Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Warning - do not cancel SPG points bookings yet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warning - do not cancel SPG points bookings yet

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
Managed to get my points credited back to my account today by calling the Marriott (not SPG) line.

Even though it was an SPG reservation the agent had no problem pulling it up, seeing that the reward certificate was never canceled, cancel it and the points showed up in my account immediately.

I think the update done yesterday is the key - last week the could not even see the reservation on the Marriott side.
Interesting. On the SPG side they said there was now a note on my account saying the issue has been identified, and the fix is in the works with no ETA.

Any key language to reference when calling?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by tylerc
Interesting. On the SPG side they said there was now a note on my account saying the issue has been identified, and the fix is in the works with no ETA.

Any key language to reference when calling?
Not really.

I said, I have an award reservation I canceled on such and such date and the points were never returned to my acount. The reservation number is such and such. It was really that simple (well, the agent identified that I have another award reservation for the same property and time which I've booked with the lower points, and clarified which one I was referring to).

The way the agent explained the problem (certificate without reservation attached to it) make it sound very much the way Marriott do things. I'll try calling to the Marriott side of customer service as it might be easier for them to do.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 11:49 am

Not really.

I said, I have an award reservation I canceled on such and such date and the points were never returned to my acount. The reservation number is such and such. It was really that simple (well, the agent identified that I have another award reservation for the same property and time which I've booked with the lower points, and clarified which one I was referring to).

The way the agent explained the problem (certificate without reservation attached to it) make it sound very much the way Marriott do things. I'll try calling to the Marriott side of customer service as it might be easier for them to do.
So they tell me they can't fix mine because they show as redeemed, but if they show as issued it would be fixable....now I continue to wait.

I called Marriott and eventually ended up with SPG - Marriott side could not bring up the reservation.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:05 pm

Not really.

Thanks - will give this a try. Have you combined your accounts already? I haven't done this yet - was waiting for the points to be redeposited - and wonder if that will matter when calling.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by slariz
Thanks - will give this a try. Have you combined your accounts already? I haven't done this yet - was waiting for the points to be redeposited - and wonder if that will matter when calling.
I have, and the cancellation happened after the combination of the accounts. And I guess it does matter.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:13 pm

I have, and the cancellation happened after the combination of the accounts. And I guess it does matter.
Thank you! Will combine the accounts then and give Marriott CS a call... fingers crossed!
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by slariz
Thank you! Will combine the accounts then and give Marriott CS a call... fingers crossed!
Well, called Marriott reservations who could see that the points were never redeposited. Put on a long hold, but they didn't redeposit them - instead, I now have a Marriott case number. Said should be redeposited within 5 days, but have zero confidence in this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Was chatting with a SPG agent just yesterday. And while this lady seemed fine and all, she was as in the dark as the agent I spoke with the day before... and the day before that.

She was not sure how many points you could transfer to other members. She thought 100k. But is that per year or? That's kinda important to know.

She was not sure how or where exactly the Platinum breakfast benefit might apply. Some hotels without lounges offered it in SPG but will this continue?

When I said I had some reservations I may need to cancel, she said she heard this, but was not 100% sure if it was true or not:

My reservations are in Munich at a former SPG property. Two are 64k stays and one is 71k. She actually thought that if I cancel them now, I will only get back 64+64+71k points now! So not 2:1 or 3:1 but 1:1!
WOW!

She said that there had been mumblings about how someone thought customers were going to try to book a ton of res and then cancel them later to get 3:1 and they wanted to prevent this.
HUH?

My reservations are better off given to someone who wants to go in my stead!

I do not like Marriott
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:28 am

Still nothing here...anyone else have luck getting their points returned?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tylerc
Still nothing here...anyone else have luck getting their points returned?
Nope. I was able to open a case with corporate customer service, but that doesn't seem to have helped anything. And this was on a reservation that the agent canceled without my permission (I was trying to get a Cat 7 adjustment and without asking me she canceled before making a new reservation).
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not able to access my SPG booked C+P stay, which is probably a blessing , let alone to cancel it. My Ambassador cannot help either. I am not in a hurry as stay is in January 2019 yet I hope this gets resolved soon.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:12 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
My Ambassador emailed me today to say I would get my refunded 90K points in the next 48 hours for my upcoming StR San Francisco 3 night stay.

She also emailed me to say I would be refunded my other points on upcoming stays in late Sept/Oct and beyond sometime in the next 7 days.

Sounds good to me.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhrubin
My Ambassador emailed me today to say I would get my refunded 90K points in the next 48 hours for my upcoming StR San Francisco 3 night stay.

She also emailed me to say I would be refunded my other points on upcoming stays in late Sept/Oct and beyond sometime in the next 7 days.

Sounds good to me.
just as a refresher to those of us who havent followed all of this, will the return of points go in as 3:1 or something else?
beachmiles likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:17 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Marathon Man

just as a refresher to those of us who havent followed all of this, will the return of points go in as 3:1 or something else?
Points are refunded in the new currency. I booked 3 nights for 90K SPG points. That now would be 270K points. The hotel now only costs 180K for 3 nights. So I get back 90K.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Points are refunded in the new currency. I booked 3 nights for 90K SPG points. That now would be 270K points. The hotel now only costs 180K for 3 nights. So I get back 90K.
oh hmmmm

so they adjust to what the rate would be now w new currency...

so heres my issue

i booked three 64k rooms at a property that isnt even avail for points right now it’s so busy. What will I get back? 192 or some weird number less that equates to something they actually dont even have available?
beachmiles likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.