 28, 18 at 7:41 pm
Old Aug 28, 18, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1KMM, Hyatt Explorist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
This statement makes no sense...Starwood IT isn't causing these issues.
Old Aug 28, 18, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by getagb View Post

Hyatt just launched this promo: https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/08/28/...ember-30-2018/ 1,500 points per night if you stay 40 nights.

Hilton also has a decent promo: https://loyaltylobby.com/2018/08/28/...anuary-3-2019/
Thanks for confirming my point . The Hyatt promo is awful. 40 Hyatt nights in 90 days? Who's going to do that? Here are the numbers:
  • 5 nights 2,500 bonus points
  • 10 nights 5,000 bonus points (7,500 cumulative bonus)
  • 20 nights 10,000 bonus points (17,500 cumulative bonus)
  • 30 nights 17,500 bonus points (35,000 cumulative bonus)
  • 40 nights 25,000 bonus points (60,000 cumulative bonus)
In other words, 4 nights gets you nothing, 9 nights gets you 2500 points (277 per night), and 19 nights gets you 7500 (394 per night).

Hilton by contrast always has good promos. Earn has always been excellent in their program. The issues are poor elite benefits and points that are now worth about 4/10 cent each. And not enough high end properties.
krazykanuck and getagb like this.
Old Aug 28, 18, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott/SPG Plat, Hyatt Explorist
In other words, 4 nights gets you nothing, 9 nights gets you 2500 points (277 per night), and 19 nights gets you 7500 (394 per night).

Hilton by contrast always has good promos. Earn has always been excellent in their program. The issues are poor elite benefits and points that are now worth about 4/10 cent each. And not enough high end properties.
I will probably get closer to 50-60 nights in 90 days, but thatís just me. If the Marriott IT/CS meltdown doesnít turn around in a week or two my current plan is to max out the Hyatt promo, then either keep going for Globalist, or do the Hilton diamond status match.

Itís a shame because I really like Marriott and SPG, but theyíre basically impossible to do business with right now.

Search this Thread