Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Best Marriott/Starwood hotel on Big Island / Kauai?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

We are looking to add a few nights to our Hawaii trip next summer by going to either Hawaii or Kauai. We have been to both before but have not stayed at Marriott/Starwood properties. Of the following hotels, which would you recommend for 1-2 nights?

Koloa Landing @ Poipu
St. Regis Princeville
Westin Princeville Resort Villas
Mauna Kea
Waikoloa Beach Marriott

Other recommendations are welcome. The St. Regis is tempting simply because I know it's a bargain right now, but worried about getting looks from others since we are traveling with kids.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:12 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The Mauna Kea and the St Regis Princeville both have their advantages and disadvantages - but having researched the portfolios, I'm reasonably confident in saying they are the two best properties on offer.

I really don't know which I would recommend, I weighed up the two on reviews on the St Regis Princeville page.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
I've been to all of these except the Koloa Landing.

Considering all aspects I'd rate the 4 I've visited in the following order:

STR Princeville
Mauna Kea
Marriott Waikoloa
Westin Princeville

Judging only on the quality of the beach it would be the Mauna Kea hands down.

Since you're traveling with kids you should also consider the MVC side of the Marriott Waikoloa. It's a kid friendly location, the rooms are recently renovated and nice, and the beach and pool are good. For the money the Waikoloa property is probably your best all around value. I was unimpressed with the Westin Princeville. It felt like a bunch of town-houses in the middle of a residential development somewhat near the ocean (perhaps because that's what it actually is...).
Old Aug 23, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
Mauna Kea has its' downsides, but my wife and I loved our stay there purely for the beach, and found it easy to drive around to everywhere we wanted to go with ease.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for you input!

I should have mentioned we are using points, but they are all similarly priced (point-wise) and currently have availability. We are also LTPPE and while not looking for an upgrade or freebies during the summer at a resort, anything they throw at us would be a nice perk.

I will look deeper into Mauna Kea, St. Regis, and Waikoloa. A good beach would be great, since I'm not sure our other hotels have a nice one and I'd like to show the kids all sides of Hawaii.

Pete- I will look at your previous posts. I had done some digging but did not stumble upon them before.

Last edited by wanderlust99; Aug 24, 2018 at 7:26 am
Old Aug 24, 2018, 7:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Mauna Kea and St Regis are both great properties.

Marriott Waikoloa does have one advantage if the stay includes kids: it has a timeshare side, bookable with points, where every unit is a 1 bedroom suite with living room and kitchen. It's a very new and modern renovation (for the timeshares). Shares grounds with the regular Marriott side. Clean and pleasant, but not in the same luxury league with the top resorts. Also has free parking, which is nice because most Big Island trips are going to involve a rental car. (Although maybe your short one won't?)
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:48 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by wanderlust99
The St. Regis is tempting simply because I know it's a bargain right now, but worried about getting looks from others since we are traveling with kids.
We’ve been several times to the StR and always have seen many kids. I wouldn’t worry about it.

IMO the StR has the absolute best view and location of any luxury (or other) hotel in all of the Hawaiian islands, despite being a bit in need of refurbishment. We will return yet again for our 9th wedding anniversary in April 2019.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by bhrubin

We’ve been several times to the StR and always have seen many kids. I wouldn’t worry about it.

IMO the StR has the absolute best view and location of any luxury (or other) hotel in all of the Hawaiian islands, despite being a bit in need of refurbishment. We will return yet again for our 9th wedding anniversary in April 2019.
I will second that...

Besides what has been mentioned, other considerations of the STR can be weather and that the beach is pretty underwhelming (just the sand, not the view!) Also, and maybe this is just my thing, but there is a frequent opportunity to feel as though you should tip (not unique to this STR). Kids are prevalent, particularly during non-school times. I would still return in a heartbeat.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Mauna Kea because it is quite understated. When we stayed, I had no idea it was a Marriott until reading something about Autograph collection and then learning Autograph was part of Marriott.
Fantastic first stay at St. Regis many years ago. Second was no so great. Still visit on occasion and am always happy not to have booked it. These are the two higher end you have listed. The others not so much.
I'm no fan of Marriott, especially from what I have seen of what they call resorts in Hawaii.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Best Luxury property to replace my GH Kauai vacation

Since dumping Hyatt a year or so ago, I've been moving full steam ahead with the new SPG/Marriott program. I was already lifetime platinum with SPG so it made the most sense.
I used to hoard points and then every other year redeem for a suite at the GH Kauai for a week or so. Looking for someplace comparable to do this here.
We travel as a group of 6, my family (myself, wife and 2 boys ages 12& 14) and my in laws (healthy mid 70's). So I would like to get a suite for my family and a regular room for the in laws. Places like Hawaii work great because they are a fairly easy flight from ORD and have reliable weather for the most part...also have the ability to do multi generational activities.

