FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   this certificate i have and how do i use it (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1926726-certificate-i-have-how-do-i-use.html)

kctigers Aug 22, 2018 3:39 pm

this certificate i have and how do i use it

hello all, i am a marriott member and i earned a megabonus certificate last year, i had it extended and now in my account this is what shows up: Unused Certificates (1)2017 Fall MegaBonus Free Night Cert Up To 25K Points

what does up to 25 k mean? how do i use this certificate now? is it good at former spg properties, before it was good at categories 1-5 properties, how do i redeem it?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance.
kc tigers.

drvannostren Aug 22, 2018 3:52 pm

Seems pretty self explanatory.

Up to 25k in points. Find a hotel you wanna stay at for 1 night, check the points value, as long as it's < 25,001 you've got a free night. When you go to "pay" there'll be a space to either enter a code from this cert, or it'll just say "pay with cert" or something.

Really don't know how to explain it any better than that.

kctigers Aug 22, 2018 3:59 pm

dear sir/madam,, i did all of this and there is no space to enter a code, or anything.

SanDiego1K Aug 22, 2018 4:49 pm

There's no code, but otherwise the explanation you were given was solid.
  1. Search for a hotel where you want to go. Click the "use points" box.
  2. When you see an option for 25,000 points or less, select it.
  3. A subsequent screen will ask if you want to use the award certificate already in your account. It also gives you the option of using points. Stay with the default. using your certificate.
  4. Complete your booking. Your certificate is attached.

Horace Aug 22, 2018 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by drvannostren (Post 30117146)
Seems pretty self explanatory.

Up to 25k in points. Find a hotel you wanna stay at for 1 night, check the points value, as long as it's < 25,001 you've got a free night. When you go to "pay" there'll be a space to either enter a code from this cert, or it'll just say "pay with cert" or something.

Really don't know how to explain it any better than that.

That's a good explanation.

If, for some reason, Marriott's website does not provide the option to attach the e-certificate, then I would complete the reservation anyway and call Marriott to attach the e-certicfate and return points to the account (if the reservation process grabbed points).

At least, that's how it's worked for years. It should still work for Rewards legacy properties. Right now, various things are not yet working as they should on the website. For SPG legacy properties, it might be necessary to make the reservation on the phone.

drvannostren Aug 23, 2018 4:34 pm

If all this is being followed, and still doesn't work, there's a chance there's a snag in the IT due to this merger somehow. In which case, I'd probably just wait and try again in a couple weeks, or call.

cfischer Aug 23, 2018 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by kctigers (Post 30117104)
hello all, i am a marriott member and i earned a megabonus certificate last year, i had it extended and now in my account this is what shows up: Unused Certificates (1)2017 Fall MegaBonus Free Night Cert Up To 25K Points

what does up to 25 k mean? how do i use this certificate now? is it good at former spg properties, before it was good at categories 1-5 properties, how do i redeem it?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you in advance.
kc tigers.

How us a Fall '17 megabonus cert still valid :confused:

cmculp Aug 24, 2018 2:14 am

My gripe is that these certs (also the one from the credit card) were good for cat 1-5 properties. Post program merger, they converted to 25k which is a cat4. In other words, downgraded after issue.