Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Want to rebook SPG hotel under new rate..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Booked an SPG hotel months ago for five nights, translating to 192.000 Marriott points. Well it would now cost 140,000.

It is currently fully booked up as it is a smaller hotel. I called SPG and the reps refuse to do any sort of manual adjustment. My question is.. if I cancel will the room show up as available immediately? Will I risk losing the room altogether? It's such a large amount of points that I really don't want to waste them here but losing the room would really suck.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by leafs123
Booked an SPG hotel months ago for five nights, translating to 192.000 Marriott points. Well it would now cost 140,000.

It is currently fully booked up as it is a smaller hotel. I called SPG and the reps refuse to do any sort of manual adjustment. My question is.. if I cancel will the room show up as available immediately? Will I risk losing the room altogether? It's such a large amount of points that I really don't want to waste them here but losing the room would really suck.
Don't cancel UNLESS you can immediately re-book w/o the points going back into your account (as in, you have another 140K sitting around), as there have been plenty of reports of the points not going back in.

I have an Ambassador and she already said she's been told not to touch these until next week, so that should tell you something...
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Don't cancel UNLESS you can immediately re-book w/o the points going back into your account (as in, you have another 140K sitting around), as there have been plenty of reports of the points not going back in.

I have an Ambassador and she already said she's been told not to touch these until next week, so that should tell you something...
Oh I do have the points available. Just concerned that the room may show as unavailable. It is currently fully booked right now, otherwise I'd just book another room.

I think I may wait the week as the ambassador suggested.. just to give them time to work out any additional glitches.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I'm interested in this as well -- I had a few bookings for example at the St. Regis Florence at 375k for 5 nights, wondering if I could get any points back. But the stay is in 2 weeks and I wouldn't want to risk cancelling and rebooking in case they don't put it back in the booking pool.

Would help to take the sting off the travel package fiasco if I could get some points back.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador elite & lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Plat, Flying Blue Plat

If the property is fully booked, I guess the only option is to wait until customer care can help... I did book a new room and cancel the old one (in that order) 3 days ago, in a similar situation, but the property had rooms available.

Last edited by josep; Aug 23, 2018 at 3:51 pm
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mgchan
I'm interested in this as well -- I had a few bookings for example at the St. Regis Florence at 375k for 5 nights, wondering if I could get any points back. But the stay is in 2 weeks and I wouldn't want to risk cancelling and rebooking in case they don't put it back in the booking pool.

Would help to take the sting off the travel package fiasco if I could get some points back.
Yes that is one of mine as well fortunately not til next May

I do feel sorry for anyone who has one of these w/in the next week...
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by josep
If the property is fully booked, I guess the only option is to wait until customer care can help... I did book a new room and cancel the old one (in that order) 3 days ago, in a similar situation, but the property had rooms available.
Yeah my stay starts September 6th so the clock is ticking. Hoping by then they'll be able to help. Think I get a full refund if I cancel before September 2nd though so... Basically a week to give this a shot. I'd say it's not worth the risk but we're talking about a lot of points here.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AC 25k
book a new reservation and you dont need the points with Marriott to book and order certificates. then cancel old reservation, call in ask agent to order certificates.
i called in for my reservation they had manually adjusted the points and credited back the difference, that's the other option. call the platinum support line.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by versace991
book a new reservation and you dont need the points with Marriott to book and order certificates. then cancel old reservation, call in ask agent to order certificates.
i called in for my reservation they had manually adjusted the points and credited back the difference, that's the other option. call the platinum support line.
Unfortunately this only works if award space is still available. For myself and the original post the hotel is booked up.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mgchan
Unfortunately this only works if award space is still available. For myself and the original post the hotel is booked up.
Yup.

Well it looks like the day before has one room available. Seems like I can't change the reservation online but what if I call to try to adjust the dates? Maybe doing that would prompt the new rate? And then going back to the current dates after...

May be worth a try to call in and do that tomorrow.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Just to give an update I called a rep this morning, and he said he can't do anything. I then called back seconds later thinking of a different plan of attack. I first asked if it was any way possible for her to credit me the points and she said... Actually yes. So she did it and I got 52,000 points for my troubles. That's kind of awesome.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 7:29 am

There’s no guarantee a cancellation will return the room to inventory. The hotel may be oversold on that particular room category and the cancellation will not equate to a room newly available.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 9:22 am
Community Director Emerita

Here is my experience attempting to adjust existing Starwood awards:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...l#post30126185

I have been told that it will take 3 to 4 days for points from adjusted Starwood bookings to be returned to my account. This is from a booking made when it cost 35,000 SPG points and now costs 60,000 Marriott points. The agent had me on hold for more than 30 minutes to make the adjustment. I am unable to see anything on my side. The booking continues to show the points that were taken when the booking was made. Although I was given the 3 to 4 day marker, I was told it would happen when the hotel "syncs" to the Marriott platform.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:44 pm

Just to give an update I called a rep this morning, and he said he can't do anything. I then called back seconds later thinking of a different plan of attack. I first asked if it was any way possible for her to credit me the points and she said... Actually yes. So she did it and I got 52,000 points for my troubles. That's kind of awesome.
Did you call the SPG line or the Marriott line?

I called the SPG line a few days ago, the guy seemed to know what he was doing, but said he couldn't do it because it was an international property. So he said try calling in a couple days.

I called today (again SPG line since they are SPG hotels), the first rep couldn't understand the math, so she sent me to a supervisor who said they would have to do it manually but can't right now, try calling in a couple days.

At this point it's difficult to wait on hold 30-40 minutes at a time, and will be near impossible once I start traveling in a few days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.