I know it's a tough ask, but any suggestions on a replacement for the GH Kauai and the scenario above?!?!?
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:02 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bsdstone
Since dumping Hyatt a year or so ago, I've been moving full steam ahead with the new SPG/Marriott program. I was already lifetime platinum with SPG so it made the most sense.
I used to hoard points and then every other year redeem for a suite at the GH Kauai for a week or so. Looking for someplace comparable to do this here.
We travel as a group of 6, my family (myself, wife and 2 boys ages 12& 14) and my in laws (healthy mid 70's). So I would like to get a suite for my family and a regular room for the in laws. Places like Hawaii work great because they are a fairly easy flight from ORD and have reliable weather for the most part...also have the ability to do multi generational activities.

I know it's a tough ask, but any suggestions on a replacement for the GH Kauai and the scenario above?!?!?

I think your best bet might be The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas. For 60000 points you can get a large room with a balcony and a kitchenette with a fridge, dishwasher and microwave.

Last time we were at St Regis our friends stayed next door at the Villas with their 2 daughters and really liked it.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by damon88

I think your best bet might be The Westin Princeville Ocean Resort Villas. For 60000 points you can get a large room with a balcony and a kitchenette with a fridge, dishwasher and microwave.

Last time we were at St Regis our friends stayed next door at the Villas with their 2 daughters and really liked it.
We've considered that option...biggest drawback being we usually go in the Winter and the weather on the North Shore can be iffy...seen a lot of rain up there from Nov-Jan.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:23 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bsdstone
We've considered that option...biggest drawback being we usually go in the Winter and the weather on the North Shore can be iffy...seen a lot of rain up there from Nov-Jan.

We have frequently gone to the North Shore during that time and we only got burned once. In 2006 it literally rained every single day of our 2 week vacation. Most years the weather was gorgeous. But I get it-- If you roll the dice and lose you have a ruined trip.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
We just came back from Hawaii with 5 nights at the Westin Hapuna Beach Resort, 2 nights at Princeville Resort and 6 nights at GH Kauai, I've also previously stayed at Mauna Kea and Westin Princevile Resort 3 years ago.

We liked the Westin Hapuna Beach Resort, more relaxing and less crowded than Mauna Kea. All rooms have at least partial ocean view at the Westin, not so at Mauna Kea (my previous room had garden view as MR Gold at the time). As Plat, we had free full breakfast buffet for 2 each day which was very good. Breakfast buffet is $37. We walked over to Mauna Kea and found the beach to be more crowded, smaller and not as good for snorkeling than Hapuna Beach.

The weather was very good on the Big Island week before Christmas, occasional afternoon clouds and showers one afternoon (out of 5). There is enough to do and plenty of nice spots for snorkeling on the Big Island. Kauai forecast was rain everyday for 2 weeks, although we only ended up with 2 full days of rain out of 8. Princeville weather was terrible, one day of sun and rain pretty much everyday, not just afternoon showers. Surf conditions in Kauai around New Years were rough with steady winds, beaches were all flying red flags. Snorkeling at Poipu was decent with lots of fish, but crowded. There were 3 Monk Seals and 4 turtles that took turns resting/sleeping on Poipu Beach. Road west of Hanalei Bay is still closed (restricted to locals only) since the April flood. This meant the popular beaches on the North Shore are off limits.

If you are going over the winter, I would recommend The Westin Hapuna Beach Resort. The free breakfast for Plat is much better than breakfast at the GH Kauai Grand Club for Globalist. Although no resort fee and free parking is great at GH Kauai for Globalist.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CIT85
The weather was very good on the Big Island week before Christmas, occasional afternoon clouds and showers one afternoon (out of 5). There is enough to do and plenty of nice spots for snorkeling on the Big Island. Kauai forecast was rain everyday for 2 weeks, although we only ended up with 2 full days of rain out of 8. Princeville weather was terrible, one day of sun and rain pretty much everyday, not just afternoon showers. Surf conditions in Kauai around New Years were rough with steady winds, beaches were all flying red flags. Snorkeling at Poipu was decent with lots of fish, but crowded.
Yeah it really helps being in the lee of a 13,800 ft volcano when the storms are coming from the north . . . so the weather on the Kohala coast is going to be way more predictably good in December or January than north shore of Kauai. Coldest I've ever been in Hawaii was Hanalei in early December a few years ago . . . temp dropped to mid-60s and the locals were talking about ordering down comforters online!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.